MY11 A3 2.0TDi 170BHP S line review

mjh56

Reaction score
Firstly this is not really aimed at those who know Audi inside out, its really for those visiting forum and are maybe thinking of switching to Audi and particularly looking at an A3.

It might be of passing interest of debate also, as I am sure my opinions will not be shared by everyone :laugh:

Edit: MY10 to MY11 changes

1. The wing mirrors are a lot smaller and with my 'fold in' option that tuck in nicely in an upward motion. The switch itself is nicer as its in a chrome finish
2. Chrome on top of handles
3. Black Pillars
4. The rear light cluster
5. Chrome on the front fog lights.
6. Stop/Start

So changes are minimal to say the least, but the light cluster and particularly the wing mirrors are good changes to the previous MY10 model

Delivery:

Ordered July 5th arrived 21st October.

Colour:

I had the metallic black previously and now have the brilliant black, and initial impressions are that I personally prefer the brilliant simply as it looks black all the time, where the metallic did look 'dusty' a lot of the time. I have washed it and given it a good coat of Collonite and it just looks amazing, a real deep black and we will see how it lasts, particularly as she is going to be a working car and do the miles so the 'used' look will be more than the showroom one!

Bose Upgrade:

I love the multi CD changer over the single, just feeding the CD into the head unit is quite cool and they sit 1-6. Also have my Ipod hooked up, though its not full compatability really as it selects the first 5 play lists in CD 7-11 and CD 12 is simply going through the Ipod as a list, but there are no names, its simply track one, two etc..

The sound? Well its good, very good 'but' so was the original system really and you cannot really get the full experience with passengers in the car as it would deafen them! I have been out and about on my own and the sound is great, but worth the upgrade? For the sound alone, I would say no as difference is marginal really, but for having the multi changer and maybe the speaker plates with BOSE to sadly impress friends haha, then yes.

I traded the paint for the sound upgrade and I am happy with the choice as I like the multi changer, but I admit spending equivilent pounds on another extra would not really lessen your Audi A3 sound experience that much.

RIDE:

I read many a review on the ride of the S Line with the sports suspension and its scathing to complimentary. I have been in other Audi and BMW without sports suspension and they are pretty smooth rides there is no doubt 'but' for me, it depends what you want from your car?

My previous car history includes a couple of MG and I like to feel in touch with the road when I am driving and the S Line gives me that. On a bumpy road you do feel the bumps, but they are not intrusive and nothing like the 'bone shuddering' I have seen described. The suspension for me just allows me to feel part of the driving experience as you can push it into bends and with the Quattro it feels like its on rails.

On way back from a run out today it was quite wet and you just feel in full control, there is no wallow, no moments of 'feeling' the car is not doing as you want..

On the motorway its totally smooth and as good as any of the non sport cars I have driven.

So at end of the day it depends on what you want, if you want a luxury no bump ride then avoid this model, if you want a good overall ride and an amzing driving experience then this is a no brainer.

Start/Stop

New to me and its a bit freaky to start with!! You pull up at lights and then you are listening to the music as if sitting in a showroom, as the engine does what it says on the tin and stops! Lift the clutch and its instant start and off you go..There is the option to turn it off but apart from the weirdness of sitting somewhere with no engine noise is non intrusive.

2.0 TDi Engine (170BHP)

Firstly, yes it does have 2 exhausts!! So a debate that ended a while ago really, but confirmation in person. In reality a small thing but I am glad it has...The badge does not have the 2.0 TDi its just 'TDi'

I wanted the Quattro having had this previously and knowing the 'on rails' drive experience it gives me and I wanted diesel for obvious fuel reasons and that only comes in the 170BHP package.

Firstly the 'diesel' noise is hardly noticeable, sure you can hear it if listening for it, but its not something you really notice given how quiet it is.

The power is something you get used to, and really get to like :w00t: When you are just driving around in town traffic its not really noticed, its quite a normal experience of regular accelleration and slowing down, but once you have an opportunity to go through the gears and put foot down a little the power comes in an enthralling rush of accelleration (Remember this is relative to car describing and not a statement of other cars abilities) and to just know thats there and with the Quattro placing it all down on road is a lovely feeling to have.

I have done 200 miles on a mix of town, lanes and motorway since had car and I have on the trip computer 47.4 MPG.

As a combination of economy, power and driving experience the Audi ticks all the boxes for me..

Room:

My wife and three fully grown teenagers were all in the car today and its a bit of a squeeze for the middle teenager in width but its not to bad, with height and rear leg room no issue. I would say its perfect for 4 adults and two adults and three children but any other combination would be a little more comprimised. Think those well over 6ft might not be as comfortable in the back.

The 3 door has the 'easy entry' seats, but do not believe that, as my family make it look like 'hard entry' seats...there is a technique thats for sure and once got it, then its a small issue, but the way the seat comes forward and slides is not easy, you need to apply some technique and force..

The seats themselves are excellent, offering great support and comfort and enough options to adjust for me as my position is now perfectly comfortable...

Onto other things.

I am quite into understated, I do not like my car to be waving banners of intent, the slightly lowered muscular look of the Audi is enough for me and the interior is the same, its minimal in look, but every dial and switch just has that extra 'quality' you desire..

The Astra SRi that just went back had the interior quality of an Amstrad power tower, so its good to be back in a cabin where the quality alone allows for a pleasurable experience.

Summary

When my previous Audi was totalled I had the choice of BMW, Mercedes and VW and went and test drove all and the closest I got to changing was for a top spec VW Scirocco. But in the end I went back to the Audi as it just ticked all the boxes.

1.The lines of the 3 door combined with the S Line and in Brilliant Black means to me she looks amazing sitting out there, and though I do not see the alloys I chose that often I personally love them as finishing the look perfectly
2. The drive experience of the power, Quattro and the 'sports' ride is in one word fun!!
3. The cabin experience is superior
4. The fuel return is superb

So, for anyone thinking of an Audi over a BMW, VW, Mercedes or any other similar range car, you will not be disappointed with choosing the A3.

5102245108_0f177efb09_b.jpg

5102244266_3ceaf00e9f.jpg

5102244686_2f17b4cf14.jpg

That would have likely have bored all well established Audi owners and its hardly the professional view, but to anyone new to Audi looking for an honest 'amateur' view I hope that maybe would have helped a little...

Still in the euphoric state of driving an Audi again after a 16 week break and just sharing that still I suppose, so be gentle with me as my withdrawal symptoms were long and prolonged :sm4:

Last edited:
interesting that you prefer brilliant black over Phantom...

other than the wheels which i'm not really a fan of it's a very nice car. glad you're happy with it!

any plans to mod it?

best of luck

S.

The fact that I used to notice quite readily how 'dusty' my previous A3 looked made it an issue for me, and in certain lights she would look quite grey...There was also times, again in certain light when she would sparkle of course..

But instant reaction to the briiliant is that I prefer it, it looks so lovely, a real glossy deep black...Though I will revisit this post in 6 and 12 months and update as I have read all the concerns over maintenance. I have given her a coat of Collonite after reading those comments and we will see if that maintains the paint quality also...She is a working car though, so will get pretty dirty this winter no matter the colour!!

I have seen the wheels are not everyone taste but I have always liked the 20 spoke so for me it was never even a decision to ponder.

There will be no modding as its a lease car so not allowed to play with her, but I am considering selling my VW Bora 2.0 Sport and getting a 2 hand A3 as I love some of the mods I have seen here...

My review was honest and now having got the BOSE 'upgrade' I would maybe not have gone for it if known how little real difference it is in sound...Though as stated the Multi Changer CD is something I really like as variety of music on hand is something I like at a press of a button and add in my 5 IPod playlists, I now have more than enough :eek:)

Nice review. Regards the BOSE though, trust me - if you think it's only a marginal upgrade from standard then you've not had it nearly loud enough :D

both my cars have had BOSE so i can't really comment.

i think it's quite a good system, esp for the money you pay. i think when we factory ordered my old 1.6 it was £320 or something?

my 2.0T was 2nd hand and i thought about going for a car without it and putting in an aftermarket system, but decided that for a decent system you'd pay a lot of money and this was a good compromise. i'd rather have spent the money on handling and power upgrades anyhow.

To be honest I have only been out on my own in it for about 5 miles, but I am due a trip to Nottingham next week so will no doubt have it up loud and give it a true test. Bit of Stairway to Heaven full blast maybe ;o)

Had the Black Eyed Peas on today 'The End' and that does show off the acoustics really well...

It is good and there is great clarity in what I was listening to today, but unless my memory is really deserting me, my 09 system had the ability to be be loud and clear also....

Will update next week if feel a change in mind, or a slight altering comes around...

Good write up pal! Looks lovely too! Your exhaust tips look bigger than an S3's?? Lol

Weird that the "2.0" is gone - is this now standard on all the TDI models - just "TDI" and nothing else?

Are the folding mirrors standard on MY11 models? Option? Aftermarket add-on?

Do they fold in when you lock the doors like on the C-Class?

Congrats on the car btw.

I hope they are not standard as I have paid for the option - great looking car !

Folding mirrors have never been standard, optional, but I can fit oem ones to 8P's amongst others & no afaik they still dont auto fold on lock/unlock.

On full MMI equipped cars you can set the mirrors to fold with the central locking. On "lesser" models you have to manually switch them yourself.

Nice review. Regards the BOSE though, trust me - if you think it's only a marginal upgrade from standard then you've not had it nearly loud enough :D

I have to agree on this. My car has Bose and my parent my10 doesn't and the sound from the Bose setup is far superior.

With regard to the s-line suspension I think post 08 cars have softer suspension and softer seats as the ride in mine is stiffer than our my10 which is a 170tdi s tronic s-line...

On full MMI equipped cars you can set the mirrors to fold with the central locking. On "lesser" models you have to manually switch them yourself.

Yes on newer vehicles its possible but not 8P's, with this being the last facelift I doubt will ever come through as an oem solution either.

So is this something that i can do myself or has it got to activated through vcds , thanks ?

Didnt you read what I just wrote???

Hi, new to the site and have currently ordered an A3 black edition in ibis white. I was a little concerned about the "harsh ride" but have found your review really useful in setting my mind at ease. I did have a very short test drive in one, but the dealership was on a new development, so nice smooth new roads! Great car by the way.

If your iPod is big enough, re-rip/download the songs in Apple Lossless (ALAC) format: and if you're using CDs made from ripped tracks, re-make them from the ALAC version. The consensus between most audiophiles I speak to is that the source is a major factor in sound quality - if you rip CDs to MP3 you lose quality which you may not notice with cheap headphones or speakers, but once you get into mid range/top end stuff it makes a difference.

I got to the stage where I deleted all my MP3s and re-ripped/downloaded them in either lossless or 320kbps MP3 (still not ideal)

With lossless tracks, the Bose really shines.