Keyless ignition retrofit?

Shane.

Reaction score
After seeing an RS5 fitted with the keyless entry/ignition system was quite amused by it (primarily the ignition bit as looked so much better just getting in and pushing a button to start without turning a key atall) anyway had this discussion with another asn member and an audi sales rep the other week on wether it would be atall possible. Done abit of searching and think I know the answer but thought I would ask the question anyway.

So anyone done it/seen it done/know how to do it?

Thanks
Shane

After seeing an RS5 fitted with the keyless entry/ignition system was quite amused by it (primarily the ignition bit as looked so much better just getting in and pushing a button to start without turning a key atall) anyway had this discussion with another asn member and an audi sales rep the other week on wether it would be atall possible. Done abit of searching and think I know the answer but thought I would ask the question anyway.

So anyone done it/seen it done/know how to do it?

Thanks
Shane

There was a thread a year or 2 back of somebody fitting the RS4 starter button in their car, but I don't think it removed the need to still put the key in the ignition. Looked pretty smart though, positioned in place of the cigar lighter.

Yeah seen the RS4 button done in a few cars but with some of the new range there's an option to have "advanced key" which is about £500 quid, which in my mind says it can't be that much involved to it. Basically the guy not only had keyless entry to the car but he threw the keys on the dash pressed the start button and that was that. From what I can gather it's a chip in the key and some receiver in the car.

Thanks
Shane

personally i don't see the point unless you don't actually have to put the keys into the ignition. if you work out a way do please put a thread up on how to do it because i'd be interested.

Nigel & I discussed it slightly once regarding an OEM approch. You would need a system off of a car that uses the same can gateway & central electric module as an A3 so that it can be coded to the car. IIRC, the cars that share the same system as the A3 are A3, TT, R8, Golf V, Passat ?. Dont know if any of them support a KESSY system though.

The Rocco supports Kessy which is the one I'm researching atm with some help hopefully.

I did the RS4 start button originally & it does require key still, tbh I only did it as I had it left from my S4 B6, so thought why not see if possible as its only a PTT circuit which is actually the same as the key does in the barrel tbh to the starter, pity cant overide the barrel with no use for key, oh well.

That's exactly what I'm trying to find out can the barrel be completely bypassed same as the "advanced key" option on alot of the new audis, so basically it would just be the button to start the car so you cold leave the keys in your pocket.

The Rocco supports Kessy which is the one I'm researching atm with some help hopefully.

I did the RS4 start button originally & it does require key still, tbh I only did it as I had it left from my S4 B6, so thought why not see if possible as its only a PTT circuit which is actually the same as the key does in the barrel tbh to the starter, pity cant overide the barrel with no use for key, oh well.

i did notice with the new vagcom that it is possible to code the central electrics and intrument cluster with keyless entry perhaps with the roc locking system this has now become possible something i always kinda wanted though not to the extent of changing the whole locking system

my last car (2007 suzuki swift) had this, it was soo much better never having to use a key, its the one thing i miss about the car...

Saw a thread where a guy added it to his Q7, apparently it was a case of an aerial in the dash, new keys, new handles and the relevant coding.

Yeap those are the new things to add, but remember the current keys have the immo coil in the barrel so unless you want to stick a working immo chip next to the barrel 24/7/365 then you cant do with the current setup, it would be seriously insecure & then just need a hotwire huh.

Do none of you guys ever lock your car, walk off and then think "Did I lock the car?" and turn round and walk back to your car to check the handles etc.? (or is it just me?) If I had keyless entry, wouldn't my car unlock as I approached it again, so I wouldn't know whether I'd locked it or not? I could end up spending all day walking to and from my car !!!!

Do none of you guys ever lock your car, walk off and then think "Did I lock the car?" and turn round and walk back to your car to check the handles etc.? (or is it just me?) If I had keyless entry, wouldn't my car unlock as I approached it again, so I wouldn't know whether I'd locked it or not? I could end up spending all day walking to and from my car !!!!

lol, yes i check mine alot, but i just unlock and re lock it as Staz kindly added the beeps for me so I can hear it now!

I can imagine loads walking back and to their cars! that would be funny lol

lol, yes i check mine alot, but i just unlock and re lock it as Staz kindly added the beeps for me so I can hear it now!

I can imagine loads walking back and to their cars! that would be funny lol

I got Leon to put the beep on mine aswell :) so much easier. Good man that Leon

Yeap those are the new things to add, but remember the current keys have the immo coil in the barrel so unless you want to stick a working immo chip next to the barrel 24/7/365 then you cant do with the current setup, it would be seriously insecure & then just need a hotwire huh.
Just a thought, but if the barrel is just a switch with an immo coil, couldn't you have the button installed, with a relocated immo coil on the dash (or wherever), place the keys on the dash and hit the button?

If you just hit the button then you wouldn't be able to start the car anyway without the immo stopping it.

i think you could solve the whole key problem, and not have an ignition or start button or anything. you'll have a handle sticking out the front of the car though

Chatting to a mate about this earlier, he said surely the Kessy would sort the key problem, only complication could be the steering lock. But this could always be changed to an electrical lock system from a passat would be alot of work though so costs would rack up.