Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    3rd Gear

Status

Keyless ignition retrofit?

After seeing an RS5 fitted with the keyless entry/ignition system was quite amused by it (primarily the ignition bit as looked so much better just getting in and pushing a button to start without turning a key atall) anyway had this discussion with another asn member and an audi sales rep the other week on wether it would be atall possible. Done abit of searching and think I know the answer but thought I would ask the question anyway.

So anyone done it/seen it done/know how to do it?

Thanks
    Shane
    STUFF FOR SALE: DLS R6 Midbass drivers, MFSW 3 spoke and Pioneer P88RS II
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:
    3 door A3 8P custom doorbuilds

please contact for more info

2. # ADS
    ADS

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
    After seeing an RS5 fitted with the keyless entry/ignition system was quite amused by it (primarily the ignition bit as looked so much better just getting in and pushing a button to start without turning a key atall) anyway had this discussion with another asn member and an audi sales rep the other week on wether it would be atall possible. Done abit of searching and think I know the answer but thought I would ask the question anyway.

So anyone done it/seen it done/know how to do it?

Thanks
    Shane
    There was a thread a year or 2 back of somebody fitting the RS4 starter button in their car, but I don't think it removed the need to still put the key in the ignition. Looked pretty smart though, positioned in place of the cigar lighter.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

5th Gear

Status
    Don't know about the keyless but this is the RS4 button:

Audi Retrofit

YouTube - Audi A3 Start Button
    Moved to the Darkside click below:

3rd Gear

Status
    Yeah seen the RS4 button done in a few cars but with some of the new range there's an option to have "advanced key" which is about 500 quid, which in my mind says it can't be that much involved to it. Basically the guy not only had keyless entry to the car but he threw the keys on the dash pressed the start button and that was that. From what I can gather it's a chip in the key and some receiver in the car.

Thanks
    Shane
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

6th Gear

Status
    personally i don't see the point unless you don't actually have to put the keys into the ignition. if you work out a way do please put a thread up on how to do it because i'd be interested.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

6th Gear

Status
    Nigel & I discussed it slightly once regarding an OEM approch. You would need a system off of a car that uses the same can gateway & central electric module as an A3 so that it can be coded to the car. IIRC, the cars that share the same system as the A3 are A3, TT, R8, Golf V, Passat ?. Dont know if any of them support a KESSY system though.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

6th Gear

Status
    the R8 doesn't? that surprises me
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    The Rocco supports Kessy which is the one I'm researching atm with some help hopefully.

I did the RS4 start button originally & it does require key still, tbh I only did it as I had it left from my S4 B6, so thought why not see if possible as its only a PTT circuit which is actually the same as the key does in the barrel tbh to the starter, pity cant overide the barrel with no use for key, oh well.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

3rd Gear

Status
    That's exactly what I'm trying to find out can the barrel be completely bypassed same as the "advanced key" option on alot of the new audis, so basically it would just be the button to start the car so you cold leave the keys in your pocket.
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

Gievf Buckets

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    The Rocco supports Kessy which is the one I'm researching atm with some help hopefully.

I did the RS4 start button originally & it does require key still, tbh I only did it as I had it left from my S4 B6, so thought why not see if possible as its only a PTT circuit which is actually the same as the key does in the barrel tbh to the starter, pity cant overide the barrel with no use for key, oh well.

i did notice with the new vagcom that it is possible to code the central electrics and intrument cluster with keyless entry perhaps with the roc locking system this has now become possible something i always kinda wanted though not to the extent of changing the whole locking system

2007 S3 PhantomSchwartz

Spec | Auto Lights | Black Headlining | RNS-E with 6 CD Changer | Phone Prep | Facelift Tails | MFSW | Cruise | Bluetooth | Adaptive Bi-xenon Headlights |

Mods
    | MY10 Facelift | 75% LED's | Sepang Bronze Facelift Alloys

Plans | LED 3dr tails | BBK Setup | Some BBS | Custom TBE |

Quote Originally Posted by N8
    Yes, but they are OEM Phaeton Helios alloy wheels, not cheap ****e aftermarket piles of poop.

Lacks Car Funds...

Status
    my last car (2007 suzuki swift) had this, it was soo much better never having to use a key, its the one thing i miss about the car...
    2005 A3 S-Line 2.0 TDI 140 DSG

Factory: Full Black Leather - BOSE- Lights Pack - Winter Pack - Arm Rest
    Mods: iTray - Black Optics Grill - UK Pressed Plates - Bluefin - Cruise Control - Lamin-X - Rear Aero Wiper - S-Line Spoiler - Black Diamond Brake Pads - Wheels Refurbed, Gunmetal Grey - Eibach Sportline Springs
    To Do: Wheel Spacers
    Dreaming Of: RNS-E - Bluetooth - FBMFSW - S3 Rear End - MY11 Rear Lights - Big Brake Kit

3rd Gear

Status
    Saw a thread where a guy added it to his Q7, apparently it was a case of an aerial in the dash, new keys, new handles and the relevant coding.
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Yeap those are the new things to add, but remember the current keys have the immo coil in the barrel so unless you want to stick a working immo chip next to the barrel 24/7/365 then you cant do with the current setup, it would be seriously insecure & then just need a hotwire huh.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    Do none of you guys ever lock your car, walk off and then think "Did I lock the car?" and turn round and walk back to your car to check the handles etc.? (or is it just me?) If I had keyless entry, wouldn't my car unlock as I approached it again, so I wouldn't know whether I'd locked it or not? I could end up spending all day walking to and from my car !!!!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by One Spoke View Post
    Do none of you guys ever lock your car, walk off and then think "Did I lock the car?" and turn round and walk back to your car to check the handles etc.? (or is it just me?) If I had keyless entry, wouldn't my car unlock as I approached it again, so I wouldn't know whether I'd locked it or not? I could end up spending all day walking to and from my car !!!!
    lol, yes i check mine alot, but i just unlock and re lock it as Staz kindly added the beeps for me so I can hear it now!

I can imagine loads walking back and to their cars! that would be funny lol

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah's A3 View Post
    lol, yes i check mine alot, but i just unlock and re lock it as Staz kindly added the beeps for me so I can hear it now!

I can imagine loads walking back and to their cars! that would be funny lol

I got Leon to put the beep on mine aswell so much easier. Good man that Leon
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

1st Gear

Status
    Next job - activate the beep!

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Yeap those are the new things to add, but remember the current keys have the immo coil in the barrel so unless you want to stick a working immo chip next to the barrel 24/7/365 then you cant do with the current setup, it would be seriously insecure & then just need a hotwire huh.
    Just a thought, but if the barrel is just a switch with an immo coil, couldn't you have the button installed, with a relocated immo coil on the dash (or wherever), place the keys on the dash and hit the button?

If you just hit the button then you wouldn't be able to start the car anyway without the immo stopping it.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Neutral

Status
    i think you could solve the whole key problem, and not have an ignition or start button or anything. you'll have a handle sticking out the front of the car though

3rd Gear

Status
    Chatting to a mate about this earlier, he said surely the Kessy would sort the key problem, only complication could be the steering lock. But this could always be changed to an electrical lock system from a passat would be alot of work though so costs would rack up.
    STUFF FOR SWAPS:

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
    would be alot of work though so costs would rack up.
    Paving the way never is cheap, as Nigel LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benskin07 View Post
    I got Leon to put the beep on mine aswell so much easier. Good man that Leon
    yeah he was so helpful and patient. Now we have VCDS lol so we can play with it now!

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread