Time for a build thread....big turbo

S3Alex

Rarely neutral
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I've done a few bits and pieces to the car so far,but finally thought it was time to get a thread of some sort going.So far its had.... Revo Stage2+ Forge CAIForge DVForge catch can kWv3 suspensionEibach ARBsHaldex race controllerMilltek exhaustVolkswagen Racing brake kit Most of the work so far has been done at AMD Essex

Last edited:
Reactions: agentjay and Revo Steve-W
Keep it intact though, dont strip it out etc, makes it bonkers fast but still standard-ish looking.
I like that.
Good luck with the build.

cheers
paul

Reactions: Andyb5tdi
Sorry for not replying earlier....found I couldn't upload pics,and couldnt sort out the formatting on this outdated browser here!
Anyway...It's an ATP GT3071 kit from GT3Turbo,plus all of the assorted fittings,and will also be getting a VWRacing fast road lower engine mount,and an RS4 fuel pressure regulator.
ATP were a bit slow to respond initially to queries,but once we'd found the right people there,the help has been excellent,and GT3Turbo have also been extremely helpful.Carl@Revo was very helpful indeed with advice re internally and externally wastegated turbos(basically avoid the internal ones),and they will be supplying the mapping.
The work will be done at AMDEssex,who have done virtually all of the work on the car so far,and been superb.

Last edited:
Reactions: NL316 and pinterovski
Keep it intact though, dont strip it out etc, makes it bonkers fast but still standard-ish looking.
I like that.
Good luck with the build.

cheers
paul

Hi Paul.Looks completely stock apart from being 2cms lower.
I've had one stripped out car previously and I still want some comforts at my age!

Reactions: grainqey
Lets hope it doesnt end up the same way as S3BigAndy's did.

Lets hope it doesnt end up the same way as S3BigAndy's did.

Agreed...all of the advice I've had from AMD,Revo and others such as JonnyC was that running to 420bhp was well within safe limits,and would be reliable,but after that,I would need to do the rods,bolts and pistons.

Andy wasnt exactly gentle with his,and was running far higher levels of boost on stock internals and relying on water/meth injection to deal with combustion chamber temps,and that isn't what I'm after at all here.
The other thing that coincided was his well publicised drag race over many miles at full throttle with an R8 V10.

I hope I've been very careful here,and checked with all of those who've either done it before,or know the issues concerned,but the torque levels will also be kept down to avoid any other problems.

GT30 is really laggy though, Dan told me, his full boost comes in at 4k

Is that S3-Dan?

If so,he's running a GT3076,with high boost,and thus will have significant lag to contend with on both counts.
This is a GT3071,which is a smaller compressor,and whilst there will be more lag than with the K04 for instance,it won't be as bad.
Also the a/r of both compressor and turbine were chosen so as to try and cut it to a minimum.

I haven't got permission to post pictures as of yet,so the best I can currently do is to link to my other build thread here...

VAGOC.co.uk | VAGOC.co.uk

If this isn't permitted,maybe an administrator or moderator can let me know and I'll load the pics etc here as well.

Damn cant see got to join:(

I PM'd FactionOne to see if I can get to upload a few pics here but have yet to receive a reply.

If linking isn't allowed then I'll remove the thread link obviously.

What makes you think you don't have permission to post photos Alex?

Will be watching this on VAGOC, good to see something interesting for a change rather then the usual- S line Conversions and MY09 Rear lights , haha!

I am considering a BT on my car next year...hmmm. Although I would probably go uprated internals straight away, with me having an AXX block.

Will be watching this on VAGOC, good to see something interesting for a change rather then the usual- S line Conversions and MY09 Rear lights , haha!

I am considering a BT on my car next year...hmmm. Although I would probably go uprated internals straight away, with me having an AXX block.
Hi akash....

I think from what I've been told,on a TFSi as opposed to S3 internals,you'd be best advised to do so.

The torque and bhp limits I've been quoted as being reliable on the S3 are up to about 420lbs and 450bhp,with obviously the torque being the main limiting factor in that lot.
JonnyC has said that it is possible to run up to 450bhp reliably on that,but from the TFSi starting point,you'd need the pistons,rods and bolts.

If I get tired of 420bhp(!) then I'll keep that lot in mind for next year,but I'd be looking also at the Supertech valves and a better intercooler,and would probably do the intercooler first,to run the base power more effectively as the weather heats up....unlike this year!

Reactions: pinterovski
Hi akash....

I think from what I've been told,on a TFSi as opposed to S3 internals,you'd be best advised to do so.

The torque and bhp limits I've been quoted as being reliable on the S3 are up to about 420lbs and 450bhp,with obviously the torque being the main limiting factor in that lot.
JonnyC has said that it is possible to run up to 450bhp reliably on that,but from the TFSi starting point,you'd need the pistons,rods and bolts.

If I get tired of 420bhp(!) then I'll keep that lot in mind for next year,but I'd be looking also at the Supertech valves and a better intercooler,and would probably do the intercooler first,to run the base power more effectively as the weather heats up....unlike this year!

Are not fitting a pro alloy intercooler, or is that planned for later?
If not, just go for a THS FMIC, exact copy of the APR one but a lot cheaper, Steve at Stattler and many others use one, there good esp for the money.
Yes I know I would deffo go internals straight away. Just depends on my car plans and general plans in life at the time. May decide to change for a Z4M coupe or Monaro VXR or something else left field!

All that stuff has gone right over my head seeing as i have a standard 2.0TDI 140 Black Edition. Although those figures sound pretty awesome good luck with it all. would be interesting to see some videos of performance like that found a few on youtube of s3 kicking out 330bhp and they were amazing but 420 is in another league!!!!

All that stuff has gone right over my head seeing as i have a standard 2.0TDI 140 Black Edition. Although those figures sound pretty awesome good luck with it all. would be interesting to see some videos of performance like that found a few on youtube of s3 kicking out 330bhp and they were amazing but 420 is in another league!!!!
S3s with 330 bhp are a dime a dozen!
Stage 3 like this one are much rarer over here in the UK. In the US there are many 2.0TFSIs running uprated internals and BT setups.

S3s with 330 bhp are a dime a dozen!
Stage 3 like this one are much rarer over here in the UK. In the US there are many 2.0TFSIs running uprated internals and BT setups.

Out of curiosity how much does it cost roughly to get a standard s3 to 330hp? and how much hassle? The old man is looking at getting rid of his and i fancy something fun never know if it isnt too much could be worth looking at.

Are not fitting a pro alloy intercooler, or is that planned for later?
If not, just go for a THS FMIC, exact copy of the APR one but a lot cheaper, Steve at Stattler and many others use one, there good esp for the money.
Yes I know I would deffo go internals straight away. Just depends on my car plans and general plans in life at the time. May decide to change for a Z4M coupe or Monaro VXR or something else left field!

I'd be getting the ProAlloy one I think.

Bigger than the S3 which is already about the size of the TSH,and similarly priced.

Out of curiosity how much does it cost roughly to get a standard s3 to 330hp? and how much hassle? The old man is looking at getting rid of his and i fancy something fun never know if it isnt too much could be worth looking at.

You need the exhaust and a cold air induction kit to get the best of this,so you'd be looking at the thick end of £1200,but you can get that sort of power without the induction kit...just about.

Build coming along quite well so far.

Turbo and manifold are fitted,and we've just encountered a little problem with the intake downpipe clearing(or not) the brake master cylinder.

GT3Turbo are finding a way around this now.

I can't upload any attachments currently and have asked but until then...no pics.

Some very helpful input from GT3Turbo of which more on Monday.

Should help anyone else thinking of splashing out.

wow im jealous.. was looking at the BSH WOA kit last night :wub::wub::wub::wub:

The WOA kit is horrendously expensive,and by the time it gets over here,after delivery,duty and tax it weighs in at over £5k,and considering it does still need a lot of fitting and adjusting,it just seemed a step too far.

I went for the ATP GT3071 kit,and we have a few options in terms of both inlet and exhaust manifolds to consider.

I can't post any attachments here despite asking,so if anyone is interested,they're all over at VAGOC.

Exhaust and intake going on now.

About time to update this.....in the intervening time,the car has done about 20 000 miles with no problems other than a cracked HPFP electrical connector,which has been seen before.
It's now been in for new,uprated pistons and rods,an AEM water injection kit,and a USP Motorsports auxiliary fuel pump,and hopefully a good few more horses after the running in is done.
AMD have done their typically thorough and very neat job in installing everything,and as always,have my thanks and respect for their efforts.

Time for a bit more,and a few pics.The clutch has been replaced,with a Spec Stg3+ and steel flywheel.
specclutch.jpg

fwheel2.jpg

fwheel1.jpg

gbox.jpg

A very neat boost controller install by AMDEssex.
No visible wiring or piping,and the usual tidy engine bay installation.
P1000626.jpg

P1000625.jpg

P1000622.jpg

Reactions: Unitronic and pinterovski
Humour from AMDEssex.....this is for the boost controller.
P1000627.jpg

Reactions: Craig-P, daithi23, voorhees and 5 others
Time also to upload a few from the BT install.Here's the kit and the GT3071 exhaust side.
kit.jpg

Reactions: grainqey, Mesa, Tommy53 and 5 others