Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 280 of 1046
Like Tree485Likes

Thread: Time for a build thread....big turbo

  1. #241
    martinivw's Avatar
    :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TheShire
    Posts
    381
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    hey alex did you change your v3's for clubsports?
    as i've heard that kw adjustable top mounts don't fit v3's.
    I think they only fit with race springs or they can be adapted as Alex says for v3 progressive springs using the little clubsport top springplate i would love to fit the kw topmounts to my V3's

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #242
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by martinivw View Post
    I think they only fit with race springs or they can be adapted as Alex says for v3 progressive springs using the little clubsport top springplate i would love to fit the kw topmounts to my V3's
    If this all fits as expected,I'll feed it back to everyone here.

  4. #243
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    If this all fits as expected,I'll feed it back to everyone here.
    Just needed the topmounts,plus new helper and main springs and a few bits and pieces.....looks like around £450+VAT and labour.
    Not bad at all.

  5. #244
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    And here they are....



    In for fitting after Xmas.

  6. #245
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    New main springs,helper springs,intermediate rings and of course the top mounts.

  7. #246
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    26,747
    Will those bolts hold, but even I have to say they look sexy

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  8. #247
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Will those bolts hold, but even I have to say they look sexy
    The bolt holes are the standard fit for the S3 mountings,so they'd better hold!

  9. #248
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    York
    Posts
    203
    Have you got a video of this beast in action?

  10. #249
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramley View Post
    Have you got a video of this beast in action?
    Hi there....no I haven't actually,but maybe make that another thing for the coming year.
    The topmounts,spring and damper adjustments and some intake and exhaust work are all booked ,so it should be back with some more pictures soon....if you're ever at an AMDTuning open day,you may well see it running there.

  11. #250
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quick update....
    Loads of bits on the way.....obviously the topmounts,but also as before the rear and front springs are being revised,to basically Clubsport spec,after advice from kW,and the two should sharpen the handling.
    With the topmounts in place,we can get a few degrees of front camber on,and not only accomadate the new tyres and rims,but again sharpen up the front end a bit.
    The neighbours were finding the thing a bit noisy in the early mornings,so we'll swap the backbox delete for centre delete,and hopefully lose a few dB there.
    There's a new intake on the way,and should be plenty of pics of that,and hopefully the other new part(still under wraps) may appear soon too.

  12. #251
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Going to give one of these a try....

  13. #252
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    2,810
    Looks good.
    S3Alex likes this.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour



  14. #253
    downtothebone's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wimbledon
    Posts
    195
    Interested to hear about the top mounts as mine along with the front and rear whiteline drop links are waiting to be fitted to my cabrio plus a Forge big brake kit ...
    S3Alex likes this.

  15. #254
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    43
    ^^^Me too.

    Just bought a set of V3s & looking for adjustable top-mounts, where & how much to buy a set (clubsport top mounts are a couple of hundred squid, which is most reasonable!)

    Interested to hear what you think if the increased spring rates + more front camber Alex.

    PS Please buy a front LSD and let me know what you think of it :lol:
    S3Alex likes this.

  16. #255
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791

    Time for a build thread....big turbo

    I've got plenty to keep my wallet busy.

    The camber and race setup springs should make a big difference but I will feed back on that later along with all the other bits like the new CAI.

  17. #256
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Sounds great Alex.


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  18. #257
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Sounds great Alex.
    Thanks Nathan....I think the change in spring rates and camber should make a lot of difference,and the other bits will just be a bit of fun.

  19. #258
    downtothebone's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wimbledon
    Posts
    195
    So here are my Superpro top mounts ... very different to the Kws

    APR Carbonio CAI / Eibach ARBs / BCS 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat / H&R 50mm Springs / APR Stage 2 / WALK / Forge Quickshift / RNSE / Forge 330 Big Brake / Carbon Grab Handles / Whiteline F&R Adj Drop Links / R8 Oil Cap / Porsche Coolant Cap / APR Intercooler

  20. #259
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    43
    ^^^i've got those fitted - they are polybushed adjustable ball joints (rather than top mounts), although they can still help adjust camber.

  21. #260
    S.
    S.'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,386
    Quote Originally Posted by roysterdsb View Post
    ^^^i've got those fitted - they are polybushed adjustable ball joints (rather than top mounts), although they can still help adjust camber.
    to keep with OT are they any good?
    what kind of camber is possible with them?

    alex, intake looks good but couldn't you just add different heat shield to the itg?
    i've removed heat shield from itg, and have bought some heat reflecting material to make a custom air feed/heat shield for old itg. just need some time to get it done...
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

    / Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...


  22. #261
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,110

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Thanks Nathan....I think the change in spring rates and camber should make a lot of difference,and the other bits will just be a bit of fun.
    I can't wait to uprate all my bushes and the like, and finally run a H&R ARB front and rear kit again wooo hoooo.


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  23. #262
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    So here are my Superpro top mounts ... very different to the Kws
    Wow...very different....as far as I can see,the kWs allow pretty precise alteration to camber from the graduations on the top,but as long as both yours and mine do the job,it doesn't matter!

  24. #263
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    to keep with OT are they any good?what kind of camber is possible with them?alex, intake looks good but couldn't you just add different heat shield to the itg?i've removed heat shield from itg, and have bought some heat reflecting material to make a custom air feed/heat shield for old itg. just need some time to get it done...
    I could have added some sort of metal heat shield I guess,but both AMD and myself are interested to see how their new CAI works on something with this sort of power.....testing something on a flow bench is fine,but working in practice is even better.

  25. #264
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    I can't wait to uprate all my bushes and the like, and finally run a H&R ARB front and rear kit again wooo hoooo.
    I'd done the bushes after all of the other things(suspension,ARBs,Haldex and so on)and the bushes plus antilift kit were like the icing on the cake if you like.
    They definitely tighten the feel up a bit,and remove some of the squirming or vagueness,but still need something to help with spring rates and understeer,hence the topmounts and change to race type springs.

  26. #265
    downtothebone's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wimbledon
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Wow...very different....as far as I can see,the kWs allow pretty precise alteration to camber from the graduations on the top,but as long as both yours and mine do the job,it doesn't matter!
    Yes - looks like you'll get far better precision - although the KW bolt holes look awfully small ... or was that a stock photo?
    APR Carbonio CAI / Eibach ARBs / BCS 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat / H&R 50mm Springs / APR Stage 2 / WALK / Forge Quickshift / RNSE / Forge 330 Big Brake / Carbon Grab Handles / Whiteline F&R Adj Drop Links / R8 Oil Cap / Porsche Coolant Cap / APR Intercooler

  27. #266
    downtothebone's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wimbledon
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I'd done the bushes after all of the other things(suspension,ARBs,Haldex and so on)and the bushes plus antilift kit were like the icing on the cake if you like.
    They definitely tighten the feel up a bit,and remove some of the squirming or vagueness,but still need something to help with spring rates and understeer,hence the topmounts and change to race type springs.
    Would be interested to know which bushes on the rear you think are most useful to change?
    APR Carbonio CAI / Eibach ARBs / BCS 3" Downpipe & Sports Cat / H&R 50mm Springs / APR Stage 2 / WALK / Forge Quickshift / RNSE / Forge 330 Big Brake / Carbon Grab Handles / Whiteline F&R Adj Drop Links / R8 Oil Cap / Porsche Coolant Cap / APR Intercooler

  28. #267
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    Yes - looks like you'll get far better precision - although the KW bolt holes look awfully small ... or was that a stock photo?
    The pic I put up was of the kit that's going on my car,and uses the same size boltholes as the stock mounts,but the bolts themselves are under very little lateral stress in any case.

  29. #268
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by downtothebone View Post
    Would be interested to know which bushes on the rear you think are most useful to change?
    I had the whole lot changed....front,rear,and also the TCA and antilift kit was fitted at the same time.

  30. #269
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    37
    Hi Alex.
    Tried sending u PVT message, but your inbox is full.
    Finally settled on a GTX3071R -WG for my build. It's all going down end of the month. Doing a custom Mandrel bend exhaust Mani, ceramic coated, to help with the spool. My bud is having his done next week with a GTX3576R on his S3 8P.
    Hope I'm doing the right thing with this choice. Any idea of when the GTX3071R will be on full boost , power figures +- @1.5 bar boost?
    Not many people down south have shared info on this topic.
    Thx in advance.

  31. #270
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by I8AGTI View Post
    Hi Alex.Tried sending u PVT message, but your inbox is full. Finally settled on a GTX3071R -WG for my build. It's all going down end of the month. Doing a custom Mandrel bend exhaust Mani, ceramic coated, to help with the spool. My bud is having his done next week with a GTX3576R on his S3 8P.Hope I'm doing the right thing with this choice. Any idea of when the GTX3071R will be on full boost , power figures +- @1.5 bar boost? Not many people down south have shared info on this topic. Thx in advance.
    Ooops.....cleared a few out at last.
    .
    I think you'll be happy with the 3071,as you'll get plenty of power,and also decent boost from relatively low rpm.
    .
    Mine gives useful boost from around 2700rpm,and full boost is at around 3500+rpm.
    .
    At 1.5bar,you would be looking at around 440bhp,which is about what we got from mine at that,but to go above 1.7bar,you will need an external boost controller,as the ECU boost control only runs to 1.7bar.
    .
    Do bear in mind that I also run a WMI kit,plus a big intercooler,and all of the above figures are dependent on barometric pressure,air temp,and other variables like boost,fuelling and timing.
    .
    AT 1.7bar,we were getting around 480bhp,and 2 bar is about the useful limit of a GT3071,but a GTX will flow about 10% more.
    I'd be very interested to see how your mate gets on with the 3576,as it's good for over 600bhp,but the HPFP and a few other parts may not allow him to get to that sort of figure,which may make a 3076 a better bet in some ways.

  32. #271
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    37
    I've got Twin Intercooler + the same AEM watermeth kit as you have . My Watermeth doesnt seem to do much power wise.
    What nozzle (s) u running ? I only have the biggest one in. Also, I havent fiddled with the settings on the box.

  33. #272
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    Quote Originally Posted by I8AGTI View Post
    I've got Twin Intercooler + the same AEM watermeth kit as you have . My Watermeth doesnt seem to do much power wise.What nozzle (s) u running ? I only have the biggest one in. Also, I havent fiddled with the settings on the box.
    I run around 30% WMI,but it's not so much there for power as to reduce temps and allow higher boost for longer.
    .
    You CAN map specifically for WMI and push the timing,but that may well be asking for trouble in the long run,and most of us don't do it.
    .
    Mine start at around 10psi,and is set to max at whatever maximum boost you run(in my case 2bar),and I use the middle nozzle.
    .
    I went with the Proalloy intercooler,as it was the biggest single intercooler in terms of frontal area and core size,and that seems to be borne out by intake temps.

  34. #273
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,162
    any vids of this beast in action?
    S3Alex likes this.

  35. #274
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791

    Time for a build thread....big turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    any vids of this beast in action?
    Maybe at AMDs next RR day.

  36. #275
    martinivw's Avatar
    :)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TheShire
    Posts
    381
    Any updates Alex?

  37. #276
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791

    Time for a build thread....big turbo

    Quote Originally Posted by martinivw View Post
    Any updates Alex?
    Ok.

    Here's the latest.

    A slight problem with the suspension means the kW v3s may be up for sale shortly.

    To be replaced by the Clubsport kit.....

    New AMD CAI is going on shortly and should be ready for some fun.

    Wheels tyres and brakes are coming along.

    Pictures soon.

  38. #277
    pinterovski's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    661

    My Social Networking

    Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Ok.

    Here's the latest.

    A slight problem with the suspension means the kW v3s may be up for sale shortly.

    To be replaced by the Clubsport kit.....

    New AMD CAI is going on shortly and should be ready for some fun.

    Wheels tyres and brakes are coming along.

    Pictures soon.
    Hi Alex!
    What's wrong with V3's?

    I would like to ask you something about your 245/40/18 setup!
    What ET and J?
    How low are you?
    Any rubbing?

    I'm asking because i'm going down that route Would really like 245/40/18
    but i would also be happy with 235/40/18 but i dont know the right setup!

    Cheers mate!
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

  39. #278
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791

    Time for a build thread....big turbo

    Nothing wrong with the v3 at all but the kit cannot be adapted to allow front camber adjustment as we had originally been told by kW.

    This means the v3 has to go and be replaced by the Clubsport kit.

    As the car is now,the wheels wouldn't clear the arches so either a fair amount of camber or flaring the arches would be required but I do want at least a bit of camber for handling reasons.

  40. #279
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,791
    And time for a bit more....

    One thing having cars like this has taught me is to always budget on more time and money than you think....

    Shot brakes....first the pads are done....DS2500s being replaced by Mintex pads shortly.



    And the discs...well past the sell by date.





    So....a new set of AP rotors on the way,and some adjustments to the bellhousings and camber to accomodate these....


  41. #280
    S.
    S.'s Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    1,386
    keeping your wallet empty :D
    nice Alex :D
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

    / Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...


 

 

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO