Volks AutosBadger5
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121316 ... LastLast
Like Tree600Likes

Thread: Time for a build thread....big turbo

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Very interesting read that last post which I may indeed use to discuss my issues should another fail.
    I'm inclined to believe it was strict QC that picked this out,and I'm grateful for that,as we all know alloy mixes and strengths are critical to the longevity of castings,and forgings.
    Given that these are used in the far harsher world of racing,I'm happy with the explanation,even if I do have to wait a bit longer.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Always love coming back to this thread; such great work, a good read, and a genuine privilege to see people attending to the fine detail (e.g. 6 monthly 4 wheel alignment / full gearbox rebuilds etc.)

Too many people just focus on the big power and then skimp on everything else; more power = more loving required. Spot on Alex; a great car.
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by warren_S3 View Post
    Always love coming back to this thread; such great work, a good read, and a genuine privilege to see people attending to the fine detail (e.g. 6 monthly 4 wheel alignment / full gearbox rebuilds etc.)Too many people just focus on the big power and then skimp on everything else; more power = more loving required. Spot on Alex; a great car.
    Thanks very much indeed Warren!
    This forum,and VAGOC,have always been very helpful to me when I've been planning mods,and I'd like to think that it may be useful for anyone else daft enough to do this,to see the parts,the places to buy from,and any pitfalls before jumping in.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Thanks very much indeed Warren!
    This forum,and VAGOC,have always been very helpful to me when I've been planning mods,and I'd like to think that it may be useful for anyone else daft enough to do this,to see the parts,the places to buy from,and any pitfalls before jumping in.
    Great words Alex, nice to see good/helpful people contributing to this forum, in the right ways.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Great words Alex, nice to see good/helpful people contributing to this forum, in the right ways.
    Again....many thanks!
    There are so many places for something to go wrong or just not quite right,even with a turbo kit,as few things ever just bolt straight one,and then there are the unusual parts like auxiliary fuel pumps and WMI gear that don't crop up elsewhere,so I thought that keeping everything in one place would be helpful,especially now that some really good developments such as Loba's LO4xx turbo have arrived on the market.

3rd Gear

Status
    The loba turbo is an amazing bit of kit ,i have been round at Statller a lot while the work with his golf and porsche have had these fitted and no matter what has been done they have never skipped a beat.

Seems a long throw from mine which has had a stage 1 map and the intake but its nice to see people pushing boundrys and finding all various parts with no doubt many hours of research

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by phil76 View Post
    The loba turbo is an amazing bit of kit ,i have been round at Statller a lot while the work with his golf and porsche have had these fitted and no matter what has been done they have never skipped a beat.Seems a long throw from mine which has had a stage 1 map and the intake but its nice to see people pushing boundrys and finding all various parts with no doubt many hours of research
    Loba are doing some excellent work,and producing some very exciting new parts.
    They have a superb technical background,and have the advantage of being a mechanical developer and supplier,as opposed to a software supplier,so their gear is being tested with a number of mapping solutions.

Rarely neutral

Status
    And time for a short update......

AMDTuning did a little bit of ironmongery for me......anyone spot what's missing?

It's gone from being reasonable but boring to sounding like its really angry.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Man that must be a tad loud now.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I bet, 3" all the way through Al?

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Man that must be a tad loud now.
    Sort of OK at motorway speeds,but a bit antisocial at 2000rpm,but then who uses that!

4th Gear

Status

Time for a build thread....big turbo

Awesome, do you require any kind of map change following work like that?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Yes3 View Post
    Awesome, do you require any kind of map change following work like that?
    No....all working just fine.

2nd Gear

Status
    Jesus Alex,

I bet this sounds like Ash TTRS, your a brave man but I bet it's well worth the grin factor.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by L1ARR View Post
    Jesus Alex,I bet this sounds like Ash TTRS, your a brave man but I bet it's well worth the grin factor.
    From memory,I think it would be a close run thing...it's fun,but probably not if you're following.

Rarely neutral

Status
    And a left over from the turbo installation......have a little look at the hot side of the turbo just above the prop shaft.

4th Gear

Status

I'm lost on that one? What are we looking at Alex?
    2012 RS3 Ibis White | Black Styling Pack | Black Roof Rails | Bose | Cruise | Tyre Package | Privacy Glass

Rarely neutral

Status
    I'm lost on that one? What are we looking at Alex?
    The grey thing above the prop shaft....on the right hand side.

Pretty faint clue on this one...LOL

Rarely neutral

Status
    OK....a slightly bigger clue or maybe an answer..... Owen Developments Online Shop

4th Gear

Status

Aah, very nice

Rarely neutral

Status
    Aah, very nice
    Like all good things,there is a downside
    The jacket keeps the heat off the proprshaft and coupling,which is VERY close to the hotside of the turbo,but it also keeps heat in the casing,so if you hoof it hard and don't allow it time to cool,you can cook the bearing cartridge,which is made of guess what....PLASTIC.

4th Gear

Status

Like all good things,there is a downside
    The jacket keeps the heat off the proprshaft and coupling,which is VERY close to the hotside of the turbo,but it also keeps heat in the casing,so if you hoof it hard and don't allow it time to cool,you can cook the bearing cartridge,which is made of guess what....PLASTIC.
    Oh ok, turbo timer time or just conscientious spool down period?

It does look very close!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Oh ok, turbo timer time or just conscientious spool down period?It does look very close!
    Just a few minutes of cooling down after a good run.....even after the track day everything was fine,and when the turbo is uprated,the replacement will get a metal bearing cage.
    Everything in that area is very tightly packed,as you've got the turbo,exhaust downpipe,prop-shaft,and then the transfer case as well.

Neutral

Status
    I stuck my AEM kit in the spare battery box in the boot. Just undo the lid and re-secure the screws. With a small amount of trimming of the spongey stuff, I've got access to the lid. Easy to fill and out of site. ( Wife can't see it and ask stupid questions )
    Audi doesn't even notice when it goes in for services.

1st Gear

Status
    From memory,I think it would be a close run thing...it's fun,but probably not if you're following.
    I went for the quieter resonated Milltek TBE, but there are definitely times where I wish I heard a more brutal 'angrier' sound when I plant my foot down! Just to match the performance more than anything...

Instead of having the resonated or non-resonated options, it would be great if Milltek just developed one TBE that came with a simple switch for both sounds!

Ideally that switch would read something like this: "Stealth Mode / Full Fury"

"Full Fury" for driving past housing estates and waking up the neighbours when you're on an early shift...

"Stealth Mode" for when you're trundling along the Motorway and want a bit of peace...
    Current car: 2009 Audi S3.

Modifications: Revo 2+, Non-resonated Milltek TBE, ITG Maxogen CAI, Airtec FMIC, Autotech HPFP internals, RS4 Fuel Pressure Regulator Valve, KW v1 Coilovers, GfB DV+, KW ARB Kit, SuperPro Anti-Lift Kit, 18" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Alloy Wheels (Anthracite), Mintex Brake Pads, Forge Short Shifter, and Revo SPS Switch.

Previous cars: VW Golf R32 (mk4), Renault Clio V6 (mk1), Renault Clio Williams 3.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Just another quick update.

I didn't expect it to make much if any difference to the way the car drives,apart from sounding faster(LOL).

What did surprise me was how much quicker the turbo spools up,although it doesn't come on boost any earlier......whatever back pressure the rear box had,removing it really has made a difference,although it has brought a LOT of extra noise into the bargain,and I'm not sure I'd recommend this to everyone.

It really does sound properly annoyed now,but with the bonus of better response.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    sounds great mate, every little helps.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

S3 Pollution Plus+ Edition

Status
    if I took the back box off my full TBE non res Milltek....would my ears bleed?
    2012 Ibis Black Edition S-tronic S3, 3 Door, Shark Stage 2, MTC Intake Kit, Powerflex Fast Road Dogbone Mount, Full Non Res Milltek Exhaust, Forge Development Intercooler + DV system,
    340bhp Mikes Ibis BE 2012 S3...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjr901 View Post
    if I took the back box off my full TBE non res Milltek....would my ears bleed?
    If mine is anything to go by.......yes.

Flat Oot like a ducks Foot

Status
    In the shot below,you can see bits of AMDTuning's attention to detail,like on the turbo oil return line(that's the large braided hose at the bottom of the picture)which has a black rubber sleeve fitted,to stop it cutting into the subframe....AND,for those that know JonnyC's S3,the line is not kinked.
    On the other hand, they could have fitted a 45 on there...
    ...... Now this one's MUCH better!...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3quatt View Post
    On the other hand, they could have fitted a 45 on there...
    Perhaps....downside is 2 more places where a leak can occur,plus a 45 degree angle to limit flow......in any case,this has worked just fine.

Rarely neutral

Status
    At last....Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s have arrived,unfortunately in time for the rain and ice,so I won't be getting much use out of the R888's!...pics in a while.

Rarely neutral

Status
    And a few tasters....
    Topmounts on the way,and some castings being prepared....
    KW spring strut construction /// KW automotive GmbH

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    And a few tasters....
    Topmounts on the way,and some castings being prepared....
    KW spring strut construction /// KW automotive GmbH
    hey alex did you change your v3's for clubsports?
    as i've heard that kw adjustable top mounts don't fit v3's.

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    hey alex did you change your v3's for clubsports?as i've heard that kw adjustable top mounts don't fit v3's.
    AMDTuning have that issue in hand.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    AMDTuning have that issue in hand.
    well well....

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S. View Post
    well well....
    I think they do a lot of work with kW and that will be the answer.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

KW is where it's at

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    KW is where it's at
    I can't complain.....the mounts will be adapted to work with my current setup,and give me some front camber.

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    I can't complain.....the mounts will be adapted to work with my current setup,and give me some front camber.
    like the sound of that.
    something i might be interested in the future..