Anyone change the stereo over

I will be changing the stereo soon and there is a facia on the market to replace the slot which will take any after market unit.

stereo.jpg

Why don't I have mugholder there /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I just have a place for coins or such /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

And of course everything mirror.

- Yak

cos i took it in the dark i was going to include the alpine monitor in the picture which is situated below it.. but it wouldnt have turned out good.. but as you only wanted to see the HU then didnt need too anyways...

richy, if you dont mind me asking how have you set up the screen? where did you get it and how much was the head unit? ha ha a load of question I know. And is it iPod compatible?

[ QUOTE ]
neilsafc2 said:
richy, if you dont mind me asking how have you set up the screen? where did you get it and how much was the head unit? ha ha a load of question I know. And is it iPod compatible?

[/ QUOTE ]

set up the screen with it mounted in the space of where the ash tray should go.. i opted for a none smoking pack so this made life easy.

then the DVD player which is under the seat is then fed up behind the dash and then into the monitor and then the sound to the HU. the dvd is also controlled by the headunit so i can select if i want Tuner/CD/Changer/DVD/PS2

this then activates the screen and indicated hardward to switch on..

the screen cost £400 the head unit £500 (yes i know u can pick it up alot cheaper now but i got it when it first came out.. )

got the headunit from halfords (doh) but all other hardware from megawatts in warrington/runcorn.

www.mega-watt.co.uk for further information.

depends what you want to use it for?

do you want to watch dvd's in the car and play the playstation etc?

if so i would go for the screen option as you are more than likely abl to find an adaptor for any stereo to plug your ipod too..

but obviously alpine have put some effort into theirs where as others are usually universal and just your bog standard kinda stuff..

I am unsure over whether I would use it for dvd's, playstation etc. I must admit I am tempted to tyr putting these things into my car but unsure with cost etc of doing this option and whether to go for a standard Alpine unit with the adaptor.

obviously the cost difference is different depending on what u want..

if you want to go for the apline HU and adaptor obviously the only extra cost is the adaptor for the HU

if you go for the whole multimedia... then the costs amount..

for a playstation alone to be fitted into the car you need a

power converter
Video and audio cables to run to the stereo and monitor

this alone can cost £50+

then the cost of your monitor,HU,DVD player...

then you will need extra cables to power everything up etc.

mm, so I'm the only one with aftermarket unit which has Audi-red-lightning?-) Looks more original than those blue units.

And no, I don't have digicam, so that's a small problem for picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:
mm, so I'm the only one with aftermarket unit which has Audi-red-lightning?-) Looks more original than those blue units.

And no, I don't have digicam, so that's a small problem for picture /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

The Kenwood has red buttons (apart from the big blue one) and it looks pretty good at night, matches in quite nicely with the rest of the Audi controls.

It's not a bad system considering it's 3 years old, took it out of the Golf before trading that in. Was going to change it back in march when I picked the car up but could not see anything I liked at the time. Quite like the look of the Alpine and I can always plug the IPOD in as well.

Yoda

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:

[/ QUOTE ]

So, which unit do you have then? I'm atm looking at what to purchase before my new Audi is delivered sometime in February... Any chance of borrowing a cam from your friends? - I'd really like to see pics from different installations before making my own choices /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- Moogie

[ QUOTE ]
Yak said:

- Yak

[/ QUOTE ]

on the alpine one i have the main display is a dark blue and white.. but the controls are orange and the audi red so...as close as you will get with the alpine headunits me thinks..

[ QUOTE ]
So, which unit do you have then? I'm atm looking at what to purchase before my new Audi is delivered sometime in February... Any chance of borrowing a cam from your friends? - I'd really like to see pics from different installations before making my own choices

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a Panasonic's model, but it's not on sell anymore. I don't know if they have newer unit with same colors, sadly. I'll try to loan a cam from a friend, but I'm a bit busy in the upcoming days, so might take a while to get it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

Alright, let's see, I got a camera /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Anyway, since there's daylight only 2-3h every day, I had to take these pictures in dark. I'll put all the pictures to www.yak.iki.fi/a3/ (pictures are pretty big) so you can view those with flash also (which are overlighted, so they don't give real picture), and this one in high-resolution.

- Yak

unit-dark.jpg

Thanks Yak. Looks great in the dark, the illumination matches very nicely with the OEM look.

Now all I have to do is find one that looks somewhat similiar from the models which are on sale /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Any suggestions, anyone? What I need is good SQ, pre-outs for front, back and sub, and preferably MP3 compatibility. The less it looks like a disco, the better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif