Goodyear eagle f1 assymetric tyres delaminating

julians

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know a few of you use the F1 assymetrics , has anyone seen what I'm describing below?

My S3 was serviced the other day and while it was on the ramps I had a look around it, I noticed that on the inside edges of both front tyres, it looks like the tread is starting to delaminate from the side wall. You cant see any damage on the outside edge, it all looks fine from outside the car, its only when you're under it that you can see the problem

They are less than a year old and have done ~8000 miles, they have always been correctly inflated.

I'm going to contact the place I bought them from and goodyear, but I'd expect these to be replaced for free, as it looks like a manufacturing defect to me.

Anyone else had similar issues? if so, any advice on how to get the supplier/goodyear to play ball?

Very odd. I got neatly 24k miles out of them on my S3. Great tyre!
Be interesting to hear what GY say

I mentioned in a thread the other day that Goodyear have gone downhill in recent years compared to others in my opinion, this doesn't surprise me at all. I used to be a huge fan of them but after a couple of problems with early signs of perishing I jumped ship. I have never experienced tread departure though, worth a call to Goodyear maybe?

QUESTION! How the hell are you getting so many miles out of a set of tyres?????
10K tops on my TDi Quattro, 8K on my old REVO'd S3 and 7K on my Revo'd LCR.(5K form the Toyos on the Leon but you cant even class them as a tyre, lesson learnt!)
Mich PS2's are lasting a bit better, WELL worth the extra cash!

10K tops on my TDi Quattro, 8K on my old REVO'd S3 and 7K on my Revo'd LCR.(5K form the Toyos on the Leon but you cant even class them as a tyre, lesson learnt!)

All depends what sort of driving you do, and what kind of driver you are. A sensible driver that does mainly motorway miles will easily see 15K - 20k miles. A rather more vigorous driver that does A-roads, roundabouts and country lanes may well get less than 10k miles.

that's ridiculous. i've got T1-Rs on at the moment and i've done just under 7k miles on it already and the tyres still look new

I just drive to work and back through heavy traffic, so no opportunity to do any sort of 'spirited' driving, I guess I'm on track to get 25k out of these tyres if they hadnt delaminated.

that's ridiculous. i've got T1-Rs on at the moment and i've done just under 7k miles on it already and the tyres still look new

i do live in the Highlands of Scotland where the roads are quite rough and its all heavy braking and 2nd/3rd gear corners :) Still say the Toyos are the worst tyre ive had. My personal opinion is that, if they have enough grip for you, you dont drive hard enough! Crap even in the dry!

I don't know if you're describing severe wear on the inner borders of each tyre,as one of my previous A3s had exactly this problem and resulted in the inner border of each being worn down to the carcass,due to the tracing being completely out.

The tracking on all of the Quattros I've owned has need adjustment and correction,and it may well be worth you having yours checked.

The F1's I was running are fine at 8000 miles but getting a bit worn,and I also use Toyo R1Rs as the summer(!) tyre.

The T1R is quite an old design and not a good performance tyre....the R1R has a very soft compound as you'd expect from a semi-track tyre,but the grip is miles beyond the F1 on a dry road.