S3 common problems

brads

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking for faults that are common on S3's that would require a trip to the dealers. My S3 is about 2 years old and already had a new clutch flywheel and steering rack. If anyone could advice on anything that appears to be a common fault, so I can keep an eye out.

Thanks

Glove box not opening properly.
Window gremlins/one touch resetting.
Doors dropping and wearing door seal.

The worst jobs have been done already so nothing to worry about IMO.

cheers
Paul

Reactions: Grant-s3
In the end the desire for the 3.2 will make you green with envy and pull all your hair out ...Other than that the S3 is fine :yes:

Mine 6 months ish old, been back to Dealers a few times, for engine hesitation, and a few other minor faults that has logged on the ECU. nothing that has stopped me driving though, 10 plate, 10k miles now

I am surprised though a OP 2 year old one needing a new clutch. fly wheel steering rack, how many miles had it done?

Mine 6 months ish old, been back to Dealers a few times, for engine hesitation, and a few other minor faults that has logged on the ECU. nothing that has stopped me driving though, 10 plate, 10k miles now

I am surprised though a OP 2 year old one needing a new clutch. fly wheel steering rack, how many miles had it done?

Yeah that's what I thought, its only done 22k, so nothing really.

No problems here so far after 30 000 remapped miles.

Reactions: Nick m
Aircon compressor replaced under warranty
Aircon sensors replaced under warranty

Both common A3 faults apparently, but the compressor at £900 would have been a stinger if it was my dosh...

Other faults I've had on my S3:

Creaking from top strut bearing (£400 wanted from Audi so it stays until my independent will fit it in)
Loose / wobbly brake pedal (£200 after a 50% contribution. New pedal made it worse than it was before...)

Last edited:
Creaking from top strut bearing (£400 wanted from Audi so it stays until my independent will fit it in)

I get the creaking noise, the rack has been checked 3 or 4 times and AUDi are adamant its ok.
iirc it had the strut tops greased along while back. Maybe thats the next check?

Ive had an AC compressor fail on a Mk5 Golf but the S3 has been ok so far.

cheers
Paul

you are really boring now!

Welcome to Paddys World....,

Where the S3 is overpriced,
but was pretty much the same as a 3.2 when new,
but thats ok because AUDIs are **** anyway,
except the 3.2,
which is actually brilliant, but also ****,
but really its a fancy Skoda anyway,
yet Skodas are brilliant while AUDIs are rubbish
and FORDS are great, just not great enough to buy one....
and 72 mph is too fast....

Dont try and figure him out, you might as well try and figure the missus out.
Futile excercise.
That said ASN is still better place for the miserable git, him, his pipe, his slippers and Werthers originals.....:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
Welcome to Paddys World....,

Where the S3 is overpriced,
but was pretty much the same as a 3.2 when new,
but thats ok because AUDIs are **** anyway,
except the 3.2,
which is actually brilliant, but also ****,
but really its a fancy Skoda anyway,
yet Skodas are brilliant while AUDIs are rubbish
and FORDS are great, just not great enough to buy one....
and 72 mph is too fast....

Dont try and figure him out, you might as well try and figure the missus out.
Futile excercise.
That said ASN is still better place for the miserable git, him, his pipe, his slippers and Werthers originals.....:icon_thumright:

Yea but the fun thing is no one knows what i really think ( or cares)... Truth is i like to take the controversial tact because it makes for more interesting threads. Most of the time I am just playing with you all because I find human nature and reaction fascinating. This whole internet chat room thing amazes me how people open up to total strangers and let total strangers upset them as well. What do I really think? Well I’m not stupid enough to think my Audi experience is typical…lol J, I like the 3.2 but in today’s world it’s a dinosaur. The S3 is a lovely car, probably the best in its class despite its ageing and rather staid appearance. Personally I think at 3 years old at £20k it’s a great buy, New at £35k I would want some thing a little more striking/exclusive. My problem is at 6ft 4” and 18 stone I don’t fit in TT’s, 911’s, Boxters, 370’s etc and I don’t want the running costs of a XK/XKR/Vantage/Maserati etc. Ideally I would like a TTS but I am not prepared to bang my head every time I get in !!I have always been a loner, I live on my own, work on my own and travel on my own, never take passengers and anything more than a 2 seater doesn’t really interest me……..Maybe one day I will go back to bikes and get my speed kicks there again while driving the old A3 for day to routine …..meanwhile I will stick to winding people up here with my tongue firmly in my cheek :cool:

Yea but the fun thing is no one knows what i really think ( or cares)... Truth is i like to take the controversial tact because it makes for more interesting threads. Most of the time I am just playing with you all because I find human nature and reaction fascinating. This whole internet chat room thing amazes me how people open up to total strangers and let total strangers upset them as well. What do I really think? Well I’m not stupid enough to think my Audi experience is typical…lol J, I like the 3.2 but in today’s world it’s a dinosaur. The S3 is a lovely car, probably the best in its class despite its ageing and rather staid appearance. Personally I think at 3 years old at £20k it’s a great buy, New at £35k I would want some thing a little more striking/exclusive. My problem is at 6ft 4” and 18 stone I don’t fit in TT’s, 911’s, Boxters, 370’s etc and I don’t want the running costs of a XK/XKR/Vantage/Maserati etc. Ideally I would like a TTS but I am not prepared to bang my head every time I get in !!I have always been a loner, I live on my own, work on my own and travel on my own, never take passengers and anything more than a 2 seater doesn’t really interest me……..Maybe one day I will go back to bikes and get my speed kicks there again while driving the old A3 for day to routine …..meanwhile I will stick to winding people up here with my tongue firmly in my cheek :cool:

He He.

Amen to that bonny lad.

Cheers

Paul

is this the bit where you two kiss and we all look on awkwardly?

Naa...you see his a ****** Northerner while i am from the sufisticated sowth....... old chap :)

You two are funny! Least you havn't started the S3 v 3.2 argument again lol!

Hey P, least you havnt bought a micra!!!!! lol Now that would be funny seeing you squashed in that! lol

Hey S, rather bizarrely i did have a Micra, when mum died i inherited her 1.2s !!
It actually had more head room than a A3…………….but that was about it...lol apart from 50mpg it didn’t have a lot going for it and anything over 60mph and it started getting very “frantic”…

lol, yeah, years ago we had one as a courtesey car! Hated driving it, soooooooo slow lol and it felt like driving along in a baked bean tin lol. (sorry micra drivers). But hey, least it had head room!!!!! I dont have that issue heehee

Panoramic roof is a no no too. Lot's of problems here.