18's or 19's?

Fast,not furious

Dealing with an OCD
Reaction score
The time has come - or rather the money's in the bank - for a change of wheel. The one's i'm after won't be in stock for longer than i want to wait....so...

Do i go for 19's instead?? My main concern is whether the ride will be too harsh - i'm already running on H&R springs,so she's already slightly stiffer than stock,and i don't really want the ride to stiffen up any more.

So what's the opinion? Are 19's the way to go,or should i hang on in there for the 18's??

I say 19" look better than 18". Especially if the cars been lowered.... So 19" get the vote from me :icon_thumright:
But i cant really comment on how the ride will feel. I'm happy with my 18s and 75mm drop and if anything my ride feels better than the standard set up. I'm sure some of the guys with more experience in this department will be here soon

EDIT: Ps what alloys you going for:happy:

Last edited:
Hi agree with ash.. unless you are going for a low deep dish euro look then 19's are the way to go.....

i went for 18's... no question the 19's "look better" but depends what your looking for i guess and how good your roads are! my car is pretty harsh as it is... 18's + H&R's... certainly wouldnt want it more crashy!

I agree the 19's look better,it's the ride quality i really need to know about though guys....she'll be looking sweet on VMR's :happy:

Of course there's the extra 1/3rd to shell out on decent rubber too:ohmy:

Last edited:
If you get 19s, the only way to properly improve the quality of the ride is by getting coilovers. 19"s will improve the car by looks yes, but the ride will be slightly stiffer, not MASSIVELY noticeable, but you will notice it.

I find with looks and power you have to compromise somewhere, my cousin had 19" BBS Splits on his TT, but they came off and now hes running 18" TD 1.2s, although it doesn't look amazing, they are so much lighter and work better with his big turbo.

As everything in life swings and roundabouts.

What swung it for me was most people running big power (s3's especially) jonnyc, Andy, madalex an a few others etc were all running 18's! + I made the mistake of putting to big a wheel on my CS and it was annoying as feck

If I had it my way I'd have 19" CH's for when I wanna look cool and mine for when I wanna rip!

Pretty much nail on the head there. If your running a big power S3, then i'd focus on handling and power not looks.

If a set of CH 19's came up with Tyres good deal I'd be tempted... But like i said purely for when I wanna show off my big wheels :rockwoot:

just bought myself a set of BBS Anthracite CK's n 19" - they absolutely look the bizz and totally transorm the cars stance at a glance. I would say a very slight noticeable difference but I would consider it negligable in terms over handling.....to my extant anyway.....i try and get some pics up at the weekend.

I have 19" BBS CK's and H&R springs and would say the ride is a little on the jumpy side. I recently put the 18's back on while I got a puncture fixed and the difference is very noticeable. Looks the biz with the 19's though!

just bought myself a set of BBS Anthracite CK's n 19" - they absolutely look the bizz and totally transorm the cars stance at a glance. I would say a very slight noticeable difference but I would consider it negligable in terms over handling.....to my extant anyway.....i try and get some pics up at the weekend.

You buy them of James?

I have 19" BBS CK's and H&R springs and would say the ride is a little on the jumpy side. I recently put the 18's back on while I got a puncture fixed and the difference is very noticeable. Looks the biz with the 19's though!

You need coilovers to really improve the ride.

Thanks for your replies guys

I think i've made up my mind,i'm going to stick with 18's,although seriously tempted by the looks of 19's!

The extra cost of wheels and tyres with the added harshness to the ride have convinced me to stick with the 18's and i think it'll keep the mrs happy too

So 18x8.5 et45 VMR VB3's in gunmetal it is then!
I'm wrapping them with BF Goodrich G-Force profilers again,270000 miles on the current set and they haven't let me down in the wet or dry yet,and believe me i've given them some serious abuse!!

Both look good but I would only go 19s if they are forged or spun cast, cast 19s will weigh a ton and totally ruin everything- ride, steering, acceleration etc.

I am running pro race 18's on h n r springs and as mentioned above if you do decide to go for 19's make sure you get coilovers because whoever says the ride isnt harsh and firm on springs and 19's is lying! lol. It's quite harsh on 18's on springs so never mind bigger wheels. Now I will just add that if you do decide to go for 18's you might be better off going for the lightweight option.