EM TuningSky Insurance

Thread: 18's or 19's?

Dealing with an OCD

Status

18's or 19's?

The time has come - or rather the money's in the bank - for a change of wheel. The one's i'm after won't be in stock for longer than i want to wait....so...

Do i go for 19's instead?? My main concern is whether the ride will be too harsh - i'm already running on H&R springs,so she's already slightly stiffer than stock,and i don't really want the ride to stiffen up any more.

So what's the opinion? Are 19's the way to go,or should i hang on in there for the 18's??

S3 Brilliant Red - 340bhp

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    I say 19" look better than 18". Especially if the cars been lowered.... So 19" get the vote from me
    But i cant really comment on how the ride will feel. I'm happy with my 18s and 75mm drop and if anything my ride feels better than the standard set up. I'm sure some of the guys with more experience in this department will be here soon

EDIT: Ps what alloys you going for
    Last edited by Ash B; 14th October 2010 at 16:20.
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

Neutral

Status
    I went for 18s, and as happy as I am with them, I wish i'd spent an extra couple of 100's to get 19's.
    2004 A3 2.0 FSI - Black - Anthracite BBS CK's

1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1 Race Car

ASN is hazardous 2 your wallet

Status
    Hi agree with ash.. unless you are going for a low deep dish euro look then 19's are the way to go.....
    A3 2.0 FSI metallic Pearl/ Liquid Blue, 18" BBS Calito's, rear Parking Sensors, Full Votex Kit, Weitec Hicon GT Coilovers, Cruise Control, Auto Lights and Rain sensor Wipers, Facelift Rear Lights, Personal German Pressed Plate (G9MBO).

Immediate TDL
    Calito's redone in pearl white
    Roof/Spoiler and wing mirrors wrapped in pearl white
    Bentleys 19's
    S3 Brake Upgrade
    BMC CDA Induction - hope it sounds lush..

Interior Next!!

Status
    i went for 18's... no question the 19's "look better" but depends what your looking for i guess and how good your roads are! my car is pretty harsh as it is... 18's + H&R's... certainly wouldnt want it more crashy!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    I agree the 19's look better,it's the ride quality i really need to know about though guys....she'll be looking sweet on VMR's

Of course there's the extra 1/3rd to shell out on decent rubber too
    Last edited by Fast,not furious; 14th October 2010 at 16:27.

Custom Code Phase 2 + PSS, Autotech pump, Hybrid Forge/ITG Maxogen CAI /Reflactagold, Sprint Booster, Forge Quickshift, Forge DV, Denso Iridium sparks, PCV mod/oil catch can, R8 oil filler cap, Sachs performance clutch,Exhausts UK custom stainless TBE, Braille no-weight battery,PIAA mirror white DRL's,exterior + interior leds, AndyMac's Sub upgrade, H&R springs, VMR VB3 18x8.5 gunmetal alloys wearing BF Goodrich G-force 235/40

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    If you get 19s, the only way to properly improve the quality of the ride is by getting coilovers. 19"s will improve the car by looks yes, but the ride will be slightly stiffer, not MASSIVELY noticeable, but you will notice it.

I find with looks and power you have to compromise somewhere, my cousin had 19" BBS Splits on his TT, but they came off and now hes running 18" TD 1.2s, although it doesn't look amazing, they are so much lighter and work better with his big turbo.

As everything in life swings and roundabouts.

Interior Next!!

Status
    What swung it for me was most people running big power (s3's especially) jonnyc, Andy, madalex an a few others etc were all running 18's! + I made the mistake of putting to big a wheel on my CS and it was annoying as feck

If I had it my way I'd have 19" CH's for when I wanna look cool and mine for when I wanna rip!
    S

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Pretty much nail on the head there. If your running a big power S3, then i'd focus on handling and power not looks.

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Pretty much nail on the head there. If your running a big power S3, then i'd focus on handling and power not looks.
    If a set of CH 19's came up with Tyres good deal I'd be tempted... But like i said purely for when I wanna show off my big wheels
    S

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Matts bought some black editions for his winters, hes a fancy git!

1st Gear

Status
    just bought myself a set of BBS Anthracite CK's n 19" - they absolutely look the bizz and totally transorm the cars stance at a glance. I would say a very slight noticeable difference but I would consider it negligable in terms over handling.....to my extant anyway.....i try and get some pics up at the weekend.
    NOW...another similar RS3?!? ...Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light & rain sensor pack, black exhaust tips and now Scorpion decat pipes and MPSS rubber!

REFUNDED - Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light and rain sensor pack.

GONE - S3 SB BE - '10 plate in Ibis with Buckets; RNS-E; tech & comfort pack; Revo stage 1; Milltek TBE; BBS CK 19's in Anthracite on Asseymetric rubber!

6th Gear

Status
    19s are the only option
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

5th Gear

Status
    I have 19" BBS CK's and H&R springs and would say the ride is a little on the jumpy side. I recently put the 18's back on while I got a puncture fixed and the difference is very noticeable. Looks the biz with the 19's though!
    S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Previous
    2010 R36 Saloon in Biscay Blue
    2008 Red S3
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro S-line Sportback dsg Avus silver
    2005 A3 3.2 quattro Sport Sportback dsg Black

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by elton121272 View Post
    just bought myself a set of BBS Anthracite CK's n 19" - they absolutely look the bizz and totally transorm the cars stance at a glance. I would say a very slight noticeable difference but I would consider it negligable in terms over handling.....to my extant anyway.....i try and get some pics up at the weekend.
    You buy them of James?

Quote Originally Posted by 3.2 Ju View Post
    I have 19" BBS CK's and H&R springs and would say the ride is a little on the jumpy side. I recently put the 18's back on while I got a puncture fixed and the difference is very noticeable. Looks the biz with the 19's though!
    You need coilovers to really improve the ride.

Dealing with an OCD

Status
    Thanks for your replies guys

I think i've made up my mind,i'm going to stick with 18's,although seriously tempted by the looks of 19's!

The extra cost of wheels and tyres with the added harshness to the ride have convinced me to stick with the 18's and i think it'll keep the mrs happy too

So 18x8.5 et45 VMR VB3's in gunmetal it is then!
    I'm wrapping them with BF Goodrich G-Force profilers again,270000 miles on the current set and they haven't let me down in the wet or dry yet,and believe me i've given them some serious abuse!!

5th Gear

Status
    Both look good but I would only go 19s if they are forged or spun cast, cast 19s will weigh a ton and totally ruin everything- ride, steering, acceleration etc.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

1st Gear

Status
    [QUOTE=N8;1087033]You buy them of James?

No mate.
    NOW...another similar RS3?!? ...Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light & rain sensor pack, black exhaust tips and now Scorpion decat pipes and MPSS rubber!

REFUNDED - Phantom Black RS3 with Buckets, folding auto dim mirrors, privacy glass, Bose, Alu inlays, light and rain sensor pack.

GONE - S3 SB BE - '10 plate in Ibis with Buckets; RNS-E; tech & comfort pack; Revo stage 1; Milltek TBE; BBS CK 19's in Anthracite on Asseymetric rubber!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Both look good but I would only go 19s if they are forged or spun cast, cast 19s will weigh a ton and totally ruin everything- ride, steering, acceleration etc.
    Indeed, thats $hite wheels for ya

Quote Originally Posted by elton121272 View Post
    No mate.
    Cool

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    I am running pro race 18's on h n r springs and as mentioned above if you do decide to go for 19's make sure you get coilovers because whoever says the ride isnt harsh and firm on springs and 19's is lying! lol. It's quite harsh on 18's on springs so never mind bigger wheels. Now I will just add that if you do decide to go for 18's you might be better off going for the lightweight option.