S3 - Tyre Choice

gavsteryoung

Reaction score
I know we quite often have these conversations on here about what tyres to fit to our cars, but after reading a few past posts I have been left with in-conclusive results! :laugh:

These are the 3 I have narrowed my choice to... so what would you guys go with!

Oh and I am using etyre as they come and fit at my workplace which is handy. So not to worried if I can get cheaper.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 = £141
Goodyear EagleF1 Asymmetric = £146
Michelin Pilot Sport 3 = £155

PS2's were always the choice to have on my previous Bi Turbo B5 S4

I'm looking for 4 new tyres on my car, whilst they've only done 8,000 miles since new the Bridgestones are pretty rubbish.

I'll be going with the Michelin PS 3 as they have better wet weather performance than the PS2 making them a better all round option in this country.

Mine has done 10k now, and tyres are looking like they will need replacing soon, certainly in the last 1k The handling in the wet has changed, does not feel as sure footed. I will for sure be looking to change onto something else.

I am tempted to try these as I am sure I gonna do 10k for the next 6 months

Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 225/40 R18 92W XL with rim protection ridge, M+S marking

mytyres.co.uk tests rates them pretty well

if you want the best michelin ps3 ive got vredestein all round cost £100 each fitted brill wet or dry

I was reading this the other day, it's bizzare because having used all but 3 of the tyres in that list of 10 (Vredstein, Hancook and Nokian) I would not rate them anything like what they have, and most certainly not Bridgestone Potenza or Pirelli P Zero coming in the top 3! My Potenzas are rubbish in the wet!

Goodyear have lost out over the last few years against the competition, there was a time when I would buy nothing else but a decent GY Eagle F1, but not these days. The Conti are good, and tend to wear ok, but can be a bit noisy and hard, and I dont rate them in the wet. Michelin, admittedly I haven't tried the new PS3, but I had the PS2 on 2 cars, superb in the dry but lacked the wet ability, I've heard a number of reviews to say that the PS3 has improved that, so i'm going to give them a go.

I was reading this the other day, it's bizzare because having used all but 3 of the tyres in that list of 10 (Vredstein, Hancook and Nokian) I would not rate them anything like what they have, and most certainly not Bridgestone Potenza or Pirelli P Zero coming in the top 3! My Potenzas are rubbish in the wet!

Goodyear have lost out over the last few years against the competition, there was a time when I would buy nothing else but a decent GY Eagle F1, but not these days. The Conti are good, and tend to wear ok, but can be a bit noisy and hard, and I dont rate them in the wet. Michelin, admittedly I haven't tried the new PS3, but I had the PS2 on 2 cars, superb in the dry but lacked the wet ability, I've heard a number of reviews to say that the PS3 has improved that, so i'm going to give them a go.

That were my thoughts while reading that site, seems they rate Contis over pretty well everything, that alone tells me something, I have always thought those a medicore tyre that I replace after they worn out on my new cars with something else that I always find are better.

After reading more on the:-
Vredestein Wintrac xtreme 225/40 R18 92W XL with rim protection ridge, M+S marking

Pretty well sure I will go for them though they a little expensive, but a few 2 wheel RWD big engine cars have used them in the winter and really rate them.

PS2's all the way. By far my favourite tyre of all time. Just so god damn sticky in the dry.

Eagle F1s for cold and wet weather....still offer very good wet grip and decent warning before they let go.

Toyo R1Rs for the warmer and drier weather(not that we've had a lot of that recently)

Eagle F1s for cold and wet weather....still offer very good wet grip and decent warning before they let go.

Toyo R1Rs for the warmer and drier weather(not that we've had a lot of that recently)

T1Rs a at best a good medium brand tyre(although they aren't even the best of that range any more). The Eagle F1, CS3 , PS3 etc will out perform them in near enough all conditions. Although all summer tyres will loose performance as the weather gets colder.

T1Rs a at best a good medium brand tyre(although they aren't even the best of that range any more). The Eagle F1, CS3 , PS3 etc will out perform them in near enough all conditions. Although all summer tyres will loose performance as the weather gets colder.

It's the R1R,not the T1R.

I agree the T1R is a pretty old tyre by now,but I think you'll find the R1R is rather closer to the R888 but more usable on a daily basis.
The F1 has nowhere near as much grip on a dry road as either the R1R or R888 but will perform much better on wet or greasy roads...hence my using those for winter.

Last edited:
That were my thoughts while reading that site, seems they rate Contis over pretty well everything, that alone tells me something, I have always thought those a medicore tyre that I replace after they worn out on my new cars with something else that I always find are better.

After reading more on the:-

Pretty well sure I will go for them though they a little expensive, but a few 2 wheel RWD big engine cars have used them in the winter and really rate them.

Not sure what type exactly but I have 4 Vredestein tyres on my A3, altho it's not an AWD I'm positive I can give the tyres I have good feedback, as I've have my car for 5 weeks and at least 50% of my driving is on country roads in which I admit to driving hard on and the car handles superbly, and they are also good in the wet which I've had my fair share of days

My mistake sorry didn't read your post correctly. Rather than use Eagle F1 which are summer tyres for winter if you using two sets why not use a performance winter tyre like the Conti TS810s? They offer far more grip than a summer tyre will offer and will even work on snow and ice.

My mistake sorry didn't read your post correctly. Rather than use Eagle F1 which are summer tyres for winter if you using two sets why not use a performance winter tyre like the Conti TS810s? They offer far more grip than a summer tyre will offer and will even work on snow and ice.

No probs...just didn't want you thinking I was sliding around on out-of-date rubber!

I may well do that,but still have a good bit of useful life left in the F1s,and I have a few other fish to fry right now in the form of a GT3071 kit.

The Sportcontact 3 seems to be the current favourite on various tyre tests this year, beating both the Eagle F1 Assymetric and the PS3. Heres this months new Evo tyre test although they have tested the Sportcontact 5 and use the older PS2. http://www.3.je/evo-fwdtyretest2010.pdf

I like my Eagle F1 assymetrics a lot. I've read both tyre tests that EVO have carried out this year. Both rate the Conti tyres highest. Both carried out at the Conti tyredrome test facility.

I thought that was quite coincidental...

Maybe but they also win tests not at the Contidrome as well. Also Continentals Premium contact and Eco contact have featured in other tyre tests there and not ended up winning.

I'm also in need of 2 new front tyres to replace the Michelin PS2's I have now. I'm really pleased with the handling on the current ones, so I'll be getting get the newer PS3's. (Even tough they seem to melt like butter... )

Because it's nearing winter I was also considering getting winter tires (Winter Sport 3D, TS830P,...), but I'm afraid I'll lose on handling in the wet & dry compared to the PS2 summer tires. I'm convinced they will outperform a summer tyre on the snow and ice (duh), not so sure about them in the wet/dry (even if it is freezing outside)

Does anyone have experiences with running sporty winter tires (225 40 18), in a mild winter climate such as ours? Better/worse than a set of good summer tyres ?

Cheers! :racer:

When I had the A3 I used to run Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 summer tyres on it which I loved because of both the wet and dry grip and the confidence they gave the car. I swapped the P-Zero Rossos that came from the factory at only 4k miles to get the Eagles on I liked them that much. Anyway in Oct 2007 I got a set of Continental TS810S winter tyres and fitted them to the car, even in Oct the difference in grip was extremely noticeable with the new tyres compared to the Eagles. It wasn't that the Eagles were bad far from it but once temps start dropping I didn't really notice the performance tail off until getting the new tyres. I honestly can't express how much difference there was in grip.

I had never run winters before that and always thought top rated summer tyres would still be good in winter, they aren't compared to decent winter tyres. What alot of people confuse is they think winter tyres are for snow and ice. They work better than summer tyres in temps under 7oC due to the more natural rubber compound. When it was icy the car still had loads of grip and went where it was pointed rather than the year before where it just spun the wheels and had to crawl around. Continental even recommend that if your only going to have one set of tyres your better off with winter tyres all year round because the difference in performance in the summer is so much smaller than the difference when it starts to get cold.
Heres a pic of the tread compound of my old tyres where you can see the different rubbers and sipes.
DSC00113_1.jpg