Audi Dealer won't discount an A3?

MattyW19

Reaction score
Hi,

I went to the dealers today to order a Audi A3 1.4T S Line. We test drove the 1.4T and it seemed a nice, smooth engine. However, when we returned to the showroom I had in mind the Drive the deal figure (which was £18,700 mark). The dealer came back a few moments later after pricing up the 1.4T S Line with Xenon lights, Privacy glass and iPod Dock and said he couldn't discount it due to having a few cars left for the month to sell. He quoted around £21,000. I'm going to ring Drive the Deal to see when they can supply the car, and if they can supply it for a specific date (Late March).

Has anyone recently had the same experience, and should I start looking at alternative cars?

Hi,

I went to the dealers today to order a Audi A3 1.4T S Line. We test drove the 1.4T and it seemed a nice, smooth engine. However, when we returned to the showroom I had in mind the Drive the deal figure (which was £18,700 mark). The dealer came back a few moments later after pricing up the 1.4T S Line with Xenon lights, Privacy glass and iPod Dock and said he couldn't discount it due to having a few cars left for the month to sell. He quoted around £21,000. I'm going to ring Drive the Deal to see when they can supply the car, and if they can supply it for a specific date (Late March).

Has anyone recently had the same experience, and should I start looking at alternative cars?

He's chatting rubbish there is ALWAYS a deal to be had. Now you've driven the car contact every dealership in the country. Worked for my old mans S3 and my Black Edition he got 11% off his and 9% off mine!!! Dont settle for top dollar not worth it!!!

As slade said ring around, i didnt have to with mine as he was willing to give me quite alot of discount to be fair, After adding all my extras mine came to around 25,500 EUR and i ended up, getting it for 22,500. so its definitely worth waiting and ringing round.

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing was he showed me the figures how many he will be having in the next few months - and some were already going to their fleet department. He also advised me to go through drive the deal himself! I'm not prepared to pay £21,000 on this spec of car, considering I could have a 1.8T Black Edition cheaper through Drive the Deal!! We have had a couple of cars at reasonable discount through the same dealer.

Should I try alternative dealers or just go straight to Drive the Deal?

Thanks for the reply. Funny thing was he showed me the figures how many he will be having in the next few months - and some were already going to their fleet department. He also advised me to go through drive the deal himself! I'm not prepared to pay £21,000 on this spec of car, considering I could have a 1.8T Black Edition cheaper through Drive the Deal!! We have had a couple of cars at reasonable discount through the same dealer.

Should I try alternative dealers or just go straight to Drive the Deal?

Definitely try other dealers!!! I went to Milton Keynes Audi Wayside group and he had my Black Edition coming in to the fleet department and was giving a crap deal so I contacted Basingstoke Audi Colbournes group who said they would do a swap of one of there A3's for the Black Edition i wanted. Apparently as long as Milton Keynes gets an A3 then any other Audi dealership can swap with them. This was back in April and was the sales manager (dads mate) sorting it but should work.

Good luck!!!! Just remember they have enough on each car to take their share and give you yours.

P.S my brothers just bought a White BE from the Milton Keynes dealer turns out they are willing to give 8% as apposed to 7% at Basingstoke and this was 2 weeks ago so he just selling you a story!!!!

Hi,

definitely ring around. dealers chatting poo poo

Q. How can you tell when a car salesman's lying ?
A. His lips move ;)

I wouldn't even bother returning to this dealers. He's having a laugh.

Email or ring as many dealerships as you can.

You should be expecting to take 9% AT THE VERY LEAST off an A3.

Don't be afraid to play dealers off against one another. You don't know them from Adam, and they certainly won't be forthcoming with discounts unless they are pressed and pressed.

Play hardball. Be direct. Get printouts of internet broker prices and take them with you. Put them in front of the dealers.

Try and speak directly with the senior sales manager to avoid the pantomime that is the sales guy running off to his "boss" every 10 minutes to get you his "best deal"

Oh, and brace yourself for a long wait :)

Good luck.

Haha.. purple actually:wacko::wacko:! I'll ring round the dealers and if I have no joy, then i'll get in contact with drive the deal. I don't mind waiting for the car, as I am planning for late March already to be honest - Just don't want it to be 'too' long! I'll keep you informed anyway - just to let you know how things go!

Thanks for your helpful responses - much appreciated! :blink:

I ordered my A3 SB Black Edition 2.0TDI 170 S tronic with loads of extras on Aug 5th and managed to get 12.5% off quoting Broadspeed.

I went well armed with copies of Drive the Deal and Autobytel. When the salesman just started to try to poo poo the internet dealers , I told I bought my daughters car (Toyota) via car quake and had no problem , and that as Autobytel is owned by Inchcape who are one of the worlds largest dealer networks , there would be no problem there , he admitted they supplied cars via these internet companies. We then negotiated and I got about 8.5% off matching the price that Autobytel had quoted me.

Hi Again,

I went into a couple of showrooms, and there answer was '3% Discount'! I had numerous figures - but they said they can't match it because of limited supply with the Audi A1 coming out.

Personally, I think this is an absolute joke. As many of you on here, paying of 21,500+ for a 1.4T with a 1,000 extras is rediculous.

I'm now starting to look at alternative cars (such as the scirocco) that will do decent discount!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Hi Again,

I went into a couple of showrooms, and there answer was '3% Discount'! I had numerous figures - but they said they can't match it because of limited supply with the Audi A1 coming out.

Personally, I think this is an absolute joke. As many of you on here, paying of 21,500+ for a 1.4T with a 1,000 extras is rediculous.

I'm now starting to look at alternative cars (such as the scirocco) that will do decent discount!

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

Whoever you're dealing with must think you came down with the last shower!!! 3% is a joke, mate!

I was getting quotes of 7% discount over the 'Phone and via emails BEFORE I even stepped into a dealers showroom! (I ended up with 11.2% off after haggling hard.)

I said it in my earlier post, you MUST play them at their own game. Are you actually in a position to buy today? If you are you can put some serious pressure on them. Having said that, don't come across as desperate to buy.
Did you take printouts of the internet broker quotes with you and put them under their noses? Have you emailled all the different Audi Dealers?

Totally agree with above!!! They are having a laugh 3% is pathetic.

I went in the dealers and asked to speak to a dealer. They came and I sat down with a dealer who wanted to go through some figures. I didn't have print outs, but I said - I would only be interested if I have a decent discount. I told them the extras and then he said 'you won't get any discount'. So I straight away said, then there isn't any point us going any further. He then said, let me double check so he went off and said he could provide us with a 3% discount, at this point I said i'm not prepared to pay it as he was only taking off next years VAT increase.

I am in position to purchase today for a March delivery. I haven't E-Mailed the dealers as I thought going in person may push the price tag down a little more.

Just a question, because they keep claiming 'Audi are producing a A1, therefore they are cutting the production for the A3 so it doesn't have effect on the new A1, is this correct? Because, I just wondered when did you order your car?

Thanks for your time

I personally don't believe just because they need to step up A1 production they will cut A3. Your definately right all he's doing is knocking off the VAT increase. Also if a car is built before the taxman puts up the VAT they can invoice the car at 17.5%. Obviously you've got your own options you want on the car but they may find a cancelled order a car that's been built to roughly your spec that you can get at the 17.5% VAT.

Again as I said before try every dealer around get emailing and faxing ask the question who wants your business!!!

I went in the dealers and asked to speak to a dealer. They came and I sat down with a dealer who wanted to go through some figures. I didn't have print outs, but I said - I would only be interested if I have a decent discount. I told them the extras and then he said 'you won't get any discount'. So I straight away said, then there isn't any point us going any further. He then said, let me double check so he went off and said he could provide us with a 3% discount, at this point I said i'm not prepared to pay it as he was only taking off next years VAT increase.

I am in position to purchase today for a March delivery. I haven't E-Mailed the dealers as I thought going in person may push the price tag down a little more.

Just a question, because they keep claiming 'Audi are producing a A1, therefore they are cutting the production for the A3 so it doesn't have effect on the new A1, is this correct? Because, I just wondered when did you order your car?

Thanks for your time

You've "allowed" them to give you their interpretation of a "decent discount" !

You want the best price - they want the most cash they can get out of you. You need to be in a place where you are both happy, ie. you've got the most discount possibly available off them and they've got a sale.

Emailling a load of dealers is a really good starting point. It won't get you the figures you're after but It will point you in the direction of a particular dealer who is more likely to "do a deal".

Having an (achievable) discount in mind is a must. There's no point in you asking for [say]20% off, but there's no harm in starting proceedings at just a little lower than the internet brokers. You should get to a mid point (imo) somewhere between 8-13%

The guff about A1 production sounds typical dealer tosh.

I ordered mid July 2010 for an expected Late April 2011 delivery (NINE months wait) and since doing the deal, have also contacted Audi UK and got them to take the 2.5% VAT increase also. Result. (Thats after my dealer told me there was "NO way" that would be done!)

I would trust a car salesman about as far as I could throw them.

Just keep at 'em. (although it sounds like you're wasting your time with the dealer you've spoken to)

All the best
Lofty

Definatly agree with lofty above! The sales managery dad dealt with admitted that the dealer has 20% on a new car so u atleast want a split down the centre!!!

Good luck mate it's going to be a long wait for the car anyway so make sure you get a deal you won't regret.

I've just thought of a couple of bits of bad news. Prices have just been increased (October2010) and also I would think that any order placed now wouldn't stand much chance of going for the 2.5% extra VAT knocking off :( That will equate to over a grand extra on a 20K+ motor.

More reason for going for maximum discount!

Thank you very much for your helpful responses. I have just started E-Mailing the dealers who I haven't touched to see what they have to offer. I completly agree with you both, it's rediculous and I have ordered many cars before and atleast got 10% discount.

I'll keep you updated on what I achieve from these E-Mail's!

Thanks again,

Matty

No problem :)

Don't forget to mail as many franchise GROUPS as you can ie. Sytner, Jct, Smithknightfay etc.etc as they will all have different maximum discounts available to them. (You could have 3 Audi dealers closest to you but they could all be under the "Sytner" umbrella for example)

And yeah, keep us informed :)

I think this is a blessing in disguise.

Test drive a Golf VI. I genuinely think it's a better car. It looks better too, and you should get a good price on it

Ive heard of this before. There is a lot of demand for the A3 at the moment apparantly, and that may explain people on here waiting months for a new car. But 3% is ridiculous. :noway:

I think this is a blessing in disguise.

Test drive a Golf VI. I genuinely think it's a better car. It looks better too, and you should get a good price on it

Yeah, but its a Golf... :blink: Nah to be honest, I do think that they are a good well built car, and probably give you more for your money. But it just doesnt have the style that an A3 has. Although, the GTI's and R's are good lookers. What do you think of the Scirocco? Try and ignore the fact that most are white :p

Max Trade discount is currently 9% on A3 and as they can't get enough they will be unlikely to discount significantly.

My local dealer is the same at the moment. I have a mate that works there and he's previously told me they have that much demand for Black Edition A3's they won't discount, they don't need to cos they are selling them no problem.

Then my Dad went in today looking to swap his low mileage 58 reg S-line Sportback 2.0 TDI for a new one but a Black Edition and they told him they want his car plus 9k! Told them to stuff it. Looking at internet deals now.

If anyone can recommend somewhere or if any salesmen are reading this feel free to get in touch with me and I can put my Dad on to you.

Hi All,
I'm new to the audi forum, and looking to buy a new A3 Sportback Black Edition 2.0 170BHP DIESEL

With a few extras, sat nav, comfort pack, etc etc

What sort of discount should i look for? Also anyone know any good salesmen or dealers where i can get a good deal?

(anyone know why some diesels have 1 exhaust, and some have 2 exhausts?)
Thanks,

Singh

I quoted broadspeed.com (£2,500 off list price) to my local dealer and showed him the quote that they email you and he matched it and threw in the VPP and Metalmate (paint protection and alloy wheel protection) valued at £400.

The 140 diesel has a single exhaust and the 170 diesel has a twin exhaust.

You could try my local dealer - Huntingdon Audi 01480 454545. I always get a good deal from them and they do deal with customers all over the UK.

Ask to speak to Lee Stubbings and say a colleague on the Audi-Sport Forum with the users name of H5 DJR (David Robinson) suggested you speak to him. He is a very straight forward chap and I have bought all 7 of my A3s from him.

Been dealing with Orange Wheels. Found them cheaper than anywhere else. They put you in contact with a dealer and from that point on you do everything through the dealer but at the Orange Wheels price. Free delivery on the back of a low loader too.

Went to my local Audi dealer last Friday out of curiosity and they wanted £2,500 more than Orange Wheels for an identical car.

cheers gents!

i just left a message for lee stubbings to call me back. he is busy with a customer...

also i have checked out orange wheels, its awesome!! will get onto Audi and see what they can do... im still not 100% sure about this exhaust issue. when ordering, i want to get in writting that my car will have 2. it looks so much better than the single.

anywa thanks for your help lads, will let u know how i get on

If you do it through Orange Wheels you only do the initial talk with Orange Wheels then after that they get a genuine Audi dealer to contact you directly. Would recommend them.

hi all,

been researching around today! made some pretty good progress. my car after being spec'd up, came to about 28K list price (with 17.5%), and i've been getting figures from dealers in the region of 25,300 upto about 26,000

so about 2,500 off on average

does that sound good enough? im pretty happy with that...is there anything i should ask for or haggle further?

lee stubbings from huntingdon was very good, he didnt waste any time and gave me a good quote instantly. i also went through orange wheels and got a quote for about 25,300.

Hi All,

Just to let you know, i went to my local Audi dealer and showed them my Orange Wheels Quote...25,300 and they more a less matched it!

They knew i was serious and wanted to pay, so its a done deal!

A3 Sportback, Black Edition 2.0TDI 170 with full leather and heated seats., Comfort Pack, Tech Pack (sat nav etc), Luggage Pack, Storage Pack, Interior Light Pack

Cheers

Hi All,

Just to let you know, i went to my local Audi dealer and showed them my Orange Wheels Quote...25,300 and they more a less matched it!

They knew i was serious and wanted to pay, so its a done deal!

A3 Sportback, Black Edition 2.0TDI 170 with full leather and heated seats., Comfort Pack, Tech Pack (sat nav etc), Luggage Pack, Storage Pack, Interior Light Pack

Cheers

Well done Singh... Did you go for Quattro.. you will not regret it if you do... if you haven't it's not too late to amend the order. ;-)

Nah - didnt go for Quattro. They had a 170 2 wheel drive there, and it was pretty rapid! im happy with this, quattro would be good, but i dont think i'll need it....

(well...i need to think about it...)
I got mine in Pearl Lava Grey...its going to look awesome! Can't wait...

Now i need to hassle my dealer about a loan car until march/april haha

Nah - didnt go for Quattro. They had a 170 2 wheel drive there, and it was pretty rapid! im happy with this, quattro would be good, but i dont think i'll need it....

(well...i need to think about it...)
I got mine in Pearl Lava Grey...its going to look awesome! Can't wait...

Now i need to hassle my dealer about a loan car until march/april haha

Lava Grey is nice (if not quite Phantom) and really suits the car IMHO.

If you are getting in March you are a lucky person, we ordered in July and are still build week 7! What dates have you been given?

Regarding Quattro, it has to be lived with to really appreciate it, the FWD is OK but with Quattro the car handles so much better, no tram lining and front wheel scrambling about. To me it's like electric windows and radios ... once you have had it anything else is either second best or you feel like you are missing something.

No loan car unless they mess up on delivery and we were due week 40!!!

Good luck on what you decide. which stealer did you go with in the end? Reading??