knocking and grinding noise on left hand bends

wickyianr1

Reaction score
hi all,apart from the knocking noise on bumpy left handers ive noticed a metal like scrapping noise aswell any ideas:(

Hard to say without listening to it. I'd get the car jacked up, take wheel off and look for any shiny metal & turn hub/disc while listening. Maybe you can narrow it down a bit.

hello mate x2 what khufu said.

also is the noise only when going round left hand bends and also does it increase id you increase speed and the angle of the turn? i have had this problem before. some woman crashed into me and it affected the engine mounts. it took them ages to find where the noise was actually coming from. they replaced the drive shafts as they thought it was them so id check them too. then they placed microphones under the bonnet and found out that it was that the inside of the engine mounts, the honeycomb structure had been disrupted. (it was on the left hand side of mine as if you are looking under the bonnet) (so it will be the other side for yours) check for signs of scraping on the outside of the mount againts the connecting part to the engine which is where it was on mine. hope this helped

is is all the time or does it start after a certain speed?

right chaps if i go round a left hander slow no noise when pushed hard i get the knocking noise and this horrible metal scraping noise like the alloy is scraping the road had two garages look at it for play in everything and nothing was loose or worn:ermm:

Inner or outer CV joints or maybe a hub i would reckon

My guess would be wheel bearings as i had a similar thing, but when i was turning right. Drive in a straight line at 30/40mph and trun left and right slightly to see if you get the sound to get louder or quiter.

i have a simalar problem car is conering fine and not maiking a noise but over speed bumps no matter how slow in the rear maybe passenger side its creeking/squeeking. ( any idears if its the same) hopfully its just the springs

hi chaps a bit more info it sounds like a heavy wheel wobble like its not in contact with the road the faster you go the worst it is its fine in a straight lineat any speed :ermm:

Probably the wheel bearings as mentioned above..
Always obvious when accelerating into a turn.
If the sound is from the rear then the diff or haldex could be to blame
Either/or

i think i will just have to get it looked at just hope its simple

hi all,apart from the knocking noise on bumpy left handers ive noticed a metal like scrapping noise aswell any ideas:(
Hi there, I know it's been a while, 6 years in fact! But I was hoping you could help me out.
I have exactly the same symptoms as you've described on my 54 reg A3 3.2 DSG. Assuming you eventually got to the bottom of the problem, what was it in the end?
At first assumed it was the wheel bearings, but there's no other symptoms of perished wheel bearings. Naturally I then thought it maybe drive shafts, but I don't want to spend £80 on new shafts and go to the trouble of changing them to find out its something else.