Sunglasses holder for A3 SB

Geraldy212

Sportback owner
Reaction score
I know this is an old subject, but I could not find much help in old postings. Some years back, I saw a sunglasses holder, which replaces the driver-side grab handle. From my recent research I found this part number: 1J0 857 465 Y20 which may be a part number for a Golf Mk IV. Can any member steer me in the right direction (part number & vendor) where I can purchase one of these? I understand that some of these holders being sold today do not have the right spacing for the A3 fixing screws. Thanks in advance.

Ive fitted the same part to my a3 m8, its a slightly different
Size to the grab handle, but will still fit ok, holders can be
Bought at vw dealers or the bay etc

Cal

Hi anyone know if this is a black one as I would be interested in doing this myself Thanks

Yikes... I found them all on the fleabay, but they all seem to come from Hong Kong! Has anyone purchased from these Asian vendors? Danny, as far as I could see, the colour black does not appear to be popular. I would think they could be very easily sprayed any colour of your choice.

you can purchase genuine holder from vw stealer for well under £20, and choose the colour you want, hth

cal

Just some information for anyone contemplating the purchase of the sunglass holders. The fixing screw (torx) centers are at 17.0 centimeters. With this, you can quickly check if the VW holder you are about to buy can fit into the A3 grap handle position. Hope this helps.

Did this to my old cupra r I had.

Easy peasy and very handy. I had completely forgot about it until this thread. One more for the mods list lol!

Further to this has anyone successfully retro-fitted the sunglasses holder from a MK5 up near the interior light?

sunglasses.jpg

I'd assume you might need the frame, light and the sunglasses holder itself from the MK5 - which comes to around £60 all in

Anyone done it? :)

Just rang VW:

Me: "Hi, could you look up a sunglasses holder for a Mk4 Golf for me please?"
Monkey: "Yes, do you have your registration?"
Me: "No, it's going to be fitted into an Audi A3"
Monkey: "Well this is VW, how are you going to fit it to an Audi?"
Me: "By screwing it in where the grab handle goes"
Monkey: "Well this is VW, so would you like the number for Audi?"
Me: "No it's okay thanks, the Golf part will be fine"
Monkey: "It's not that easy, there are all kinds of different ones"
Me: "Oh really, in terms of colour choice?"
Monkey: "No, there are loads of different trims to choose from. Do you have curtain airbags?"
Me: "Yes"
Monkey: "Okay. That's £24 + VAT"

Clearly a huuuuuge list of issues to sort out before he could locate what I needed!! Can't stand bitchy parts muppets.

looks good, is it available in the dark/black colour to match the s-line dark interior & headliner

I'll stick up a pic of mine once it's arrived and I've fitted it :)

This part did not fit my 8P A3.

I just spent out £27 on a brand new part from VW: Part number 1JO 857 465 Y20, as detailled in the OP's findings, but it does not fit my 2005 8P A3. The hole spacings were way off. A bit disappointing really, and I can't really return it because taking the VW screws out has slightly marked the plastic.
Great way to waste the best part of £30 :slapped:

Me too, it's a bit annoying when the part number was confirmed, and fitment was said to be straight-forward. The screws are spaced about 50mm or so too close together, it's nowhere near fitting, so is useless for an 8P A3.

sorry to hear that mate, sure stick it on ebay and see what happens

bluequattro - I am failing to see how you were able to fit this part to your car, yet it's a million miles off fitting mine...unless you've actually got an old 8L A3 and posted in the 8P forum?

Im pretty sure a 05 a3 is an 8p model m8, il post up the number and
A pic when i get a chance

i'm pretty sure my car doesn't have a hole in the headlining for the grab handle

but at the same time i'm sure the earliest 8Ps i've seen were on an 03 plate so there's no way that an 05 isn't an 8P... confused.com

Very odd. Do you see how your grab handle mounting points aren't actually the same shape as the cutouts in your roof lining? Mine ARE the same shape, and have rectangular flip-up covers to conceal the screw heads. My car is an 05 plate 8P Sportback.

Very odd. Do you see how your grab handle mounting points aren't actually the same shape as the cutouts in your roof lining? Mine ARE the same shape, and have rectangular flip-up covers to conceal the screw heads. My car is an 05 plate 8P Sportback.

Mine are the same

Ive actually got 2 cover washers still to fit and cover
The holes, just not gotten round to it lol, i think this holder
Is mkiv golf or passat, ill post part number as soon as i
Remove it. Hth

Cal

Smoothie - The same as whose?

bluequattro - I mean the plastic caps that cover the screws holding your grab handle to your roof. Yours are curvy, whereas mine are rectangular, and the spacing must be drastically different. How very odd...