2nd gear notchines

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
I have just had my 2nd gear synchro replaced on my 2004 6-Speed GRF gearbox and the crunch going from 1st to 2nd has greatly improved although it still feels like their is a little notch as it goes in to 2nd.
Could there be something else at fault or are all 6-speed boxes like this ? I have filled the box with G052911A2 oil which isn't bad from a cold start and isn't cheap!!!. I have read about G060726A2 oil which is mineral based and alot cheaper than the other stuff - would this help or make it worse do you think ?
Should I try thinner or thicker gearbox oils? The clutch, flywheel and slave cylinder were also replaced at the same time the box was out so I can rule these out.
Could someone also tell me if 02J and GRF is the same gearbox as I'm sure the sticker on my car says my box is GRF although I could of sworn I read 02J on the bottom of the box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as It is driving me nuts and spoils what is overall a good car.
thanks

HI
I have 2007 A3 tdi 28.000miles. I have same problem of going into 2nd gear. Went to audi they changed the clutch and flywheel under warranty. Got it back and still the same after (Hard go in 2nd gear)
Went back they said, It's fine all are audis like this. Told them well my old 2004 A3 didnt do this but they didnt wanna know.
Ending up giving up, Just living with it. It's right pain sometimes on roundabouts i know that.

Thanks for your reply. I can't believe just how rubbish the gearboxes are!!!!

I'm sure there was a post about adjusting the cables to make sure they arent out of alignment. Maybe a search will find it.

I have found the VAG adjustment for the cables and performed this procedure. Hasn't made any difference

Does anyone know if the adjustment on the gear linkage cables actually adjusts how the gears work in the gearbox or is it just for taking the slack out of the cables between the gearstick and the gearbox selector mechanism ?
thanks

Thanks for your reply, I thought that was the case! Has anyone any ideas what could still be wrong with the box or are they just rubbish boxes ? Any ideas where to get a new one from ?

Is the repair still under warrenty? It sounds like they either havent done it right or missed something.

Yea it should be but I had someone else take the box out for me so I would have to pay labour costs again! I'm sure there is something wrong with the box and for peace of mind I would just prefer to get another unit as some people have mentioned that their boxes are fine so thinking it is just a bad box and there not all like it. Now to try and find another reasonably priced box ? Any suggestions welcome.