Engine Bay Make Over See What You Think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSG TDI

Reaction score
Ok so i like to have smart engine bays aswell as outside looks my starlet GT had a wicked engine bay and ive always thought the a3's needed making abit more interesting. Ive looked for carbon fibre engine covers but they only seem to do them for the TFSI engines. So i came up with an ingenious plan that no one has done before to my knowledge.Sorry about the poor quality pics was my phone camera.So i covered my engine, battery, fuse covers and my air filter box and cold air intake in blue alcantara. :tocktock:

Il start with the engine cover.

IMG158.jpg

IMG159.jpg

IMG162.jpg

Battery and fuse covers

IMG157.jpg

And all done after me and my mate spent 18 hours doing it but i feel it was worth it.

IMG168.jpg

IMG167.jpg

So what do people think of it i know alot of people are going to think its pointless but i wanted something different.

Wow thats.......

When the engine gets warm its not going to peel off is it? lol

Seems like my car is the big marmite car on hear .

And no it wont peel off i had to think very carefully about what glue to use. In the end i used some evo stick glue as it was very srong, waterproof and was rated up to 130 degrees so it wont melt of catch on fire.

Last edited:
Surely thats not going to look nice and clean for long? I'd have gone with a 3M gloss wrap myself if I was going to do something like that, at least it would wipe clean.

As much as it looks pretty tidy now, I fear you may have a difficult task on your hands keeping it that way. But good effort all the same fella.

Cheers and my engine bay never really gets dirty just abit of dust.

It is different so hands down for that..but not to my taste. Think if it was sprayed or as beanior said 3M gloss wrap would look alot better. but will give it to you, you dont a very tidy job...And as long as you are pleased with the result thats all that matters really.

Last edited:
Because i wanted something abit more interesting that paint plus everyone paints bits.

Oh lordy the demographic of this board has changed since I was last here

You really don't want to hear my opinion on your furry engine cover although strangely enough I am intrigued to see what you do next

Reactions: DaztheGuv
Oh lordy the demographic of this board has changed since I was last here

You really don't want to hear my opinion on your furry engine cover although strangely enough I am intrigued to see what you do next

Go for it i couldent care less what people think, i like it and alot of other peole do aswell.

And no im not doing under the bonnet ive spent enough time on it lol.Break untill christmas in which il hopfully be getting the miltec.

Go for it i couldent care less what people think

Well you did say in your first post "what do people think".

It's different, I've never seen anything like it before myself, and like all things different there will always be a huge amount of people that don't like it, a bit like the new shape Renault Megane, people hated that when it was launched it got slated left, right and centre. But look at it now, people accept the new look now they are used to it and the car gets praise. Think of yourself as trend setter!

I dont really like the furry bay look myself, but as I said above it's a good effort. Stick to your guns though and I look forward to seeing the astro turf on the roof when you've finished ;)

The new Megane looks AWFUL Nick tbh.

Ok bad example, but you know where i'm going with it right? I was trying for some moral support really. It's a bit like your purple wheels, they're different and not everybody likes them, but it wouldn't (and shouldn't) stop you doing it.

Of course I know where your going with it. But I don't need people's approval :laugh:

I know there are not to everybodys taste, they are to mine = win :wub:

After having another gander, i think it reminds me of the alcantara trim in the Noggy Blue 8L S3's!

Thats going to be a bitch to keep clean! I can see you made a good effort there and as long as you like, then good on ya.

Yeh i no i put what do people think, as i wanted to know what peolpe think of it but what i mean is i dont care if people like it or not because i do. Im not going to change it because a few peolple dont like it i cant wait to see what reaction it gets a ADI this weekend i presume much the same as on here lol. And cheers for the support.

being brutally honest... :puke:

i just cant understand why you put interior in the engine bay...

forget meganes and purple wheels.. this is like using leather as arch liners....

it would have looked much better just sprayed blue.. or 3M wrapped as already mentioned..

is it flame retardant?? id be so paranoid driving around with it!!

but as already mentioned.. if you like it and your happy then fair play...

anyways... im just on my way out now to get some shag pile to heat wrap my manifold... :ninja:

You know, I have to say I'll be somewhat not going with the norm but I think you did a pretty good job there. Needs a few tweaks here and there though. Although I have the to say the battery cover, the intake and the fusebox is a little extreme though. Here's a little inspiration for you:

wf20090606050.jpg

Oh, make sure to get some hi-temp coat on those. You don't want them to.. well, y'know. :sadlike:

Good job.

i suppose its quite good for anyone working on the engine.. they can write notes on the different patches with there fingers...

You know, I have to say I'll be somewhat not going with the norm but I think you did a pretty good job there. Needs a few tweaks here and there though. Although I have the to say the battery cover, the intake and the fusebox is a little extreme though. Here's a little inspiration for you:

wf20090606050.jpg

Oh, make sure to get some hi-temp coat on those. You don't want them to.. well, y'know. :sadlike:

imagine spillng the oil lol

Good job.

imagine spillng the oil lol :scared2::haha:

Not a fan. It needs a few adjustments to look okay.

It's a bit to much. I wouldn't do the battery box, fuse cover, air intake and air filter.

i've got some light oak laminate flooring left over from my kitchen, just about enough to do the footwells in an S3...

Does this remind you of the Top Gear when Jezza did an old Merc (?) up to look like a country cottage complete with a wood burning stove?

i've got some light oak laminate flooring left over from my kitchen, just about enough to do the footwells in an S3...

:nyah::applaus::notme:

listen guys this is all a bit of friendly banta... he wanted opinions... hes got them.. job done!! no offence to anyone intended!

im still laughing at your comment beanoir!! :laugh:

Last edited:
:nyah::applaus::notme:

listen guys this is all a bit of friendly banta... he wanted opinions... hes got them.. job done!! no offence to anyone intended!

im still laughing at your comment beanoir!! :laugh:

Absolutely right. I've offered my support to the guy in earlier posts, a bit of pub style banter never hurt anybody.

Cheers RYE

Make sure you dont spill you oil topping it up and make sure anyone that works on it has clean hands,couldnt you have used something a bit more heavy duty like lyno or maybe mosaic tiling one might be one for the future as they are both wipe clean

Status
Not open for further replies.