Soft/Light Clutch Pedal

DaveA3-TDI

Reaction score
Just had a new sachs clutch and flywheel fitted to my 2.0litre tdi and the clutch pedal feels really really soft and light and not as firm as it used to be with the old clutch and flywheel. It appears to be selecting gears fine and no funny noises so what can be causing the soft/light pedal feeling? Is it normal or will it firm up when I have done a few miles ?
I can't find anything on the forums so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Is it soft, or is it light?

If it's light, then your new pressure plate is probably more lightly-sprung.

If it's soft, your clutch probably needs bleeding properly.

The only way I can describe it is that when you push the clutch down it is very easy to push down and there isn't much resistance behind it, more like pushing air that hydraulic fluid. I don't appear to have any problems changing gear but also the bite point is very near to the floor whereas I am sure the bite point on the old clutch used to be near the top of the middle of the clutch pedal travel. The Clutch salve cylinder was also replaced.

Dave - Does it feel like there's an amount of low-resistance slack to take up for the majority of the pedal's travel, then the last section is stiffer, just before the clutch disengages? Sounds like a bleed problem if so.

yes that describes it perfectly and thats what it feels like, so it looks like they haven't bleed the clutch properly ?

probably can't get back there to have it re bleed until next saturday, will it cause any damage driving around till then as it is ? Is it something I could do myself ?

probably can't get back there to have it re bleed until next saturday, will it cause any damage driving around till then as it is ? Is it something I could do myself ?
Hiya ive got same ptoblem did u find out what was causing the clutch to be soft/light

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk