The Number Plate LED's

Smoothie

Reaction score
Ok so there are countless threads similar to this one i have read them all, but still the answer is not clear

What LED's will not show the bulb error, will be direct replacement and most importantly will look OEM as the ones i have tick all the boxes but they have like 16LED's so are seriously bright?

What are you guys running? Links & Pics of your own would be a bonus thanks :yes:

I bought these ebay led

Perfect brightness with 2 leds, built in heatsink and well made also. Direct swap with no dis errors.

Case closed :)

Cheers mate, 2LED's seems plenty TBH

Anybody Else?

I've got the three LED ones from my thread, about the same brightness as OEM but much whiter, keep meaning to get some pics for you but the weather is rubbish :sadlike:

I've got the three LED ones from my thread, about the same brightness as OEM but much whiter, keep meaning to get some pics for you but the weather is rubbish :sadlike:

Yea mate i followed yours quite closely, but there were guys in your thread that had problems with the ones you used where there not? So what way did they work out for you in the end? Get some pics up lol really don' t want a set that is too bright

These are the one from your thread:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Smoothie,

I followed tobycruse's thread and had no problems at all.

'How-To' Thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/63459-a3-s3-led-bulb-how-guide-4.html

Bulbs i purchased: eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Before Pic:
DSC02080.jpg

New bulbs and resistors in place:
DSC02099.jpg

After Pic:
DSC021452.jpg

Big improvement i think.

Hope that helps.

I found the resistor method to be a bit hit and miss after a while. You cant solder the resistors for a good connection, so rely on wrapping the legs around the light prongs to fix. I found after time, the started to get loose, and cause intermittant errors.

Resistors built in are the way forward I feel.

100% the way forward imho

raj that's a great help, nice to see your before and after! That's pretty much the brightness I'm looking for but I wouldn't be crazy about the whole resistor thing mate

I think I prefer the idea of the resistor built in

All a bit hit and miss tbh. Bought some for my MY10 S3, got bulb out warning. Put the same into my brother-in-law's 2007 A3 S-Line, no problems.

I also really want some but given up until someone has a workng set in an MY10 S3.

My two pennies worth

All a bit hit and miss tbh. Bought some for my MY10 S3, got bulb out warning. Put the same into my brother-in-law's 2007 A3 S-Line, no problems.

I also really want some but given up until someone has a workng set in an MY10 S3.

My two pennies worth

Same ive tried a few in my MY10 BE with no luck they worked but kicked up a fault on DIS and I couldnt be bothered to fiddle around with resistors just wanted plug a play. No luck so far. When / If i get some ill post them up for other MY10 can have a look!

you realise you can turn off cold diagnosis and the bulb errors should go (dependant on central electrics unit)

Smoothie,

What model year is your car?

I bought some supposedly error free bulbs about a year ago for my 2008 car but got errors. Like you I wasn't keen on fitting resistors so gave up. However I'm now willing to try again.

Thanks.
Ron

Boys my car is the 2006 in my sig! I have been running the expensive LED housings on my car since march with no errors or problems, but they were too bright for my liking so I was searching for a bulb with only 2LED's too cut down on the brightness! The ones Scottie & I used in option one are perfect brightness

If you don't mind them being a little on the bright side then I have my old ones here which are the complete light housing so it's just a simple plug and play with them, don't know if anyone is interested? il get some pics up this evening no problem

id be interested buddy pm me a price, away to work on the car but ill get back to you tonight on it

Ok these are the original set i had, which were too bright imo:

DSCF5103.jpg

When compared to the original bulb housing:

IMG_0730.jpg

Last edited:
ill put click by pic guide up in a week or two its in the long coding of the central electrics unit

You can turn off cold diagnosis which stops the bulb error by using VCDS but that doesn't stop the ECU turning the light off !

It didn't on mine anyway !! :sadlike:

i can turn more than just the cold diag off ill let everyone know after tweaking about a bit

P5SND - what I meant mate was that turning the bulb warning off ( cold diagnosis ) does not stop the lights going out. There is no point in turning off the warning light if the things won't work anyway !!

I did this on sidelights and the bulb warning stops but the ECU also turns the power off because there is not enough current in the LED's and it thinks the ****** has blown !!!

Ok - I give in !!!!!!! :think:

Cold diagnosis is exactly what it says - when you switch the ignition on the computer checks all bulbs to see if a filament has blown whether or not the bulb is switched on (cold!). If you switch that facility off then it doesn't check that circuit and the warning does not work.

However, regardless of the cold diagnosis check, if the current draw is insufficient in the circuit when the light is switched on, the ECU will kill the power to that circuit thinking the bulb(s) has blown.

In my 2006 sportback the above comments apply to ALL external lighting circuits.

Honest !! :yes:

Last edited:
So are we saying that the option one bulbs dont work in the MY10 onwards models?

there are other ways to emulate a bulb, and the wiring hasnt changed so it should still work fine

Can't say definitely but my guess is they won't work.

I have emailed ebay advertisers (uk) indicating that I have had no success with any LED's asking them if they are happy to provide a full refund.

I have had no replies.

Thing really comes down to the fact that these led's are not that expensive (£5 -£10) and therefore if you really want to, then try them out. If they work then ok, if not then not much lost.

I have binned 5 sets that do not work without resistor modification and have run out of enthusiasm !

Good luck to all who try :icon_thumright:

so what about the interior LED's? Are there plug and play available or do they require the resistor? Anyone done this / tried this?

if youve bought scotties ones seems so as i have a similar set with a heatsink and they were p&P

no mate think he was speaking in general not from experience with the 09+ model

so what about the interior LED's? Are there plug and play available or do they require the resistor? Anyone done this / tried this?

I've done this, I'll try and find where I found the LED's and get some pics up later on or tomorrow. The LED's stay on like an 'ambient' lightening in the front and rear which look nice especially at night and when turned on it's a nice bright white light. No need for resistors just plug and play.