JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132

    A3 Autolights - is this right?

    I have autolights, fitted from manufacturer and when I put it on O (off), the lights are very dim, but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on (side lights I think its called? and then at night the xenons work fine.

    My question is; can the lights never be turned off? Seems to be 3 stages; dim lights, side lights and fully on.

    Not too good at technical terms for them but you get the dea
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

    A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

    Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    If you have auto lights, there should be a stage between 0 and sidelights that says "auto"

    Should look like this:



    I think you're on about the DRL's (daytime running lights) which are always on. However you can change this by going into the car options if you have the RNSE or using VAGCOM
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  4. #3
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Smudge
    He says "but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on "
    Auto is the 2nd option so he has auto so should they glow dim in the off position ? well no, sounds like a bad earth to me but Nige is our electrics bod.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  5. #4
    smudge_don's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    2,941
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Smudge
    He says "but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on "
    Auto is the 2nd option so he has auto so should they glow dim in the off position ? well no, sounds like a bad earth to me but Nige is our electrics bod.
    He says that the sidelights come on, so either he doesn't have auto lights and therefore has a switch with 3 stages, or he is thinking that the DRL's are sidelights, which they're not

    In "auto" the DRL's are on all the time
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...


    I'll be back!!!

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Grantham UK
    Posts
    39
    For info:-
    2010 Sportback with Adaptive Xenons
    In the off "0" position everything is off including DRLs, Auto does its own thing (a bit too sensitive for my liking, headlights are on far too soon), Side lights setting brings on DRLs only and Headlight setting turns on Head lights manually. No DRL dimmer or switch on the panel on my version though!

  7. #6
    scottie123's Avatar
    (●̮̮̃̃) (●̮̮̃̃)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    (.) (.)
    Posts
    1,888
    A3 rider

    Please clarify what year your car is, this will help us to help you.

    It seems unclear at the moment what you have
    05 SB SE BKD

    Build Thread

  8. #7
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by A3_Rider View Post
    I have autolights, fitted from manufacturer and when I put it on O (off), the lights are very dim, but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on (side lights I think its called? and then at night the xenons work fine.

    My question is; can the lights never be turned off? Seems to be 3 stages; dim lights, side lights and fully on.

    Not too good at technical terms for them but you get the dea
    take a photo of your headlight control panel
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    Never had autolights or xenons before. I thought DRL was the height the lights would be at!



    Changed it to 0 and they go off now - what is the purpose of the DRL? Also what is that button below the DRL?

    I will read the manual in an hours time too lol
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

    A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

    Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

  10. #9
    FranA3's Avatar
    events moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    south wales
    Posts
    7,124
    drl is daytime running lights so you should have in position 0 no lights on in position 1 (on the drl switch ) drl if i think they are in the middle of the headlights looks like sidelights but brighter and if you turn sidelights on then the drl will go off so leaving just sidelights on and then zenon's on for the main headlights , the button below is for the coming home / leaving lights
    ​She is back on the road yay!!

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132
    I was wondering about them as my friend has them on his R32 DIS and I couldn't see it on mine - thanks!
    A3 3.2 S Line DSG

    A3 TDI S Line DSG Gone

    Update on A3/TT 3.2 V6 software update: See this post

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ig_steve View Post
    For info:-
    2010 Sportback with Adaptive Xenons
    In the off "0" position everything is off including DRLs, Auto does its own thing (a bit too sensitive for my liking, headlights are on far too soon), Side lights setting brings on DRLs only and Headlight setting turns on Head lights manually. No DRL dimmer or switch on the panel on my version though!
    AGREE. Anyway we can adjust its settings? To let it stay at its brightest at all times?

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO