A3 Autolights - is this right?

A3_Rider

Reaction score
I have autolights, fitted from manufacturer and when I put it on O (off), the lights are very dim, but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on (side lights I think its called? and then at night the xenons work fine.

My question is; can the lights never be turned off? Seems to be 3 stages; dim lights, side lights and fully on.

Not too good at technical terms for them but you get the dea:scared2:

If you have auto lights, there should be a stage between 0 and sidelights that says "auto"

Should look like this:

A3_TT_Switch.jpg

I think you're on about the DRL's (daytime running lights) which are always on. However you can change this by going into the car options if you have the RNSE or using VAGCOM

Smudge
He says "but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on "
Auto is the 2nd option so he has auto :) so should they glow dim in the off position ? well no, sounds like a bad earth to me but Nige is our electrics bod.

Smudge
He says "but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on "
Auto is the 2nd option so he has auto :) so should they glow dim in the off position ? well no, sounds like a bad earth to me but Nige is our electrics bod.

He says that the sidelights come on, so either he doesn't have auto lights and therefore has a switch with 3 stages, or he is thinking that the DRL's are sidelights, which they're not

In "auto" the DRL's are on all the time

For info:-
2010 Sportback with Adaptive Xenons
In the off "0" position everything is off including DRLs, Auto does its own thing (a bit too sensitive for my liking, headlights are on far too soon), Side lights setting brings on DRLs only and Headlight setting turns on Head lights manually. No DRL dimmer or switch on the panel on my version though!

A3 rider

Please clarify what year your car is, this will help us to help you.

It seems unclear at the moment what you have

I have autolights, fitted from manufacturer and when I put it on O (off), the lights are very dim, but when I put it on auto or the 2nd option it turns the lights on (side lights I think its called? and then at night the xenons work fine.

My question is; can the lights never be turned off? Seems to be 3 stages; dim lights, side lights and fully on.

Not too good at technical terms for them but you get the dea:scared2:

take a photo of your headlight control panel

Never had autolights or xenons before. I thought DRL was the height the lights would be at!

image106a.jpg

Changed it to 0 and they go off now - what is the purpose of the DRL? Also what is that button below the DRL?

I will read the manual in an hours time too lol:eyebrows:

drl is daytime running lights so you should have in position 0 no lights on in position 1 (on the drl switch ) drl if i think they are in the middle of the headlights looks like sidelights but brighter and if you turn sidelights on then the drl will go off so leaving just sidelights on and then zenon's on for the main headlights , the button below is for the coming home / leaving lights

I was wondering about them as my friend has them on his R32 DIS and I couldn't see it on mine - thanks!

For info:-
2010 Sportback with Adaptive Xenons
In the off "0" position everything is off including DRLs, Auto does its own thing (a bit too sensitive for my liking, headlights are on far too soon), Side lights setting brings on DRLs only and Headlight setting turns on Head lights manually. No DRL dimmer or switch on the panel on my version though!

AGREE. Anyway we can adjust its settings? To let it stay at its brightest at all times?