turbo blown in half... advice... picture heavy

Reaction score
hello all

as some of you know these 2.0 tdi bkd engines are at a weak point at the turbo and ive been told most seem to need their turbo replaced either luckily under warranty or unfortunatley out of your own pocket, with me added to that list.:(

3 weeks ago my turbo blew at 80k miles on my 2.0 tdi s line 2006 a day before i was to go on holiday, i did love the car, performance and economy wise great and not too bad on looks either. very unhappy about it as i had just started to do little bits to it like the milltek exhaust, and a remap, which myself and the guys at awesome gti (who are fixing the car) think the remap put the final nail on the coffin for the turbo, as i found it was 'ghosting' and sticking, coming on and off boost sometimes and also making a 'different' noise to usual after the map.

jim @ awesome came to recover the car today after 3 weeks of looking pretty on the drive although the cars battery had completeley drained, to the point where the central locking wouldnt even work.

here are some pictures with the milltek on just after a thorough wash. the car is immaculate i hope you like it.

mya3.jpg

a32.jpg

a36.jpg

about 2 hours after jim took the car, i had a voicemail to call awesome urgently regarding the turbo. on the phone immediateley where dean told me they had never ever seen a turbo destroy itself so badly in all the time they had been there. he explained the turbo had basically been split in two and the internals had been blown out into the intercooler, they had completeley dissappeared from the turbo unit, which i felt more bad news was to come.
here are the pictures of the turbo and the contaminated pipework.

IMG_0371.jpg

completeley ripped in half:
IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

and the contaminated pipework:
IMG_0374.jpg

what is needed, well a new turbo for a start
oil feed and return pipes
gaskets of some sort
pipework
fresh oil
oil filter
new s3 intercooler
and more.

i am absolutley gutted this has happend to me, and in all honesty i have lost all faith in the a3. i am currentley thinking of changing the car to something else, downgrading possibly to something like a 1.4 golf. i know i wont like it as much but its just to be easier maybe for cheaper maintenance costs as i am only 20 and work part time and i am at university. however the other half of me thinks i should keep the car due to all the work been done to it and all of the new parts? what do you guys think?
i hope this dosent happen to anyone else on the forum.
i really need your help

regards and thanks in advance

ian

I hate to say it mate, but thats the risk buying seacond hand cars! In fact motoring in general, things break :(

Within the first 6 months of owning both my cars (im only 21, had a 3 year old astra first, now a 5 year old a3 tdi) had to have some major work done, which cost me £££, just something i had to accept!

The fact you've spent some money on it (do you whore yourself out at uni by the way? lol) you should keep it IMHO!! Take it on the chin, smile and enjoying driving it when you get it back!! :yum:

your quite right mate the next car i get will deffiniteley have warranty though. ''whore yourself out at uni''? iim not farmiliar with that?!? lol explain?? in all honesty i have just lost all my confidence in the car unfortunaleley and i dont know what to do... i think most of it is down to the cost of things because it is costing ££! but like you said, audi repairs...at audi prices. i hate paying for diesel never mind a repair.

You shouldn't lose confidence in the car mate if your having it repaired correctly it will be better than it was before. Why spend money repairing it then sell it to lose money and have a worse car???

yeah thats true, i think also i am being paranoid of things to go wrong in the future which is the last thing i want :(. on another note, what makes me think keep it is that if i do get another diesel i may feel that the turbo may need raplacing in that later on down the line....

ok, "whore yourself out", do you get paid to spend the night with older women lol, 20, at uni with a part time job with an 06 Audi... student loan isnt that big :p lol (take it as a joke as it was intended, no offence ment)

I get what your saying about loosing confidence, but that wont last long, i threatned to give up motoring a few times haha!

You will NEVER have a car that doesnt risk costing you alot of money, like i say, pay the bill, and just think how solid the turbo will be now!

Dont get blinded by warrenty either, its not the be all and end all when buying a car.

ENJOY DRIVING IT!!!!!! :w00t:

haha matt im not offended by that dont worry. im very fortunste to have a good mum and day who bought me my first car, and i really appreciate thst because i know that there is only a small percentage of people who are 20 years of age whos mum and dad buy them a car, let alone an audi for a 1st one! i am very lucky. and i dont have a student loan either i just get a grant for uni which is non repayable then i pay some towards the fees with my part time job as well as my mum n dad to pay the rest of the fees off so im not in £6000 debt like my mates in the 2nd year! and i live at home too lol.

i honestly do just feel like flogging the car though and ive lost all faith in it although 50% says keep it because of all the new parts it is having but i just dont want anything else to happen.
ive got other stuff to pay for like tax and tyres too!! the joys of driving.

if your worried about the car breaking again you could buy a warranty for about £200 - £300 that covers most of the expensive parts on your car then if anything goes wrong its covered. a mate of mine bought a warranty for their bmw after owning it a year and about a month later the engine management system went the £300 they paid for the warranty was nothing compared to what it would of cost without it.

Without being funny & not trying to bust your balls, but you've been advised by some knowledgable people on this subject, you dont need an S3 intercooler, but you choose to ignore it, plus you start a completely new thread on the same subject as your old one, I see no point in either, if you listened to Awesome about the IC, then I'd be concerned what else you listen to from companies, sorry to be blunt but the advice given was to save you money, but you choose to ignore sound advice & possibly empty your wallet even further.

Stock IC is perfectly adequate for a stock & hybrid turbo, just clean the existing IC if not damaged which I doubt it is, as I & others have & reuse, aswell as inspecting the rubber pipework for any cuts from the metal fragments & if there are no parts in the IC then I'd be checking further up to the manifold, as already advised.

As for aftermarket warranties, well they find every possible way not to pay the claim, so its like burning the money to keep warm IMHO.

Never been happy with old remapped engines. As i have said before if there is a fault you are going to find it with a remap. Audi's are expensive cars to buy and run ! they have a reputation for quality and that extends to the paint and the interior, the rest is mainly off the shelf ignition systems /brakes /shocks etc and i can see no reason why they should be any more reliable than any other car. Don’t make cost = reliability...it doesn’t, ask a Porsche owner :)...or a Ferrari owner come to that lol. Trying to run/repair these cars on a paper round while home from uni is doomed to failure. To take a basic car and try and uprate it on a paper round is mad !!
Learn a lesson from this mate and something will have come from it..
When my old Audi came back from its last £10k refit !! the Service manager said to me, buy new, extend the warranty to five years and sell at 4.5 years. Don’t try and run these things out of your own pocket unless you can do the labour yourself…..You buy a 3-4 year old car from here, chances are your buying someone else’s problems and if they don’t show up in 12 months its going to cost you big time..

Its a generalisation I know but it’s a thought !

As for aftermarket warranties, well they find every possible way not to pay the claim, so its like burning the money to keep warm IMHO.

I had a very different experience with my warranty company - they paid for the DMF & the turbo few months later.
Bought the car from Autoquake and their 3years warranty, which is managed by Car Care Plan.

thats the joys of motoring mate its a fact of life , my old rs turbo blew the turbo just after spending £570 having it rolling road tuned i was gutted but i had a much better car after as i got a hybrid made up and it was so much better to drive with the new turbo fitted , dont give up on your audi they are awesome cars imine has got a few probs but i still love driving it every day keep it audi !!

I had a very different experience with my warranty company - they paid for the DMF & the turbo few months later.
Bought the car from Autoquake and their 3years warranty, which is managed by Car Care Plan.

1 in a million tbh mate, hear almost daily people whinging about aftermarket warranties.

Are you mad 20 years old and given this car and you want to get rid?? All you need is a stock intercooler so save your money and slam it!

You need to check or get the garage to check if any bits from the turbo has entered the cylinders, any bits of metal will have been chewed by the inlet and exhaust valves and also been chewed by the pistons which basically means you might as well throw the engine away if there is any damage in the bores.

As robin says ! Get a compresion drop test done before you spend any money on anything else. By that i mean read the compresion drop over a minute on each pot, not just cranking presure.

Im constantly worried about my turbo going, I get paranoid a lot about various noises that come from the car (rattles etc, to clutch feeling slightly different even when its not etc..) I pretty much hate driving as I always find something to worry about :p

Sorry to hear about your car though, how much is the new turbo and pipework going to be? Mines just hit 100k and thinking about getting a new turbo before it goes and causes more damage :/

No point in worrying mate ,

my last S3 2003 plate was on 137k on the orginal turbo and i had no problems it all depends how the car is looked after . Just get it sorted when it happens . I had a Audi a2 that went at 140k but i have sold them now :)

A guy at work has ran an A3 2.0 TDI well past 200k now without any turbo problems. I know a lot of people on here have had problems post remap, but would be interested to hear how many non-remapped 2.0 tdi's have been trouble free.

No point in worrying mate ,

my last S3 2003 plate was on 137k on the orginal turbo and i had no problems it all depends how the car is looked after . Just get it sorted when it happens . I had a Audi a2 that went at 140k but i have sold them now :)

Ah fair play dude, Hopefully mine will last another year yet then :p (30k a year = :(!)

Deffo not planning on getting a remap with these sort of miles! If I were ever to get an engine rebuild + new turbo then I don't think I will! (Plan on keeping the car for years as its a daily, then getting something brand new once I've brought a house and not doing so many miles, plus when my insurance drops in a year or two :))