Iphone 4 with Ipod connection

newbie170

Reaction score
Hi,

I am taking delivery of my A3 next week (after nearly six months waiting)!, and it has the sound package - including the ipod dock.

Today we have got new iphone4's as company phones. Does anyone know if I can hook this up to the ipod dock directly, or do I need an adapter or something?

Be good if I could get whatever I need for when I get the car, so any suggestions of the best place to get an adapter if I need one would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys!

You can hook up the iPhone to the dock for music etc, but it won't charge it. For charging you will need an adaptor. I got the one listed on the Apple website for £20. Works a treat...

i had an ipod in my last car and got a iphone 3 and it did nt work so i got in touch with a company on ebay who sold ipod connections called connect2 and they sold me an adapter for around £25 it worked fine and charged my phone.

Thanks for the info.

Any chance you can supply a link Scott? Can't seem to find it on the Apple site.

Just got my car :)

Just be careful it isnt flexing on the adapter when in the oem dock as this could do few things, damage the dock, damage the adapter or even damage the dock connector on the iphone, maybe Scott can advise if his is via the ami cable or plugged into the dock itself & it it is floating in the air or sits flat on something to stop movement.

I did wonder about flexing to be honest.

There were a couple of cables in the glove box when I got the car, one USB-->something or other, and the other ipod-->something or other. I was assuming that this was put there in error as I don't have the AMI - just the ipod dock. Am I missing something, can I just use the ipod cable - just not sure where I would plug it in?

I do think I would prefer to have the phone on a cable rather than directly plugged into the dock. So may try and find an extender if I can't use the cable that was in the car.

Do you just have a ipod/iphone style lead in the glove box then? If you do you should be ok. I have the Audi OEM ipod dock which is a small enclosure built into the glove box with an ipod/iphone connector at the back of it. The scosche adapter plugs into this directly and iphone onto the other end of the scosche block. It fits ok and not had any problems to date. Allows the iphone to charge and mine being the older ipod dock allows it to play ipod playlists 1 - 6 on my Symphony head unit when you press CD twice to select it. No track info or id3 tags though, unlike the new AMI system, grrrr. Hence I hardly ever use it other than to charge the phone if it needs a boost.

Just be careful it isnt flexing on the adapter when in the oem dock as this could do few things, damage the dock, damage the adapter or even damage the dock connector on the iphone, maybe Scott can advise if his is via the ami cable or plugged into the dock itself & it it is floating in the air or sits flat on something to stop movement.

I have a touch rather than an iPhone but before I had the adaptor the iPod did disconnect over bumps etc. The car should come with various slide in adaptors to raise the base of the iPod dock in the glove box. When I fitted the adaptor and plugged it in together with the iPod there is no flex because the glovebox supports the unit which was a bonus!

It's not the best thing Audi have ever designed but it gives more music choice whilst on the move :yes: