heated washer jets what they all about

steve184

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what is the idea behind heated washer jets? I think my car 2.0 TDI sport has them fitted but i'm not sure what the point is in them being heated??? It's not like you can use them to thaw a frozen window cos to activate them u have to move ur wipers and if the window is frozen this isnt a good idea is it???

It baffles me a bit this one

I think the idea is when the weather gets really cold and "normal" jets frezze up, ure windows go all that chalky way with road salt,(while driving) you still have water coming out so u can clear ure windows !

steve184, simple. First of all, your wipers won't freeze and die. Before moving, just tap them a bit, so you see them moving. That way you'll ensure they aren't covered in ice (which you can see, but with tapping you can crack that). And they'll work just fine.

Anyway, the idea with heated washers is that it prevents those washers from freezing in the wind, and that way get harmed. When you drive ~60mph in a -5C, it's same as your car would be in -40C weather.

It doesn't matter if the window is frozen or not, when you use the wipers. They just won't do any good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

[ QUOTE ]
steve184 said:
Can anyone tell me what is the idea behind heated washer jets? I think my car 2.0 TDI sport has them fitted but i'm not sure what the point is in them being heated??? It's not like you can use them to thaw a frozen window cos to activate them u have to move ur wipers and if the window is frozen this isnt a good idea is it???

It baffles me a bit this one

[/ QUOTE ]

they automatically come on when the ignition is turned on...not when the wipers are activated.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The heated jets also stop the nossels freezing up... my last car was a Polo, and when trying to use the rear jet on a very cold day, nothing came out. Later on I found the inside of the boot was sodden. Turns out that the pipe burst open when it had no where else to send the fluid, and sent it all in my boot instead... not nice, and it stopped the interior boot light from working. So it is definately worth it.

i had that problem in my old clio instead of the boot it was all over the back floor real nice! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Actually copper head... ignore me, just found your other string with the back shot... 4 exhuasts looks awesome... nobody will mess!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

i know thats the plan quads i have a lot of plans for when i get hold of one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. there are more pics on dahlbacks websit. i dont like the spoiler tho