2.0TDI engine tickover query

steve184

Reaction score
Anybody had this happen with their car - its possible its normal but just want to check. I'll start my car form cold and it willt ickover normally and smoothly at about 850rpm (according to tacho) even at minus temperatures and then i'll drive for a short distance and come to a stop and the tickover will have increased to about 1050 (which is noticeable as it isnt as smooth as it is at 850 strangely enough) Is this normal? Is there some sort of electronics in the car that measures the load coming from battery at any one time and if it exceeds a certain value increases the engine speed slightly to accomodate the extra electrical load. It seems to do this more now its cold and wet, obviously heated seats on, heating on full, window heater, mirror heaters, heated jets, wipers, radio etc but i cant seem to replicate it at any one time simply by turning everything on. I say seems to but i bought this car in the summer when it was still quite mild and warm and i remember about 2 occasions where it did this when i came to a stop at traffic lights or something.

What do you reckon?

Could it be the Climate Control kicking in, that will often change the tick-over.

Not sure whether this helps or not. Mine did this but also it had a lumpy idle (akin to a misfire on a petrol model)when the engine got hot and I stopped at a junction or lights. Took it to a dealer who obtained a CD from Audi and carried out a software upgrade. My service book stamped as well. To me it sounds logical that more fuel would be put in to cope with the higher electrical load that is working the engine harder, hence the slightly higher RPM.

I can understand why it would do this - but my question was if anyone else had this same thing happen on their TDI - I need to validate if this is a fault or not - if its just mine then its a fault as far as im concerned