Good old lumpy idle!

mcconnot

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have an a3 2.0 TDI (2004) BKD.

I still have my rough idle that only occurs while the car is heating up. Final straw so i sent it into Audi yesterday for 3 hours. They checked everything and literally nothing is showing a fault- nothing! So my car is fine but yet idles like cr*p:faint:! They say the only thing left that it could be is an injector. Ive been reading the other threads and it seems like an easy solution (before thinking about changing the injectors) for this could be to raise the idle rpm slighty (by 100 or 200).

So for this i need Vagcom/VCDS or someone with it. I really cant afford to be spending much more money on this anymore so was thinking of trying it myself. Can anyone help me with what i need to buy (ie-software/cable). Is it expensive or is there a cheap e-bay copy?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Thanks.

Tom

NHN on this forum sells the real cable. Also if you find one of his posts you will see at the bottom a link to VCDS owners prepared to help and where they are located.

There may be one near you.

You won't need to up the revs by that much - shouldn't be more than about 50 (900 rpm max).

Injector wiring loom is also a known culprit causing this problem.

Thanks Mike,
I replaced the wiring loom about 3 months ago as i was hoping it was that. Ill look for NHN.

Thanks again.

ive a lumpy idle for as look as i can remember ...timing belt was done and timing set bang on. changed all injectors, injector wiring loom, both fuel pumps, both water temp sensors, fuel temp sensor, clutch and flywheel, turbo, was fine until i had to change the radiator then came back agin. have had inlet manifold of and completely cleaned fitted new egr and inlet flap and flushed cooling system and fitted new thermostate, every think ive done helps but it's still there........getting crank sensor done tomo....

You must have spent more than the car is worth! :)

i have founfd that the main fault to this is lack of fuel at idle as when u put a load on the engine the fueling goes up and idles fine ...i have found a company that can turn the fueling up on tick over for me but going to get ecu checked first..