HELP: Battery for MY 2009 S3 Sportback (8P5)?

kinson

Reaction score
Hello, I am thinking about changing the battery on the 8P5 to Varta Dynamic Silver. However, I found from the Varta website the battery for 8P1 (585 200 080 3162) and the battery for 8PA (577 400 078 3162). Unfortunately the size of the batteries are different and the specifications are different! The one for 8P1 seems to match the S3 spec. (195kW/265PS), whereas the one for 8PA has a different spec. (147kW / 200PS). Guess I should go for the one for 8P1?! thanks so much for the advice in advance.

Go for the battery that fits the size specification i.e. the physical dimensions. That ensures it fits properly.

The main job of the battery is for starting because once it's running the alternator takes over. A 2.0 litre petrol engine doesn't take that much starting effort compared to the diesel so you will be fine.

However, why you should want a new battery on such a young car seems puzzling to me ??

Puzzling me too.... The battery fitted to a S3 from new is more than up to the job and if you have an issue with it take it back to the dealer as it's still in warranty....

I think Audi use Varta batteries anyway as OEM...

Ok the stock batteries are Varta Blue, I upgraded mine to the Varta Silver Dynamic 577 400 078 & this is stocked by audi & tbh a hell of alot cheaper than other varta sellers, I paid about £70 for it where as others were almost double that.

Its a much better battery & is especially better for cars with alot of technology, so far no problems for me.

My car (in HK) comes with Moll Battery and since I heard that stock batteries dies without any sign, and the battery been running for little over 1 yr. thought it would be wise to change before it start to fail on me... I should maybe wait a little while...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR ADVICES!!! MOST APPRECIATED!!! :yum:

I'll give you that one Mike as I did miss that part of your post sorry, but your right, does beg the question on a young car why would you need to, as I did for 2 reasons, 1st I thought old one was on its last legs but turned out to be another issue & 2nd I had increased my tech a fair bit & wanted something better.

Does anyone know good online stores that sell batteries? Because I do not have time for weeks and the weekend everything is closed, at least around here.

I am looking for:

Banner Running Bull 570 01 : 70Ah|760A
Banner Power Bull P80 42 : 80Ah|700A

Varta Silver Dynamic 585 200 080 3162 : 85Ah|800A

Bosch S6 001 : 70Ah|760A
Bosch S5 010 : 85Ah|800A

:crying:

take it back to audi that will be covered by the warranty on such a new car it shouldn't have given in thats for sure are you sure there not a drain on it like a handsfree kit thats on all the time or a light that wont turn off etc..

Varta Silver Dynamic 585 200 080 3162 : 85Ah|800A

This can be ordered at audi anyway, just call them order & pop in for 2 minutes to pick it up or you not on day release yet :p

The Varta online dealer facility is useless as I contacted or tried to contact some dealers & they were either now not dealers or were no longer in business, its so out of date or was, so I tried audi just incase, they were almost 50% cheaper than a Varta dealer I managed to contact.