How big is my tank?

TQS

Reaction score
Just wondering how big the fuel tank is in my 3.2 quattro as I only managed to put 50 litres in it when I had 15 miles or so left in it - surprising really as I thought it held more

Nb I have read the f'in manual but found nowt

I believe it's 55 liters.

Could not find it for toffe in the manual! Was it written in code?!

Is the tank in the 1.6l bigger as is non quattro?

mine's 55 and it's a 2.0T - according to the manual. so was my 1.6, but i ran it completely dry once (had to push it the last 100m - no joke) and managed to completely brim it so you could see fuel at the top of the filler neck and got 63 litres into it.

at the back of most manuals there is a tech section i havent got my manual to hand but im sure it should be there and it should say how big the tank is along with bhp or ps as its known and all the dimesions of the car etc..

I thought Quattros had a 5ltr bigger tank too. I have never ran mine dry but I have filled from when the light is on and I get 52ish litres in it. The quoted capacity in the book is "usable" rather than "actual".

EDIT - Just found my brochure. ALL Quattro models have a 60ltr tank, the rest of the range have 55ltr. :yes:

Last edited:
I have the manual in front of me and still can't find where it's written !!!
My technical data page doesn't mention tank size.

With a 3.2, do folks tend to use 98 Ron or 95 as the manual implies either are fine with a slight loss of power using 95

I think it depends how deep your pockets are as the price of 98 fuel is a fair bit more. I run my 2.0T on 95..:yes:

it really does depend on how deep your pockets are as super unleaded is on average around 123 per litre and im sure that normal is around 115-120 dependent on where you get your fuel from supermarkets are always cheaper tho

Its simple just a get a Shell V -Power loyalty card- 2 points for every litre of V Power and you be rewarded in no time for NOT polluting your high compression turbo ( in a 2.0T anyway) with FILTH! lol

Well mine is this big

olifant_tank1.jpg

i use it for the extra mpg i get , i get about an extra 7 mpg by using v-power / momentum i dont use it for the extra power that is pointless hahaha

I always try to use the higher ron in my 3.2, it does run better!

Scottie, you showing off again! Size really isnt everything lol! haahaaa

I think it depends how deep your pockets are as the price of 98 fuel is a fair bit more. I run my 2.0T on 95..:yes:

pointless matey. i get much better fuel miles in my 2.0T with V-Power or Tesco Momentum, and it actually works out cheaper tank for tank. give it a try

i use it for the extra mpg i get , i get about an extra 7 mpg by using v-power / momentum i dont use it for the extra power that is pointless hahaha

i dunno matey, i noticed an increase in in gear acceleration when i put 99 in my 1.6 MPI. and as you say a massive increase in fuel economy as a result. one time i went on hol and my family ran my car on 95 and when i got back something was "wrong" with my car and i couldn't figure out what it was. took me a day or two to clock on. considering i wasn't aware there was a change in fuel i think there was probably more to it than marketing mind tricks.

when i first got my a3 i used to run it on 95 only then i ran it on bp ultimate now on v-power / momentum and the 99 octane fuel is by far the best i have noticed a small increase in power but nothing to right home about but it does run so much better on idle and when driving normally

when i first got my a3 i used to run it on 95 only then i ran it on bp ultimate now on v-power / momentum and the 99 octane fuel is by far the best i have noticed a small increase in power but nothing to right home about but it does run so much better on idle and when driving normally

haha on the 1.6 any increase is good tho lol. tho you were 15bhp up on me in the first place so perhaps not such a big deal to you!