Key Coding...

Wozski

Reaction score
Been given a price to have a spare key cut £45+vat, how much would it cost to have it coded??
cheers

You mean a completely new key from audi for £45+vat?

The newer style key is actually a hell of alot cheaper than the previous rectangular ones, I got new version for £50 plus vat iirc, my question was in relation to if its from audi or a used ebay jobby as there are hiccups with ebay ones as in they cant be reused, unless by some miraculous micracle they have put a new megamos 48 in & stuck your vin on it & brand before you bought it, which is so remote anyway.

It was a locksmiths to cut a key for £45+vat, he said i would need to have it coded.

**** of, cut the key for £45+vat he's having a giraffe mate, even the dealer will do for next to nothing, takes 2 minutes to cut.

PS. Sorry mate was waiting for my dealer to reply, will ring them 1st thing about your cruise.

NHN -that reply isn't like you !!!

I would like a spare key and have registered an interest but wherever I have gone it's £150 all in with the Audi coding.

All I want is for a key to be able to start the vehicle if I lose the only other one I have. Never mind the remote bit.

Sorry Woski if I've hi-jacked the thread.

Sorry Mike, maybe the new baby has slowed me down more than I thought, but which part isnt like me, if being thick atm, sorry in advance mate :) I blame Isabella

Let me ask my dealer tomorrow what they charge for a key now as it was £50 for me plus vat & it takes very little time to code.

Don't you blame Isabella - that's my granddaughters name as well so blaming that name is out ok ?!!!!!! lol:yes: hope all going well.

Just that you didn't seem to come over in your usual manner - **** off etc !! :sadlike:

I got confused with the cruise bit as well but then that could be a senior moment !:(

The key I want is for a 2006MY sportback and £50 +vat is a steal but I can't seem to get anywhere near.

TTFN:beerchug:

Ah yes I see your point lol, it wasnt directed at the said person mate, I was just in shock that a locksmith would try & blag there way to £45+vat just to cut the blade, that really is the **** take of all, I've had various keys cut, 1 by audi & others by locksmiths & never have they been anywhere near that price, anyone would think its exactly the same as others pretty much.

Yes mate all is well thanks, well for Issy it is anyway, me, well eye infection, lip infection, my back needs osteo badly as needs cracking as such amongst other crap, but these I can deal with, she's important atm, my ailments are insignificant :)

Any update on the key price mr NHN?

I too am interested in getting a spare, but not a £150 a pop :)

NHN
By saying that the price to have it cut for £45+vat is that too much?
Where do you recommend i have it done then?
I just want to be able to access my car as i had my keys locked in before.
No prob about Cruise just drop me a PM when you get chance.
cheers

Tell me about it mike!
Audi quoted me £150 to have a new set done which i think is a bit of a **** take!!
I got plenty of other things to be getting on with in the mean time ( just cleaned my door hinges so will post some pics on the detailing section tmw )

NHN
By saying that the price to have it cut for £45+vat is that too much?
Where do you recommend i have it done then?
I just want to be able to access my car as i had my keys locked in before.
No prob about Cruise just drop me a PM when you get chance.
cheers

Reet me old chinas, it would appear that the price hikes have been absolutely horrendous for keys, I did genuinely get a key for £50 approx, but now these are approx £80+vat just for the key, so with coding it wouldnt be to shy of £150 dealer dependent & also the older keys that were a damn sight more expensive, which you'd think would be the opposite, are now £200 + vat, that to me is un-fxcking-believable tbh.

I will get a key cost with coding from mate at audi & see what comes out at.

Coding keys is usually a 10 minute job tbh, so should only get maximum 30 minute charge by the dealer.

I remember your thread ages ago Nige, where you got the new style key and it was cheaper than the older style one.

£200 ? :lmfao: They have got to be pulling your plonker aint they?

At this rate with the key price rises, it will soon be cheaper to buy a new car rather than a new key for your old car :w00t:

Yeah I'm truly shocked at the price now, new car it is, do you think I could run that excuse by the missus...............................

Yeah I'm truly shocked at the price now, new car it is, do you think I could run that excuse by the missus...............................

Not when she has got baby brains still. Give a few months yet LOL

All you need is VAG-COM and VAG TACHO to code keys i have done it on loads i am selling all the stuff if anyone wants to buy it ?

I will try VW sinclairs by me and see what they come up with...

How does a new key get coded? I only have one key and really want one of the newer style key's if possible but I read somewhere that audi need some kind of number to be able to do it otherwise they can't do it? :confused:

You have to provide the dealer with VIN number and proof of ownership and proof of who you say you are. i.e registration document and passport.

They will then contact Audi in Germany who will produce a key with the 'secret' information only they have on record.

The key is then sent to the dealer who will code the key to the car.

Then they will charge £150 ish (unless we can find cheaper) for the service !

After considerable enquiries I have not been able to find anyone, other than a main dealer, that can do it and that includes approved VAG independant garages.

Ah thank god for that! I thought it was something that comes with new car's and as I brought my car used, it hadn't been passed along (just like the spare key :mad:)

mike - i havent got round to it as of yet - dont worry i will speak to them by the wekend - hopefully they will say something i will want to hear LOL!!

Timpsons will cut the key for you for £10! I have a Seat at the moment but to get the key cut for my flip key cost about that. Exactly the same as the older Audi's!

Sorry ash but they wont - i have been to 3 timpsons and because mine is the newer key they cant do it. They dont have the laser cutters. They MAY be able to cut the older keys but i cant speak for them on that.
Mike - i have just come back from VW and i have been quoted a price in excess of £170!!!

Thanks for getting the info Wozski but I don't think they will be getting my cash !

Only hope left seems to be NHN if he can come up with anything. Either way it's going to be over £100 which, in all honesty seems to be a disproportionately high figure for cutting a blade and inserting a 'widget' with a secret number on it that they have on computer.!

I wonder how much the dealer makes out of it ?

Thanks anyway chum

no problem mike - sorry i couldnt get the magic answer we all crave on this topic!

Sorry ash but they wont - i have been to 3 timpsons and because mine is the newer key they cant do it. They dont have the laser cutters. They MAY be able to cut the older keys but i cant speak for them on that.
Mike - i have just come back from VW and i have been quoted a price in excess of £170!!!

Apologies! I missed the point about the laser cutting! :(