Attempted to fit LED numberplate lights - Not gone well

Minstadave

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could anyone help, tried to fit a set of LED numberplate bulbs, put them in, fired up the car, got a bulb error on the DIS. Switched them around, still getting an error, put the old bulbs back in and I'm still getting the same.

Do I have to clear the error to get them working? Or should it sort itself out if everything is seated properly?

Thanks for any help! :)

Went for the canbus designed bulbs here:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

But even with the old bulbs in it's giving me an error. I'm pretty sure they're seated properly.

Is it the fact that the error needs clearing that's stopping the normal bulbs working, or should that right itself?

I'll go have another fiddle.

Does anyone know if one bulb will light up if the other is poorly seated or are they connected in series?

They are not connected in series - for a 12 volt bulb that would mean they only get 6 volts each.

However, it may be that the ecu switches off power to both of them if one goes but I doubt it.

That other thread describes the same problem and the fix.

They are not connected in series - for a 12 volt bulb that would mean they only get 6 volts each.

However, it may be that the ecu switches off power to both of them if one goes but I doubt it.

That other thread describes the same problem and the fix.

Correct

They work independently to each other.

It's alive, it was exactly the same problem as linked too, had a go at siting the holders without a bulb in and could see the contact catching on the plastic.

Working great now, the LEDs look great!

Thank you all :yahoo:

iirc some one fitted something similar a while ago.

Tbh, they were to bright! looked like headlights on the back. LMFAO

The 3 led festoons are perfect tbh, not hugely brighter than the OEMs but much whiter, will get some pics. Cheap too, just a pain to fit.

Yup straight swap, they have the resistors mounted already on the PCB.

Guys ... on the 2009/2010 (mine is late 2009 build) NONE of the ebay that say ERROR FREE will work. I had to install a "canceller" before the lights into the harness. Racing Dash sent me the part because their lights also don't work with the newer A3's I can ask them for more details if you guys want, but if you contact them they will be happy to assist also. They're extremely helpful.

Do you have a pic of this canceller? Would they sell just the canceller part? Or is it a part of their own LED set?

I wonder if their canceller works with any other LED sets. Where can I buy this canceller?

what size are the front courtsey lights? (Non-map reading lights) I only have the one switch to operate 2 individual lights......

Went for the canbus designed bulbs here:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

But even with the old bulbs in it's giving me an error. I'm pretty sure they're seated properly.

Is it the fact that the error needs clearing that's stopping the normal bulbs working, or should that right itself?

i hope these lamps work ok for ya bud, several of mine have failed already and the supplier is terrible to deal with, now in paypals hands

cal

Yes the racing dash canceller works with any LED bulb. The racing dash license plate lights were WAY too bright, so I replaced them with a set of LEDs and no dash bulb error message for months now.

Here is their website Racing Dash Enterprise Ltd. I spoke with Sherry at manager@rdash.com.tw

Last edited:
Cal did the bulbs produce an error or just faulty bulbs?

Smoothie, i got an error first, which i cleared, however the
Lamps started flickering, ive replaced them for standard
And will never buy again from f1 autoparts or theyre other
Ebay shop called easy driving

Cal

Guys ... on the 2009/2010 (mine is late 2009 build) NONE of the ebay that say ERROR FREE will work. I had to install a "canceller" before the lights into the harness. Racing Dash sent me the part because their lights also don't work with the newer A3's I can ask them for more details if you guys want, but if you contact them they will be happy to assist also. They're extremely helpful.

How does that work then? Surely they still look for current draw and kill supply if there is none. Unless they have made the tolerance of the amps smaller so less room for error when installing resistors to fool it.

I suspect this cancelling box may have resistors in it:)

Do you have any more info on this PBA3?

Smoothie, i got an error first, which i cleared, however the
Lamps started flickering, ive replaced them for standard
And will never buy again from f1 autoparts or theyre other
Ebay shop called easy driving

Cal

Thanks for that mate, i've got the LED's that came as the whole housing, they work perfect but a little bright for my liking! I thought these were the ones to go for with the resistor built in..

Whats everyone else running?