sportback - top tips!

jungle

Reaction score
Just an idea to share some top tips in the style of Viz... I'll start.

Get rid of annoying treble harshness in standard sportback audio set-up by taping over tweeters in rear doors.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah! then make that irritating matt finish dash easier to clean...give it a couple of coats of gloss paint - colour to preference - wipeclean, no probs - fabgear!

Ok...here's one:
The best way to remove the Sportbacks offensive looks, is to sell the thing and buy an earlier and much prettier A3/S3!

Is this the sort of tips you wanted? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

hey, give the sportsback guys and gals a break!

if they want a 'chrome mouthed estate car', let them have it! I personally love the new sportsback, and think it's beyond the point of no return in the styling.

*ahem* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

cheers guys - when someone with a MK3 golf makes fun of your car, you know its time for a drink!

[ QUOTE ]
jungle said:

cheers guys - when someone with a MK3 golf makes fun of your car, you know its time for a drink!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ooh...
You show me a back road, and I'll show you a set of Mk3 Golf back lights...that's if you can stay close enough to keep them in sight...which I doubt!

Quote:

Ess Three said;

Ooh...
You show me a back road, and I'll show you a set of Mk3 Golf back lights...that's if you can stay close enough to keep them in sight...which I doubt!

Excellent post! You are clearly a well balanced individual with fearsome car control gleaned from numerous trackdays and weekends spent at the Nordschleife etc etc. You have also owned a wide variety of cars including S3s and new Audi TDi's and have spurned them in favour of your dream machine, the legendary Golf Mk3.

PS You dont own an E reg Nova as well do you?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Oi!!! leave the mk3 golf alone...

prob the best car most of us have owned.. if you had one..

and why would u associate a nova with a mk3 golf?

im sure the thousands and thousands of dub owners would rip you to shreds for saying that...

ok Richy - you are right of course - and yes I had a Mk2 GTi, Mk3 GTi and Mk4 TDi150 and loved them all.

There are a number of Nova 1.2 owners who believe they can beat any car on earth down a back road. So please accept my apologies all you VW fans, as I wasn't comparing the cars... I was comparing the drivers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jungle said:
Excellent post!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. I thought so too...

[ QUOTE ]

You are clearly a well balanced individual with fearsome car control gleaned from numerous trackdays and weekends spent at the Nordschleife etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, did I hit a nerve?

As it happens, I am a well balanced individual...with the ability to recognise a complete handling slug when I drive one - like the new A3!

As for ther trackdays etc...how did you know?
You must be psychic...I'm impressed.

[ QUOTE ]

You have also owned a wide variety of cars including S3s and new Audi TDi's and have spurned them in favour of your dream machine, the legendary Golf Mk3.

[/ QUOTE ]

As it happens...I have sold my well sorted S3, but kept my Mk3 GTI as it's a better drivers car.
The Mk3 is not my dream car...it just happens to be something that's fun to drive, something you have clearly forgotten about long before you bought a new A3.

As for diesels...they should be in tractors, not cars.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Er no...a 911 Carrera 4S...

Is that in the same league as a Nova? I'm struggling to remember.

[ QUOTE ]
jungle said:
Excellent post! You are clearly a well balanced individual with fearsome car control gleaned from numerous trackdays and weekends spent at the Nordschleife etc etc. You have also owned a wide variety of cars including S3s and new Audi TDi's and have spurned them in favour of your dream machine, the legendary Golf Mk3.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very bold statement from somebody who owns arguably the ugliest and certainly one of the more ill handling cars available today...

I would still fancy my chances in an E reg Nova...

[ QUOTE ]
David R said:

That's a very bold statement from somebody who owns arguably the ugliest and certainly one of the more ill handling cars available today...

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, well made...

So David, do you not think that the new A3 with it's goatee beard front bumper is a shining beacon of handling excellence, especially on 16" wheels and with the nose heavy hindrance of the TDI engine fitted?
No? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I would still fancy my chances in an E reg Nova...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen your driving...my money's on ther Nova!

baar baarr black sheep have you any wool?,

yes sir yes sir 3 bags full,

one for the master

one for the maid

and one for the little boy who lived down the lane...

? question.. whoever made that song was mad!! or either very badly wasted on drugs to be thinking of a sheep talking to its master...?

ess three. I wrongly assumed you were a max power boy who had delusions of grandeur about his car. Clearly this is not the case, so please accept my apologies.
I too am a ringer (best lap 8.52 BTG) and have also done numerous days at donington, cadwell, spa, carole, silverstone, brands gp, croft, ledenon and lydden. Unfortunately I do not have the funds for a track car so use my bike for kicks.
As for the handling of the Audi, I could not agree more. Front wheel drive seems to be the biggest limitation, but I have gone off BMW so will be looking for Quattro next time. Having said that, the car is really nothing more than a motorway muncher (3,700 miles so far in 2 weeks)
If you are off to the ring next year give me a shout and maybe we can meet up. Last one round buys the beer, and no I wont be driving the Audi.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
jungle said:If you are off to the ring next year give me a shout and maybe we can meet up. Last one round buys the beer, and no I wont be driving the Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent challenge, I'm sure Sabine will happily releive the slowest lapper of their money for beer...

However, using bike against car is cheating, as well you should know...

[ QUOTE ]
jungle said:
ess three. I wrongly assumed you were a max power boy who had delusions of grandeur about his car. Clearly this is not the case, so please accept my apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

No problem...I guess I led you into it!

[ QUOTE ]

I too am a ringer (best lap 8.52 BTG) and have also done numerous days at donington, cadwell, spa, carole, silverstone, brands gp, croft, ledenon and lydden. Unfortunately I do not have the funds for a track car so use my bike for kicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done bike trackdays at both Cadwell and Croft...('blade)
And car days at Knockhill and Castle Combe...(various cars)

I can't afford a trackday toy either, so these were on my road bike or in my road car!

[ QUOTE ]

As for the handling of the Audi, I could not agree more. Front wheel drive seems to be the biggest limitation, but I have gone off BMW so will be looking for Quattro next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I find it's the chassis...even with quattro, you have to do so much work to get the car to drive well...
If it's a drivers car you want - and can't be bothered spending thousands and re-engineering everything, best you look elsewhere (not Audi)

[ QUOTE ]

If you are off to the ring next year give me a shout and maybe we can meet up. Last one round buys the beer, and no I wont be driving the Audi.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you currently riding?
It's only fair we ask before taking your beer money from you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
slimbloke said:
group hug, anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

Nothing amazing, just an old dog with money spent where its needed..ZX9RC1 with maxton shock & maxton forks, maxton tie bars (raised ride height), custom yoke with altered offset, Standard engine (Remus pipe, dyno set-up 133 bhp), rennsports front & rear, E1 gearbox to replace marzipan C1 version, race bodywork (original held together with gaffa tape) 45 tooth rear sprocket (only maxes out at approx 155mph now, but gets there quite quickly). May be replaced with Gixer thou with similar maxton treatment by next spring.
And I wouldn't normally say using a bike around the ring against a 911 is cheating as I've been passed by numerous GT3s before. Mind you, since they resurfaced the bumpiest bends last year...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
You can often find a weekend where public days coincide with a weekend session at Spa - its only up the road. Will let you know. And don't worry about the beers... anyone who spends their first weekend at the ring trying to race will almost certainly hurt themselves and someone else...but you will certainly enjoy yourself!