Facelift centre console

Hi

I did the conversion on my 2008 S3 without any problems. No trimming or cutting. straight swap.
Here are some photos, before and after. Even the LED plug from the old drawer went straight in the new one.
In case of the climate unit, looks like I was fortunate enough, as no other mods were necessary.

sounds like they were already using the revision D cage by then.

and that's why your climate was a straight swap too - later model cars can utilise either. my 2006 can't so i have to mod the faceplate to fit.

Could be as my car was one of the latest pre facelift.
Nex mod, instrument cluster.

No they cant be adjusted & yes they're far from audi expected quality, which is why the 2010/11 cars now have a fitted button/trim array, not seperate, so they're now straight, but bad side is you have to buy the whole lot if one goes faulty & they're untold combo's of buttons trust me, so choosing correct one is fun, mines gonna be ordered monday when gone through pr codes for my specfic buttons required.

Still to work out correct part number I see - its a mine field for sure! I'll need to work out what I'll need in the long run, not what I have the now LOL

Still to work out correct part number I see - its a mine field for sure! I'll need to work out what I'll need in the long run, not what I have the now LOL

I'm sure you guys can correct me on this, but i only count 4 different types?

TPMS Magnetic
1. y y
2. y n
3. n y
4. n n

also putting the idea of changing my buttons for MY11 ones in my head is NOT appreciated! i'm gonna be bankrupted by this place lol

S.

Last edited:
wasn't aware there were buttons for all that... and what happened to the card tray?

and wait hold on... if there's 5 buttons and a car's equipped with all the features where the hell do all the buttons go?! there's only 7 spaces, and one's taken up by Hazard, one ESP and one Pass. Airbag Off.

I count 34 LOL

magnetic/tpms/parking sensors/park assist/Stop start ...... etc :)

34, swear I counted more, does that include MY10 & MY11 :p, anyway will do etka tomorrow then find my new one as already ordered new switch packs for windows & mirrors, next are rear lenses & mirrors themselves.

34, swear I counted more, does that include MY10 & MY11 :p, anyway will do etka tomorrow then find my new one as already ordered new switch packs for windows & mirrors, next are rear lenses & mirrors themselves.

Some pics will be nice plz ;-)

Yeah when I get them slim, lol.

As far as i could or more like couldnt see, there isnt a storage tray anymore, but tbh I didnt delve into the PR codes enough cause the special one keeps interrupting me with nappy changes, feeding, etc etc, which tbh is better than staring at a car part catalogue huh.

I'm thinking of losing my card tray (I've never used it in 2 years of ownership) and replacing it with three buttons wired to a homelink transmitter, to open the garage doors, etc.

-So if anyone has any switch cage bits from a RHD car left over, I wonder if I can make them fit in my LHD A3?

-Anyone know?

Cheers,

Keef

never used the cupholder before swapping to double din (its kicking about somewhere!) and have never used the card holder either though i mooted an idea of a stealth radar mod for it.

Today I tried the seat heating for the first time after fitting the new facelift climate unit and unfortunately noticed that heating is not so effective. At max 6 setting it was like 1-2 of the old unit.
Any ideas on how to fix this?
A mate from a German forum confirmed this problem.

is the built in switch like a reostat? Have you measured the resistance for each switch to see if there is any difference?

Guys why is it exactly that the facelift climate unit won't work? I tried mod my unit by putting on the faceplate from a 2009 unit. It was an epic failure.

So I thought I'd try fit the knobs from the facelift unit onto mine. That didn't work either.

Disheartened I put them back together and thought i'd tackle it tomorrow. But childish curiosity got the better of me and i plugged the facelift unit into my car. And it works. Perfectly actually.

As I have no knowledge on the subject I've unplugged it just in case my car's gonna explode or something.

So what's the score? Freak accident, lucky coincidence or is it known that it works it just messes up some vital component and I missed that bit?

Input much appreciated.

It will work on models after a certain year, I thought i read it was 2007 but maybe it is 2006?

The set up for the motors/sensors within the heater box are different.

NHN was adamant that it was late 2007, and he doesn't seem like the type to make statements without doing his homework first

No Khufu, I have not measured anything. How can I do it? Do I have to take the unit apart to reach the switches?
thnx in advance

cheers

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

is the built in switch like a reostat? Have you measured the resistance for each switch to see if there is any difference?

Last edited:
It may seem to work perfectly but trust me it doesnt work with the fan unit properly, I have researched this inside/out, the wiring doesnt exist on the facelift climate to power the second motor on the fan unit behind the glovebox, the facelift systems use a single motor & a cam system for the second flap positioning, thus it may appear to work but when you delve into it deeper it fails miserably, take my word for it as Elsa clearly shows the wiring changes in 07/08 onwards, I also thought it was working properly in mine, as did someone else who Gareth installed for & failed miserably, it will appear to work initially, only cause the flap is probably already in a position you need, but when you change things, then you'll notice the problems.

Now, just a stroke of luck your car was in the middle of any changes audi were in middle of, then you may be the anomoly, as is my car when I did the white clsuter upgrade, the extra wire for the newer pump was already there, but not the newer pump.

Anyway feel free to research it yourself further.

It may seem to work perfectly but trust me it doesnt work with the fan unit properly, I have researched this inside/out, the wiring doesnt exist on the facelift climate to power the second motor on the fan unit behind the glovebox, the facelift systems use a single motor & a cam system for the second flap positioning, thus it may appear to work but when you delve into it deeper it fails miserably, take my word for it as Elsa clearly shows the wiring changes in 07/08 onwards, I also thought it was working properly in mine, as did someone else who Gareth installed for & failed miserably, it will appear to work initially, only cause the flap is probably already in a position you need, but when you change things, then you'll notice the problems.

Now, just a stroke of luck your car was in the middle of any changes audi were in middle of, then you may be the anomoly, as is my car when I did the white clsuter upgrade, the extra wire for the newer pump was already there, but not the newer pump.

that's my point tho - i trust your judgement and don't feel i need to research it properly because your word is good enough. i was surprised it's been working. on the off chance that i am lucky i'm gonna leave it be for the time being. it just looks so much better.

if/when it all goes belly up i'll be back here no doubt trying to find out how i can make the faceplate for the newer unit fit onto the old one because i'm with you on this - there doesn't seem to be a way to get it working properly. lord knows what M88JCP did. he must have made a pact with the devil based on what i've seen.

i swapped mine over from single-din to RNS-E and used facelift switches, just as easy mate....there was no need to hunt out a car with Symphony II.....just had to buy a new climate unit also

IMG_0080.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg
i wants me one of those whats it cost ? is is difficult to do ? also wheres your cup holder?

i wants me one of those whats it cost ? is is difficult to do ? also wheres your cup holder?

there's prices earlier on. i priced it up at around 75 for the facelift buttons new from Audi along with a new cage (which you may not need). you can fit it yourself and it's really straight forward

double DIN don't have cup holders.

obv that above price doesn't include the climate unit or the RNS unit

I'm thinking of losing my card tray (I've never used it in 2 years of ownership) and replacing it with three buttons wired to a homelink transmitter, to open the garage doors, etc.

-So if anyone has any switch cage bits from a RHD car left over, I wonder if I can make them fit in my LHD A3?

-Anyone know?

Cheers,

Keef

only just spotted this. they're completely interchangable if you have an 8P1 or 8P2.

Hi NHN,

Following your post I tried the heater today.
I replaced the stock climate unit with the facelift one in May 2010, when weather was already hot here in Athens and everything worked ok since then.
Or at least I thought that way, till I used the seat heating and the heater. Seat heating works less effectively (at 6, looks like it is at 2-3 compared to the previous unit).
The heater works ok (as far as I can tell) but when I set it to low with ambient temp of 17-18, it looks like 20-21.
Not sure if there is a cure or if the internals of the 2 units can be interchanged, or if I have to go back to the old one.

thnx

aki

Last edited:

As said i listed the parts cost previous page, then you just need the RNSE and a double-din climate/trim your old one

as for the cupholder, why would you want to block your beautiful view of that screen with a big dirty McDonalds drink??lol

Hi NHN,

Following your post I tried the heater today.
I replaced the stock climate unit with the facelift one in May 2010, when weather was already hot here in Athens and everything worked ok since then.
Or at least I thought that way, till I used the seat heating and the heater. Seat heating works less effectively (at 6, looks like it is at 2-3 compared to the previous unit).
The heater works ok (as far as I can tell) but when I set it to low with ambient temp of 17-18, it looks like 20-21.
Not sure if there is a cure or if the internals of the 2 units can be interchanged, or if I have to go back to the old one.

thnx

aki

The internals for mine aren't a straight swap. I'm sure there's a way to get them working but it's beyond my knowledge/skill/courage

Thats a good mod tbh, I do prefer still the whole unit as it has nicer profile buttons, but good work nonetheless.

It does worry me the cut out of the ring if I intepret the german correctly, but at the time I wasnt in the frame of mind to do that tbh & even less now, but may ahve finally found an 09 heater system hoorahhhhh, so dash out lol.

Now Ew, you reckon could swap parts over without removing the gas? :p

On another note, the prefacelift climates that share the same wiring/heater parts from mid 07 to mid 08 may indeed share the same internal fixings of the dials, subject to your own research of course, but worth a try huh as they may have changed these aswell as wiring etc.

NHN i have a single din centre console but am looking to upgrade the cage to double din. i have a double din climate unit i have bought already not the latest facelift one. but i want the facelift buttons ( esp hazard tray etc with the single chrome strip) would it be possible for you to supply me with the part numbers needed for all the parts? PM me please mate. also a price if you would be able to do it for me if possible

I've listed the part numbers you need in a previous post mate along with the prices

i've sent you the part number for the cage in a reply to the PM you've sent me. i've also given you a price for the spare cage i have.