Bose sound and phone-prep.....

FID

Reaction score
Well I've had my new-to-me A3 for almost a week so it must be about time to ask a stupid question (or two) on the forum. Be gentle with me.

The A3 has Bose and the previous owner installed a Pioneer AVIC X1BT head unit (Nav / DVD / iPod). However it seem over-loud (15 is LOUD!) and there is "noise" every time a button is pressed or something changes on the HU. Reading around the 'net, I understand that the problem may be the fact that the HU is amped, which then goes to another amp. This would make sense. I have also seen that there are adaptors / looms to sort this problem.

Has anyone used one of these adaptors and what were the results? Is it easy to tell if I already have an adaptor installed and which one I would need?

Secondly, and I'm sure this has been asked a number of times, the car has the Audi phone mount on the dash (above the glove box and to the side of the centre column). I have absolutely no need for it but discovered that it is covering a large hole for the wires.

Has anyone managed to remove the phone mount and redeem the situation? I do not want a different mount to cover it, nor do I want to pay £800 for a new dash.

Any input will be appreciated.

Take care all,

FID

You need to use one of two different adapters depending on whether your car is pre-2005 or after as there are 2 different types of connector used on the 8P, the older ISO and the newer Quadlock. Even then you really need to check the wiring of the HU as there was a big overlap.

You need to use one of two different adapters depending on whether your car is pre-2005 or after as there are 2 different types of connector used on the 8P, the older ISO and the newer Quadlock. Even then you really need to check the wiring of the HU as there was a big overlap.

I take it the pre/post 2005 does not coincide with the A3 facelift around that time?

I intend to pop the HU out in the near future to fit the recess kit, if I was to take a photo of the wires around the back, would you be able to advise me?

Cheers,

FID

Leave the phone mount where it is, it may be providing bluetooth connectivity...!
The good news is that you don't need an extra mount or anything, although it's a little ugly, you'll soon get used to it :)

Leave the phone mount where it is, it may be providing bluetooth connectivity...!
The good news is that you don't need an extra mount or anything, although it's a little ugly, you'll soon get used to it :)

Unfortunately I do not need any BT connection and if I did I would probably go straight to the Pioneer HU, so the mount is boardering pointless.

I have managed to locate my Pioneer adaptor to run 3 RCAs out of the back of the AVIC X1BT. To overcome the amping of an already amped signal (Pioneer and Bose) is it as simple as purchasing an adaptor to connect these 3 RCAs back to the current loom? Any suggestions of what and where to buy the adaptor?

I have also noticed that there is an option to use a hi-low(???) convertor to plug directly in the current wiring. Is this better or worse than the HU to 3 RCA to 3 RCA to original wiring to Bose amp? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, does anyone know a good source for Pioneer HU release keys? I don't appear to have any.

Cheers,

FID