Black Edition waiting list and colour

MattyW19

Reaction score
Hi,

Was looking at ordering a Audi A3 2.0TDI (140) Black Edition this weekend for March (Late). Just wondering, how long is the waiting list for for the black edition?

Also, I can't make my mind up on what colour to get - Black or white?!

Thanks

Hi,

Was looking at ordering a Audi A3 2.0TDI (140) Black Edition this weekend for March (Late). Just wondering, how long is the waiting list for for the black edition?

Also, I can't make my mind up on what colour to get - Black or white?!

Thanks

Good choice of car for a start. Delivery times seem to vary. But I guess from now on should be more standard. I think you should have it by March if you order soon. It is quite a long wait. I ordered mine in March this year, and it is being delivered on 1st October.

As for colours, why just black or white? What about red or silver? However, if you are set on either black or white, I would go for black. White seems to be everywhere.

Thanks for the reply. Well, my brother has a Audi A3 1.6 Sport in white - It looks good when it's clean! I've considered all colours, but I like white and black the most - but they all look nice!!

Thanks for the reply. Well, my brother has a Audi A3 1.6 Sport in white - It looks good when it's clean! I've considered all colours, but I like white and black the most - but they all look nice!!

No problem. If your brother has a white one, would that not make black a better option? I'll be sure to get some pictures of my red one up as soon as I get the chance. I've seen so few red BEs on here, especially 3 doors. Seriously can't wait to get it!

I have a White one on order with the open sky roof so the White with black roof will be a good mix

I saw a red BE SB today at Tesco Telford on a 60 plate, was looking super shiny so I think it was Misano rather than brilliant.

Made me laugh as i caught the owner having a good old perusal at my old thing, made him jump when i blipped it open!

personally i wouldn't advise getting an A3 - not because it's not a good car. i wouldn't be on my 2nd 8P in a row if it was.

here's my thinking:

you're gonna be told that it'll arrive in March but it'll probably be late. even if it comes in April there's a VERY good chance a new model A3 will be released in early 2012. sooo you'll only have your car for 8 months before it's the old shape. i may be speculating but i'd put a lot of money on it.

personally i'd wait a bit longer.

oh, and white looks crap. i don't at all understand the fascination

You have to remember that when they launch the new model that all versions will not be released at the same time, and any special editions will come later (late 2012 or even 2013).

That's irrelevant. You'll lose a few grand on your brand new car the minute the public gets a whiff of a new model. For the sake of a few months I don't think it's worth it

personally i wouldn't advise getting an A3 - not because it's not a good car. i wouldn't be on my 2nd 8P in a row if it was.

here's my thinking:

you're gonna be told that it'll arrive in March but it'll probably be late. even if it comes in April there's a VERY good chance a new model A3 will be released in early 2012. sooo you'll only have your car for 8 months before it's the old shape. i may be speculating but i'd put a lot of money on it.

personally i'd wait a bit longer.

I think White doesn't look 'crap' at all, it looks a sporty young colour which goes well with the black edition. I knew about a new A3 was planned, but I have heard on this forum that there has been a lot of demand for the Black Edition, and audi may hang fire before releasing a new model...

White looks crap? Audi probably sell more white ones than any other colour! True, I may be biased, but its popular for a reason!

Muppet.

Whoa! Thats a sweeping statement! Each to their own and all that...I've ordered a white one because I like it. I'd love Sprint blue but can't justify the cost....

Well I have ordered a white one. ( I know I live in essex ) , mainly because most of the other colours were to be honest a bit boring. The best colours IMO are Black (pain in the butt to keep clean) , Red , or white. Most of the metalics as I say I think are boring. The colours on offer look good on big exec cars , but I think the A3 should be a bit more fun....

As to the new model , yes thought of that mysekf , but as I am going for the sportback expect it will be 2013 before they really hit the roads in any numbers , and pushed a decent discount which brought the price much lower than a Golf... Depends as well how long you intend to keep it. I will be min 5 years and maybe 7/8 years so the depreciation will not be such an issue... My main issue is the long wait .....

White looks crap? Audi probably sell more white ones than any other colour! True, I may be biased, but its popular for a reason!

Muppet.

you'll have to forgive me if I have no time for ppl who pick the colour of their car because OTHER PPL did the same thing. If you like it, fine. I don't. Get over it.

But if you bought it based on what other ppl think, which you clearly did considering your outburst then I would contest that you are the muppet.

you'll have to forgive me if I have no time for ppl who pick the colour of their car because OTHER PPL did the same thing. If you like it, fine. I don't. Get over it.

But if you bought it based on what other ppl think, which you clearly did considering your outburst then I would contest that you are the muppet.

Haha! Where in my post did I suggest that Id chosen the colour of my car because of what people think? I didnt, so you're wrong on that front aswell.

My choices were Black or White as well!

I think that a White car in BE form looks ace, however if I had of gone for a non BE S3 I think I would have ended up getting Black because the chrome & black goes really well.

Well I have ordered a white one. ( I know I live in essex ) , mainly because most of the other colours were to be honest a bit boring. The best colours IMO are Black (pain in the butt to keep clean) , Red , or white. Most of the metalics as I say I think are boring. The colours on offer look good on big exec cars , but I think the A3 should be a bit more fun....

As to the new model , yes thought of that mysekf , but as I am going for the sportback expect it will be 2013 before they really hit the roads in any numbers , and pushed a decent discount which brought the price much lower than a Golf... Depends as well how long you intend to keep it. I will be min 5 years and maybe 7/8 years so the depreciation will not be such an issue... My main issue is the long wait .....

I was planning on keeping it for a couple of years, and then change it for a slightly quicker one, or maybe the new model. I like the white aswell - BRILLIANT CHOICE OF COLOUR - As for the others who have these amazing white Cars. I did consider the black, but it shows the dust up and the dirt very easily - would be a pain to keep it polished. What also put me off black was that I would find it dull and 'too' black especially being a black edition - granted the LED DRL would look mint!

As for sub39h - You seem to be abit of a 'muppet' as A3 Sport has mentioned. How can you come to such conclusion that white is a boring colour?

'you'll have to forgive me if I have no time for ppl who pick the colour of their car because OTHER PPL did the same thing.' - This didn't happen, and if it did - doesn't this tell you something? Were all not wrong for ordering/having white a3's - Maybe your just the stubbern odd one?!

Thanks to all your other useful posts (except sub39h) :yum:

Haha! Where in my post did I suggest that Id chosen the colour of my car because of what people think? I didnt, so you're wrong on that front aswell.

an opinion can never be wrong, and i'd put my mortgage on Audi selling more black and silver cars than white ones, in which case your original statement would be incorrect. i don't like white, and your childish posting hasn't changed my opinion. also you seem to be saying that "i'm right because i think that most ppl think the way i do" which is basically the same as "i'm doing it because i think it'll make me more popular."

i don't care either way mate, if you're happy then i am. come back to me when you can have an adult conversation without pointless name calling.

Last edited:
Thanks to all your other useful posts (except sub39h) :yum:

i am trying to help. hence my first post. another commentator attacks me for a valid opinion and somehow i'm the bad guy? each to their own and all that, but you said you were thinking of black or white and i offered my suggestion. i also think that when it's no longer trendy you'll lose a lot of money when it comes to selling it on. A3 Sport is totally entitled to disagree ith it and i applaud him for voicing a disagreement, just not his childish manner in doing so.

i picked black because i like it - stubborn or otherwise.

Last edited:
Phantom Black every time. BE Quattro Tdi 170 (Twin Exhausts) Open Sky, Tec and Comfort on order due week 7 2011 (ordered July!!!!) This will be our (well my wifes) 4th 8P!!! New A3 delayed until 2012 and unlikely to get full range then!

I hate white BTW reminds me of the 1980's when every other car was white!

Phantom Black every time. BE Quattro Tdi 170 (Twin Exhausts) Open Sky, Tec and Comfort on order due week 7 2011 (ordered July!!!!) This will be our (well my wifes) 4th 8P!!! New A3 delayed until 2012 and unlikely to get full range then!

I hate white BTW reminds me of the 1980's when every other car was white!

wouldn't say Phantom EVERY time... money no object it's all about Sepang lol

an opinion can never be wrong, and i'd put my mortgage on Audi selling more black and silver cars than white ones, in which case your original statement would be incorrect. i don't like white, and your childish posting hasn't changed my opinion. also you seem to be saying that "i'm right because i think that most ppl think the way i do" which is basically the same as "i'm doing it because i think it'll make me more popular."

i don't care either way mate, if you're happy then i am. come back to me when you can have an adult conversation without pointless name calling.

Well, that's not what Ive heard. And as for a car making me more popular - thats not the way I think. Come back to you when I can have an adult conversation? I dont think so. You're the one who has trouble voicing his opinion - 'White is crap'. Fair enough, the fact you dont like the colour of my car doesnt bother me the slightest, the way you worded it makes you look childish. It would have been more appropriate to say that you're not a fan of white cars, but that this is only your mere opinion. Who did the pointless name calling? I voiced my opinion.

White cars are popular due to the rise in coolness of 80's things whether it be music, fashion, computer games, its all old enough to be called "retro" and is therefore cool!

For instance I have just bought an 80's mechanical flip over clock, dont know why its just different!

RS Turbos are fetching big money, Astra GTE's in white are sought after, so is the mk2 Golf. The fashion will go away in a few years and white cars will be really common and unloved. I think most manufacturers dropped white in the late 90's when silver became the normal colour of the millenium so it seemed good to see them back!

Well, that's not what Ive heard. And as for a car making me more popular - thats not the way I think. Come back to you when I can have an adult conversation? I dont think so. You're the one who has trouble voicing his opinion - 'White is crap'. Fair enough, the fact you dont like the colour of my car doesnt bother me the slightest, the way you worded it makes you look childish. It would have been more appropriate to say that you're not a fan of white cars, but that this is only your mere opinion. Who did the pointless name calling? I voiced my opinion.

Dear Mr A3 Sport

RE: Ibis White

I am writing to you in regards the colour choice for your car. Whilst I am most satisfied that you are happy with your colour choice, I would like to express disagreement with your opinion. I feel that Ibis is not to my taste, and that the current trend towards white cars will be short lived.

Sincerely...

happy? let's leave it at that shall we?

PS my opinion was not expressed as a personal slight. you calling me a "muppet" clearly was. think about that.

Last edited:
Dear Mr A3 Sport

RE: Ibis White

I am writing to you in regards the colour choice for your car. Whilst I am most satisfied that you are happy with your colour choice, I would like to express disagreement with your opinion. I feel that Ibis is not to my taste, and that the current trend towards white cars will be short lived.

Sincerely...

happy? let's leave it at that shall we?

PS my opinion was not expressed as a personal slight. you calling me a "muppet" clearly was. think about that.

Dear Sir / madam,
I understand that you may have some gripes about cars in the colour white. The fact that you are clearly happy with your Black A3 is fair enough, but I feel that just because you aren't keen on cars in a different colour to yours, you have no grounds to base your view that white is 'crap'. White may not be your colour of choice and that has nothing to do with me, but put simply, this does not mean that white is 'crap', it just means that you wouldn't choose it, there is a difference.

Yours faithfully,
A3 Sport

Ps. Thought about it and its a useless statement. Opinion - a personal view, attitude, or appraisal. So whether personal or not, its an opinion.

All colours except red are crap. :)

I think there has been enough of my colour is better than yours for one thread. 'Crap' is opinion. Responding by calling them a muppet seems like offence has been taken at said opinion.

That's my two pence worth.

I think there has been enough of my colour is better than yours for one thread. 'Crap' is opinion. Responding by calling them a muppet seems like offence has been taken at said opinion.

i'm not saying i disagree, but considering i wasn't adressing A3 Sport in the first place i think being insulted was unnecessary. clearly he cared more than he's willing to admit. i'm just annoyed i'm not allowed to be at all light hearted about the way i express my opinion when someone asks about a colour choice, and have to give a balanced two sided argument written in long prose.

but whatever. i'll agree that i'm bored of this too now so we'll have to agree to disagree.

i'm not saying i disagree, but considering i wasn't adressing A3 Sport in the first place i think being insulted was unnecessary. clearly he cared more than he's willing to admit. i'm just annoyed i'm not allowed to be at all light hearted about the way i express my opinion when someone asks about a colour choice, and have to give a balanced two sided argument written in long prose.

but whatever. i'll agree that i'm bored of this too now so we'll have to agree to disagree.

How do you work out that A3 Sport cares more than he apparently is willing to admit? Your the one who keeps dragging this out, trying to have the last word - hence your reply. A3 Sport was clearly addressing that your OPINION was worded incorrectly - you should of said 'personally I don't prefer .. because ..' - You made out as if it was a fact.. Im not being biased or anything, but I do think your tone is being quite argumentative and childish.

I was asking for an opinion on colour - what people's opinions were - not 'white is crap'.

Well done.. you've ruined a thread that me and many other users would of found helpful. I appeciate everyone elses responses and I will choose a white one - Will send you some pics A3 Sport :yum:

How do you work out that A3 Sport cares more than he apparently is willing to admit? Your the one who keeps dragging this out, trying to have the last word - hence your reply. A3 Sport was clearly addressing that your OPINION was worded incorrectly - you should of said 'personally I don't prefer .. because ..' - You made out as if it was a fact.. Im not being biased or anything, but I do think your tone is being quite argumentative and childish.

I was asking for an opinion on colour - what people's opinions were - not 'white is crap'.

Well done.. you've ruined a thread that me and many other users would of found helpful. I appeciate everyone elses responses and I will choose a white one - Will send you some pics A3 Sport :yum:

yeah i am trying to have the last word. an apology would have been forthcoming if a knee-jerk insult wasn't the response. i defend myself if i'm insulted, and i'd hope you'd do the same. as i stated i wasn't addressing him in the first place.

if you feel that i have ruined your thread then i DO owe you an apology as that clearly wasn't my intention, and i was trying to be helpful in the initial instance. i'm glad you've come to a decision whatever that might be and however that came about, and i hope you're happy with your new car.

Last edited:
yeah i am trying to have the last word. an apology would have been forthcoming if a knee-jerk insult wasn't the response. as i stated i wasn't addressing him in the first place, and i was trying to be helpful in the initial instance.

if you feel that i have ruined your thread then i DO owe you an apology as that clearly wasn't my intention. i'm glad you've come to a decision whatever that might be and however that came about, and i hope you're happy with your new car.

Doesn't that sound pathetic - 'im trying to have the last word'. You said to A3 Sport that he was being childish, surely with that statement, you wouldn't know the definition. I honestly don't think an apology is needed in my way, as I just wanted opinions - not someone to choose my colour. However A3 was only trying to make you understand that you can't go round saying that people's pride and joys are crap because of the colour. Surely you would be annoyed if A3 Sport said at the start of the thread don't get black it's crap? Im backing A3 up because I can full understand where he is coming from, not the fact that he has a white car.

Nah, Im not bothered about who likes my car, who doesn't, who likes the colour, who doesn't... If I was so bothered about what people thought of my car, then why havent I posted any pics of it up? Simple really, I dont need anyones approval. I just dont like the way you put your opinion across as though it was fact, and an opinion can never be a fact.

Anyway... :gaehn:

Audi now do a 'Crap' Colour... Have you seen the new Teak Brown.... YUK YUK YUK... even worse that Bird Crap 'Ibis' ;-) IMHO... but each to their own. :yum:

Wow , pages about two tail pipes or one and now all out war about colours . This is an exciting forum...

I joined the forum to get a feel if it was a good idea to buy an Audi. This is my first Audi , and I must admit the long wait is making me begin to regret it. My car before was a boring Honda. It was boring in that for the last 72000 miles and 7.5 years it has always worked (BTW it was silver) , I would have got another one , but the missus said lets get something smaller and with a bit more style.. Hence the A3.

As to colours I have had four white cars and have always been happy with them. They never look really dirty and do not seem to show small marks or dents. I have had two black cars. They always looked stunning when clean , but show every mark and can after a few years start to look tatty. Silver has been a good colour and not showing marks...oh my god I'm talking about colours now ...what has this forum done to me.
Best I get back to my music forum and talk about guitars (lots of talk about colours on that one too , but in a more admiring way)

Black & White are not colours anyway are they? :laugh:

I have now had both 'colours' and Black is harder to keep clean, weird really as I would have thought White would be! Both do look very nice but as stated before if in BE form, White IMO looks better.

Go and have a look at both in the flesh mate and see but whichever of these you choose you won't be disappointed.

Great forum..... where we can exchange all our personal preferences about twin exhaust pipes... colours and more... keep it up!!

as from the begigning of the thread some one was wondering the wait for a black edition 140 a3 well if mine is anything to go by then i ordered it on august the 6th and have a estimted delivery date of begining of may!!!! thats 9 months wait. and i sold my car in december. but all is not lost as there promise is to keep you on the road so they have given me a audi A5 to run a round in for free from jan till i get mine. cant grumble at that as it is brillian!!!