Monster MotorsportAH Fabrications
    Full speed ahead

Status

RNS-e DVD reading problem

Half way through a trip my RNS-e suddenly decided to declare my nav DVD 'unreadable' (at this point I should declare that it's a copy that came with the ebay'd unit). Thinking it might be the disc I ordered a 2010 replacement (from JohnS3) and normal service resumed.

Today the RNS-e declared the disc 'unreadable' again - about an hour into a trip. When I took the disc out it was pretty hot. Numerous attempts to get the RNS-e to read it failed, with the same error every time. When I got back in the car several hours later it worked fine. Then, sure enough, a hour or so into the trip home...disc 'unreadable' and the nav gives up. CDs however still play perfectly and always have done. And every other aspect of the unit works fine.

Help!
    Daytona RS4 Avant :: black optics

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    copy discs seem to do this i have found, original ones are fine for me.

I had a copy disc when i bought it but since using original it has been fine, but the only thing i can think of is the laser unit is packing up and you can get a new optical drive on ebay am sure i have seen...
    Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sport, Hybrid Turbo, Sat Nav RNS-E, Bluetooth, Bose, Parking Sensors, Custom Bluefin Map, Black Diamond Drilled and Groved Front Discs, Black Diamond Preditor Pads (All Round), Roof Spoiler, Cruise Control.

Full speed ahead

Status
    If it is the optical unit it's weird how it's only affecting the DVD side, and it only packs up when hot...yet the CD player is fine.

Fingers crossed it's an easy/cheap fix.

3rd Gear

Status
    I really believe its the disc mate. Copies are much harder to read for the laser. You could buy a lens cleaning disc and if this doesnt work then you might have to change the laser in your machine.

You could try to use a OEM disc for a couple of days to see if it works ok and either buy an original or get a better copy.

I`ve been using copies for 2 years now and never had a problem , let me know if you need one
    FOR SALE:

RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

4th Gear

Status
    the dvd reader subunits are well known to fail as well on the rns-e - its about 250 or so to get it replaced
    TT-RS 410hp revo
    Fiat 500 1.3 tdi 120hp
    A3 8P 2.0tdi 240hp Autograph Cars
    RS4 B5 520hp MTM
    S3 8L 345hp MTM
    Volvo 850 T5 300hp BSR
    Fiat Punto GT 130hp
    Lancia Delta Turbo 185hp
    Lancia Beta Coupe 122hp
    Mini 74hp

Full speed ahead

Status
    250 - ouch!

For now I'm trialling the OEM 2006 nav DVD in the hope that two years of using a copy DVD hasn't shagged the optics.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by maars View Post
    If it is the optical unit it's weird how it's only affecting the DVD side...yet the CD player is fine.
    Not really.

CDs use MUCH larger pits and lands, since they were originally designed to be read with longer-wavelength lasers.

Any time the optics on any DVD/CD player go marginal, a CD will still work just fine.

For this exact reason, I don't want to use a recordable disc in mine... even though the originals are RIGHTEOUSLY expensive, new lasers are even more costly!