Chris NottSky Insurance

Thread: losing coolent

events moderator

Status

losing coolent

hi all for a few weeks my car has been losing a bit of coolent and just wondering if there is anything common i should look for like rad or waterpump leaking its using about half the expansion tank every 500 - 600 miles now i know that is alot of water oh i have got a 1.6fsi engine does this engine suffer with the same problems as the 2.0tdi for the heads being shot or could it be something simple as there's no sign of any water leaking ie no water on my drive etc.. help please
    off the road boohoo anyone got a gearbox for me lol!!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    I would jack it up and turn the engine on and then have a good look at the hoses, rad and any joints. I could see on mine before it was near the bottom of the rad but could not exactly see the source of the leak.

Took it to my mechanic and it turned out to be the rad, cost 180 fitted, which is a good price as you have to whip the bumper and headlights off to get access.
    Audi A3 54 plate 2.0 FSI Sport
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

events moderator

Status
    i hope its something simple like the rad well cant it simple by removing the front end can you but i would prefer that to a new head lol

Mellow Yellow

Status
    Mines was 2 problems on the 2.0 fsi, coolant temp sensor and a cracked radiator in the passenger side corner(I was told the radiator was a pretty common occurrence), Radweld and a new sensor sorted it.

events moderator

Status
    cheers for the info mick i'll get it up on the ramp in work sometime this week and have a poke around to see if i can see anything under the rad