Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881

    Can you retrofit an AUX input / USB input to Concert stereo?

    As per the title

    I've looked through the forum but I can't find an answer

    Got the Concert stereo in my sportback which plays MP3's from a disc but having had an aftermarket stereo in my last car which had a USB input I know I'm going to miss it quite badly lol

    I get the feeling it might be a no but would like to know for sure

    Thanking you
    Rhys
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Wozski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    480
    Dension gateway 300
    RRP Ł160ish
    I was lucky and got one brand new off ebay for Ł110

  4. #3
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozski View Post
    Dension gateway 300
    RRP Ł160ish
    I was lucky and got one brand new off ebay for Ł110
    Thanks for that - just reading up on it now
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  5. #4
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    One more question - does it have to be Audi specific or will this one work for example

    Dension Gateway 300 iPod/USB kit Volkswagen/VW/Skoda on eBay (end time 13-Oct-10 14:11:11 BST)

    Cheers
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  6. #5
    330_2_S3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    242
    I have the Audi ipod dock (sh1t) on my audi symphony....

    Would I be able to rip this out and connect the Dension one?
    MY 07 IMOLA S3 FOR SALE............
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...98ba?logcode=p

  7. #6
    Wozski's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    480
    Not compatible
    Mine for example was a symphonyII - I bought GW33AC2 model
    look here to check what is required for your car
    http://www.primeprestige.com/oemretr...lity-Table.pdf
    hope this helps

  8. #7
    330_2_S3's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    LONDON
    Posts
    242
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozski View Post
    Not compatible
    Mine for example was a symphonyII - I bought GW33AC2 model
    look here to check what is required for your car
    http://www.primeprestige.com/oemretr...lity-Table.pdf
    hope this helps
    Cheers dude will do
    MY 07 IMOLA S3 FOR SALE............
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...98ba?logcode=p

  9. #8
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Install an rns-e guys & then use SD cards, job done as these kits are just delaying the inevitable.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  10. #9
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Install an rns-e guys & then use SD cards, job done as these kits are just delaying the inevitable.
    I've just spunked 15K on the car so another few hundred on a sat nav system won't be happening any time soon! That and I've got my trusty 2010 AA road map; not been lost yet
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  11. #10
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    It was acually in reference to get round the **** audi ipod solution on older setups mate, I use sd cards all the time, uses a shed load less space than cd's, no need for cables, rest that comes with the unit was a bonus, for me a bloody good one too lol
    Last edited by NHN; 20th September 2010 at 01:07.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  12. #11
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by Wozski View Post
    Not compatible
    Mine for example was a symphonyII - I bought GW33AC2 model
    look here to check what is required for your car
    http://www.primeprestige.com/oemretr...lity-Table.pdf
    hope this helps
    How do you find the kit? Easy to use?


    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    It was acually in reference to get round the **** audi ipod solution on older setups mate, I use sd cards all the time, uses less apce than cd's, no need for cables, rest that comes with the unit was a bonus, for me a bloody good one too lol
    Would this Dension suit me better then as I don't have a crappy iPod lol just a USB memory stick lol
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  13. #12
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    Would this Dension suit me better then as I don't have a crappy iPod lol just a USB memory stick lol
    Can I be honest fella, I had dension, what annoyed me were cables etc, I preferred a nice neat solution, which is why I suggested the rns-e, even with teh cost of this it just completes the setup in the car very very nicely, seriously consider spending the dough on this than dension as rns gives you more anyway overall & looks dapper to.

    PM if need an installer btw.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  14. #13
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Can I be honest fella, I had dension, what annoyed me were cables etc, I preferred a nice neat solution, which is why I suggested the rns-e, even with teh cost of this it just completes the setup in the car very very nicely, seriously consider spending the dough on this than dension as rns gives you more anyway overall & looks dapper to.

    PM if need an installer btw.
    Thanks for your honesty

    I'm fairly handy when it comes to putting stuff in but I may well need some pointers as from the research I've done I've not found a definitive list of what's required to upgrade from a Concert Stereo
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  15. #14
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhyso View Post
    I've not found a definitive list of what's required to upgrade from a Concert Stereo
    depends on how old your car is. if you've got the original single DIN concert II then it's gonna be a bit of a biatch. if you're changing from a double DIN concert II+ then it's a little more straight forward, tho you may get an issue with radio reception.


    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    PM if need an installer
    i don't need an installer but i've been looking for ages for an RNS-E 2010 unit that costs less than Ł800. don't suppose you can shed any light nigel?
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  16. #15
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
    Posts
    881
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    depends on how old your car is. if you've got the original single DIN concert II then it's gonna be a bit of a biatch. if you're changing from a double DIN concert II+ then it's a little more straight forward, tho you may get an issue with radio reception.
    57 plate so it has a Concert II double din single slot CD player. From what I've found I'd need a different connector for the RNS-E and possibly a different aerial adaptor
    Now a happy owner of an A3 Sportback S Line 170 TDI
    My Posh Golf

  17. #16
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    don't suppose you can shed any light nigel?
    Nope, I sell for more.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  18. #17
    Be Gentle

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Posts
    116
    Gonna have to wait for one to fall off the back of a truck me thinks sub =)

    If you can afford it, just get the older model until the new one comes down in price (or you find a great deal on one). Then just snatch up the new unit as soon as you see it and sell the original one. As long as you don't scratch it up you won't have a problem selling it for what you paid - especially if it means the person buying doesn't have to wait for it to be shipped from Latvia!

    Be warned, this is the methodology of someone that does not do patient price hunting
    But yeah that was my train of thought anyway.

    I've assumed you don't have an RNS head unit already. If you do, ignore everything I just said with a smile

  19. #18
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    nope no RNS-E. not interested in stolen goods and will avoid if i can help it, even if it means paying more. i'm not patient either, but at Ł800 for RNS-E, more for all the wires, antenna and DVD and then more money for AMI we're looking at over Ł1k even if i fit it myself - and then i'll need VCDS as well.

    i'm in two minds entirely about it - my 1.6 had Symphony and BOSE and so does the 2.0T. i lived without RNS for over 5 years, so surely i can get on well without it now... but the thought of being able to plug my iPhone into my car and play songs (with artist names and using my MFSW) is very very appealing

    hmm i guess i'll just have to wait
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  20. #19
    Be Gentle

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Posts
    116
    Haha I was joking about getting one of the back of a truck. Don't be silly, that's what an Audi factory tour is for :D (again, joking of course. sort of.)

    But if you check out eBay there are a ton available from various sellers in Latvia, most up at Ł450-Ł550. If you make offers, these people do accept, so you'll get one for Ł400 if you haggle.

    Unfortunately I can't speak for the install on an 06... I'm still a newbie and my car is 2009 so it was just a case of unplugging the concert and plugging in the new unit. But yeah, head unit/antenna/2010 DVD for Ł400 - just be persistent and try and grab a listing that's about to end And remember if you get it for Ł400 you should (can't make promises) have no problem shifting it for at least that in as much as a year's time. The way I see it they've been going for that price for over 2 years now anyway

    EDIT: Wait wait wait... my car came with the iPod connector from Audi and it didn't show track names from my iPhone or my girlfriend's iPod nano on either the concert or RNS head unit I don't know if it's possible, is it? Only track names I've ever seen are from CDs (in both HUs) or MP3s via SD (on the RNS). Tried iPhone 3G/3GS/4 and the older more square Nano (don't know which gen that was). Haven't tried the first iPhone, but unless I'm missing something I don't know if you'll get the feature you're looking for
    Last edited by iwBen; 20th September 2010 at 11:35.

  21. #20
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Mine are new, not stolen as the mk2 works without a pin for the 1st car its plugged into, hence why mine dont need the pin.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  22. #21
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Mine are new, not stolen as the mk2 works without a pin for the 1st car its plugged into, hence why mine dont need the pin.
    yeah but there's a hungarian seller with a brand new one on eBay for Ł799, but no accessories. i.e. no antenna, no DVD etc

    Quote Originally Posted by iwBen View Post
    Haha I was joking about getting one of the back of a truck. Don't be silly, that's what an Audi factory tour is for :D (again, joking of course. sort of.)

    But if you check out eBay there are a ton available from various sellers in Latvia, most up at Ł450-Ł550. If you make offers, these people do accept, so you'll get one for Ł400 if you haggle.

    Unfortunately I can't speak for the install on an 06... I'm still a newbie and my car is 2009 so it was just a case of unplugging the concert and plugging in the new unit. But yeah, head unit/antenna/2010 DVD for Ł400 - just be persistent and try and grab a listing that's about to end And remember if you get it for Ł400 you should (can't make promises) have no problem shifting it for at least that in as much as a year's time. The way I see it they've been going for that price for over 2 years now anyway

    EDIT: Wait wait wait... my car came with the iPod connector from Audi and it didn't show track names from my iPhone or my girlfriend's iPod nano on either the concert or RNS head unit I don't know if it's possible, is it? Only track names I've ever seen are from CDs (in both HUs) or MP3s via SD (on the RNS). Tried iPhone 3G/3GS/4 and the older more square Nano (don't know which gen that was). Haven't tried the first iPhone, but unless I'm missing something I don't know if you'll get the feature you're looking for
    RNS 2010 shows track names
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  23. #22
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,114
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    yeah but there's a hungarian seller with a brand new one on eBay for Ł799, but no accessories. i.e. no antenna, no DVD etc
    Dont see any relevance to my post atall with that comment.

    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    RNS 2010 shows track names
    Yes with AMI if we're referring to the ipod use, which is another Ł200+

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  24. #23
    Be Gentle

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    yeah but there's a hungarian seller with a brand new one on eBay for Ł799, but no accessories. i.e. no antenna, no DVD etc

    RNS 2010 shows track names
    Ah. Ok. Thanks for clearing that up =) Well, have you checked to see if he sells the other parts? If he does, try and strike a deal man - you never know. If not try and find someone that has the antenna and DVD, and try to strike a deal with them. WORST case scenario? Torrent the DVD I guess =) But Ł800 is a good price if it's new and from a reputable seller.

    Edit: baring in mind that sometimes its worth a little bit extra to know who you're buying from, so if it comes to Ł900 or so with all the extras... I'd just go with Nigel and save yourself the hassle mate. Or like you say, you've put up with the current set up for yonks, 6-12 months more won't kill you.
    Last edited by iwBen; 20th September 2010 at 11:55.

  25. #24
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Dont see any relevance to my post atall with that comment.
    just saying that i've found one that wasn't stolen
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  26. #25
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by iwBen View Post
    Ah. Ok. Thanks for clearing that up =) Well, have you checked to see if he sells the other parts? If he does, try and strike a deal man - you never know. If not try and find someone that has the antenna and DVD, and try to strike a deal with them. WORST case scenario? Torrent the DVD I guess =) But Ł800 is a good price if it's new and from a reputable seller.
    he said no deals lol
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO