new turbo, remap advice and part number

Reaction score
hello all

recently my turbo decided to give up on me shortly after i had a remap and a milltek exhaust from awesome gti and the car felt like a completeley different one. i have the 140 a3 dsg s line and i am having the new turbo fitted shortly.
correct me if im wrong but is the part number for the turbo gt4719v? and the engine code bkd? is this the turbo that will be replacing my old knackerd one? and also would you guys consider taking the remap off as i am worried that it is this that has made the turbo gone pop. however before the map i recently noticed the turbo coming on boost and going off boost then coming off ect through the gears which sureley would mean it was on its way out?

thanks for any help guys really apprecialte it

regards

ian

Remap probably was the last nail in the coffin of your old knackered turbo. Same thing happened with mine. Don't know how the car was was driven for 36.000 miles before I bought it so it could have been the reason why my turbo gave up at 43k miles.
I'm still running a remap on my new turbo and no problems for the last 5000 miles.

yeah well mine is at 75k and its given up! so i think its lasted quite well. the previous 1 owner was a woman from audi and the car was for sale at 59k and ive had the car about a year and 5 months. the car was imaculate when i bought it. do you guys think i should keep the remap on or would the power be affected by the new turbo put on? do you think i would have to have it reprogrammed again?
cheers
ian

No, if its the same turbo model & not hybrid then no need to remove map or have it redone, just bolt new turbo on & away you go, now if its a hybrid it would need custom mapping tbh.

cheers for the info mate im just worried that it will just happen again you see? have you had any experience? and also i was just thinking because the remap makes the car feel so different would it be likeley to blow again because of the higher pressure running through as wen i had it mapped, the turbo made a completeley different sound than before on full throttle. am i just being paranoid or should the new turbo be able to withstand the remap?

ian

GT1749v is the model of turbo NOT part number. The GT1749v was the standard Garrett turbo used on a wide range of VAG and other cars. You need to make sure the turbo and manifold are correct as they are built as an all in one unit. So just because you buy as GT1749v doesn`t mean it will fit your car. To get the right turbo part number follow either of the two following links
.GARRETT turbos for Audi passenger cars and vans - Applications - TurboMaster
AUDI turbochargers, AUDI turbo, AUDI turbocharger, AUDI diesel injection

or contact any turbo recon company with your car details and they should be able to sort you out.

thanks for the clear up guys. also forgot to mention, after i heard the bang, i turned the engine back on and could hear a rattling noise coming from the drivers side of the car what do you think this is? has some of the bearings come off or the fins? i havent got a clue.

cheers

ian

Dont even start the car again after its gone bang, turning ignition on is ok but not starting.