Hesitation in 3rd gear.

SAiLO

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi wonder if someone could help,

I have noticed a problem with the A3 when I want to quickly accelerate in 2nd and 3rd gear.
Going to about3.5k rpm in 2nd and then quickly changing up to 3rd the car hesitates for up to a second in the third gear and then starts pulling as normal. It's not really noticeable in other gears.

It's 2.0tdi bkd.

Any ideas guys?

Does this do it when it's cold or normal running temps? All VAG engines petrol or diesel I have driven in the past can be a bit hesitant when cold.

I always wait for the engine to warm up before I boot it, so it is always on a warm engine.

How many miles on clock & any previous engine work done?

Just out of interest try switching your ESP off. Could be traction control being a bit too overpowering. I know on my old Golf GTI if I wanted to pull away quickly I would always switch it off as if the traction control kicked in I would lose all turbo and would be waiting for what seemed like forever for the car to spool up and pick up again.

48k miles on the clock, new turbo, cambelt in june.
This problem has been there before but only noticeable when I was driving with 4 passengers before the cambelt or turbo change.
Could it be clutch/flywheel related? I can't recall having that hesitation before changing the clutch/flywheel at the beginning of the year.

Will try switching the ESP off, but don't think that's the case.

Forgot to add the car is remapped, but the problem was not there last year when I installed the bluefin.

Last edited:
When was the maf changed last?

Injectors on these cars have a bad habit of going faulty.

Mechantronic units do cause this aswell.

Check egr & intake flap are ok & not clogged.

Dont **** yourself from that list just few I know of.

Yeah agree my next thing to suggest would have been MAF change. Also just out of interest does yours have an N75 Valve?

Last edited:
Don't think the MAF has ever been changed will unplug and see if that makes any change. Would it only affect the acceleration in 3rd gear?

No errors on VCDS.

How do I check EGR?

Cheers!

No it doesnt have a seperate N75, it has a solenoid valve block that houses multiple valves with 6 small vacuum pipes to it that connect to various engine places, turbo, intake filter system, etc, very much doubt its this, I have a spare one if needed.

MAF can cause all kinds of issues & could even do it at specific times, given its 50k old I'd change anyway for the small cost tbh.

EGR & intake flap are at front center of engine & are bolted onto the manifold, cant miss them tbh, they should have been cleaned out when new turbo went on, but some are lazy & do the minimum, I went further & took the whole manifold of & cleaned the sludge out of this aswell.

Last edited:
Thanks Nige!

What's the best place to get the MAF? Ebay sell it for around £115.
Eurocarparts I could not find any.

Always from audi for a maf, was 70-80 with exchange on mine which is a bkd.

Nice one. I'll go to audi then.

Just to close this thread, I've replaced the MAF and it made a big difference, so thanks for the advice - it was spot on!

Also I would like to add, that EUROCARPARTS are much cheaper than AUDI when buying MAF - Audi quoted me £96.96 after deducting the surcharge, Eurocarparts sold it for around £73 after deducting surcharge.

I just dont get it with the dealers people use, all dealers are supposed to use the same pricing scheme in the UK but seems you guys get higher prices than me & thats before any discount I may or may not get anyway, my MAF was definitely £70-£80 withot a discount, strange, but then again there has been a few price hikes in the last 6 months or so & they have been extreme in some cases.