Chris NottVolks Autos
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 78 of 78
  1. #41
    DaveS3Turbo's Avatar
    Sepang Blue S3

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    if yours was DSG i probably would have been knocking on my bank manager's door weeks ago begging for a loan
    That's a shame, at least you know you could have trusted me / the sale. Let me know in the next month if you change your mind :-)
    2012 Porsche Cayman R Peridot Green MY12
    2011 Porsche Cayman S Basalt Black MY08

    2010 S3 Sepang Blue MY10
    2009 S3 Imola Yellow MY09
    2007 S3 Solar Orange MY08
    2005 A3 2.0T FSI Quattro S-Line 200Bhp MY06 : Misano Red
    2003 A3 2.0Tdi Sport 140Bhp MY04 : Brilliant Black

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #42
    Roswell's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Posts
    311
    I'm guessing by the lack of posts that the RS3 didn't appear at Paris!!??
    2005 - A3 2.0TDI S-Line Quattro

    2008 - S3, Sprint Blue, Buckets, Sunroof, Rear Sensors, BT Phone Prep, Folding Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, BOSE, Flat Tyre Indicator, Phatnoise

  4. #43
    Ash B's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cardiff
    Posts
    5,788
    Quote Originally Posted by Roswell View Post
    I'm guessing by the lack of posts that the RS3 didn't appear at Paris!!??
    Think its suppose to be this saturday? Or i may be wrong
    Dark Vader Half sibling - MyThread

  5. #44
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Video: Audi quattro concept | 2010 Paris motor show | evo

    Ther Audi Quattro concept...shortwheelbase RS5 chassis 2.5 TFSi with 402 bhp!!! i want this
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  6. #45
    S3RYE's Avatar
    Interior Next!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London/Essex
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Video: Audi quattro concept | 2010 Paris motor show | evo

    Ther Audi Quattro concept...shortwheelbase RS5 chassis 2.5 TFSi with 402 bhp!!! i want this
    its amazing... it wil be big money though with carbon brakes.. carbon everything..
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

    Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon




  7. #46
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    12
    Dont look like its happening then hey guys?

  8. #47
    S3RYE's Avatar
    Interior Next!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London/Essex
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    Dont look like its happening then hey guys?
    we shall see.. BMW dont seem to have there 1 Series M there either so maybe not just yet...
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

    Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon




  9. #48
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    its amazing... it wil be big money though with carbon brakes.. carbon everything..
    THe Evo reported seemed fairly convinced it would go into production in the next year or two. That would be amazing, totally different sports car compared to anything else on the market. Relatively small high power turbo engine, 2 seater, front engined & 4wd with luxury interior, what else is out like that? Nothing.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  10. #49
    S3RYE's Avatar
    Interior Next!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London/Essex
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    THe Evo reported seemed fairly convinced it would go into production in the next year or two. That would be amazing, totally different sports car compared to anything else on the market. Relatively small high power turbo engine, 2 seater, front engined & 4wd with luxury interior, what else is out like that? Nothing.
    what about the co driver thing.. sounds sick!!!! i would be out everynighy rallying haha!!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

    Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon




  11. #50
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Frankfurt then?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  12. #51
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Seems odd to me that there are people lining up here to spend Ł40-Ł45k + on a bland Audi shopping trolley that will have hard suspension and vague handling not to mention totally uninspired looks...maybe a new plastic front bumper !! and built on a 7-8 year old chassis. Reminds me of that harry Enfield character and his shop, “I Saw You Coming”.
    Take a look at the RS4 and RS5 now and see how bad the new RS range has become ! they are taking the pee IMHO.
    Look at a Megane Recaro Cup complete with all extras and recaro buckets etc for half the money or the new Astra with 290 bhp unless you want to be sitting in your new pride and joy, Ł45k lighter staring at a 8 year old dash, kidding yourself that anyone will notice the different bumper and that you got to 60mph half a second quicker before you were pulled over by plod in his Astra 1.4 Estate. Come on guys !! have you really got nothing better to do with Ł45k ?? ( that will become 25k in a couple of years anyway).
    Last edited by paddy; 1st October 2010 at 16:32.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  13. #52
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Seems odd to me that there are people lining up here to spend Ł40-Ł45k + on a bland Audi shopping trolley that will have hard suspension and vague handling not to mention totally uninspired looks...maybe a new plastic front bumper !! and built on a 7-8 year old chassis. Reminds me of that harry Enfield character and his shop, “I Saw You Coming”.
    Take a look at the RS4 and RS5 now and see how bad the new RS range has become ! they are taking the pee IMHO.
    Look at a Megane Recaro Cup complete with all extras and recaro buckets etc for half the money or the new Astra with 290 bhp unless you want to be sitting in your new pride and joy, Ł45k lighter staring at a 8 year old dash, kidding yourself that anyone will notice the different bumper and that you got to 60mph half a second quicker before you were pulled over by plod in his Astra 1.4 Estate. Come on guys !! have you really got nothing better to do with Ł45k ?? ( that will become 25k in a couple of years anyway).
    Not that i'm one of those myself, but people will spend the money to have the badge, afterall if that wasn't the case none of us would drive Audis at all.

    The reason I wouldnt be rushing out to get one is that I really can't see the point. The majority of people here who have an S3 have got at least a stage 1 map giving them anywhere between 300-330 bhp depending on other mods. So I really couldn't see the point myself in wasting an extra 10-15k on very little in the way of tangible gains.

    If i was to be in the market for an RS model, it would be a proper mans RS like the RS6 or at the very least the RS5, none of these pony little 2.5L engines thanks very much. If I had 45k to spend on a car, it' wouldn't be an Audi though....*cough* Porsche *cough*
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  14. #53
    S3RYE's Avatar
    Interior Next!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London/Essex
    Posts
    3,456
    I agree with both of you paddy and beanoir, which is why I'll wait. If it really is that good I'll wait until they are 28-32k and grab one then! Or buy a 1 series M

    Did I just say 1 series?
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

    Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon




  15. #54
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209

    Q

    Quote Originally Posted by S3RYE View Post
    what about the co driver thing.. sounds sick!!!! i would be out everynighy rallying haha!!
    Me too! that would be awesome, automated co-driver on the sat nav!
    Really hope they made a road version of this Quattro concept now..although would be a few years before I could afford one of them!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  16. #55
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Seems odd to me that there are people lining up here to spend Ł40-Ł45k + on a bland Audi shopping trolley that will have hard suspension and vague handling not to mention totally uninspired looks...maybe a new plastic front bumper !! and built on a 7-8 year old chassis. Reminds me of that harry Enfield character and his shop, “I Saw You Coming”.
    Take a look at the RS4 and RS5 now and see how bad the new RS range has become ! they are taking the pee IMHO.
    Look at a Megane Recaro Cup complete with all extras and recaro buckets etc for half the money or the new Astra with 290 bhp unless you want to be sitting in your new pride and joy, Ł45k lighter staring at a 8 year old dash, kidding yourself that anyone will notice the different bumper and that you got to 60mph half a second quicker before you were pulled over by plod in his Astra 1.4 Estate. Come on guys !! have you really got nothing better to do with Ł45k ?? ( that will become 25k in a couple of years anyway).
    i agree with most of that, not that the RS3 won't be a nice car. i just don't really see the point. doesn't mean i don't want one tho!
    Last edited by sub39h; 1st October 2010 at 20:53.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  17. #56
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Seems odd to me that there are people lining up here to spend Ł40-Ł45k + on a bland Audi shopping trolley that will have hard suspension and vague handling not to mention totally uninspired looks...maybe a new plastic front bumper !! and built on a 7-8 year old chassis. Reminds me of that harry Enfield character and his shop, “I Saw You Coming”.
    Take a look at the RS4 and RS5 now and see how bad the new RS range has become ! they are taking the pee IMHO.
    Look at a Megane Recaro Cup complete with all extras and recaro buckets etc for half the money or the new Astra with 290 bhp unless you want to be sitting in your new pride and joy, Ł45k lighter staring at a 8 year old dash, kidding yourself that anyone will notice the different bumper and that you got to 60mph half a second quicker before you were pulled over by plod in his Astra 1.4 Estate. Come on guys !! have you really got nothing better to do with Ł45k ?? ( that will become 25k in a couple of years anyway).
    The rule of `diminishing returns` my friend, this is a classic case.
    And value for money is rarely a consideration when buying a luxury item.

    Agree that 40K+ would be a lot for any incarnation of the A3 new or old platform, but if it had circa 350bhp, 5cyl Turbo, and the obvious 4wd then it has no peers in the uber hatch sector. Therefore if you want that combo in a classy hatch then you will pay the price tag.

    IF it evers comes I would love one, not sure I could stump up for a new one though.

    Cant believe no one has mentioned the Cayman yet...

    cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  18. #57
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Cayman !! Cheaper than a 5cyl A3.........Now that makes you think !
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  19. #58
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Cant believe no one has mentioned the Cayman yet...
    I said Porsche, close enough surely!?

    Cayman...amen
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  20. #59
    N8
    N8's Avatar
    Kowalski Details

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Salford, Manchester
    Posts
    17,113

    My Social Networking

    Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Cayman is just not quick enough.


    "Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

    Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

  21. #60
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Cayman !! Cheaper than a 5cyl A3.........Now that makes you think !
    An RS3 would rip a Cayman S in a straight line, and just because its engine would only have 5 cylinders to the Cayman's 6 that hardly makes it inferior. Downsizing is the current engineering trend and everyone is proving how smaller displacement turbo'd engines can totally annihilate naturally asp. engines for efficiency, emissions and performance, while they have advanced in leagues and bounds with throttle response compared to older turbo'd engines. A 3.4 Cayman S may be freer revving but with 'only' 5 cylinders a 2.5 TFSI would demolish it while sounding equally sweet.

    Also if they make the RS3 yes it could may around Ł40k but you do think a standard Porsche Cayman or S comes well equipped as standard? You need to spend a good Ł4-5 K extra at least to specc it up with Bose, auto lights etc , while Audi may be stingy they are certainly not be as bad as Porsche. Even on the Panamera you must pay extra for a rear wiper!

    The 8P interior is hardlly brand new but certainly is not dated and even on my 8P2 its still a lovely and high quality place to sit, even better on the 8P3facelift models. My friends have current Boxter and Cayman S and the quality of the interior esp switchgear is poorer, and the dashboard design dull as ditchwater! Both things you have criticised he A3 for while infact its certainly better then a Cayman in this sense. And on the RS3 with buckets, FBMFSW and certainly other new RS special details it certainly would be a lot nicer.

    For probably around the low Ł40Ks your looking at an aggressive, well built, stylish but subtle looking and practical car that can be easily tuned to well over 400 bhp reliably. A cayman or used 911 maybe more involving and certainly sharper to drive but RS4 excluded fast Audis have always been about amazing grip and traction, explosive turbocharged acceleration in a practical but stylish form. As an all round car it would be excellent, and a very big wolf in sheeps clothing.
    May be expensive for the age of the chassis its based on but with amound upgrades to the suspension and drivetrain it'll hardly be the same as an A3 2.0TDI underneath with a bigger engine.
    Last edited by akash_sky1; 2nd October 2010 at 13:07.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  22. #61
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    If Porsche can make a Cayman for Ł42k, a purpose build drivers car with an exclusive badge, a car that left the design board having been designed for the job ..then explain to me how a Aunty molly shopping trolley like an A3 which will be compromised to the hilt in RS form can ever be justified at more money than the Porsche ? Even on a good day the A3 chassis is hardly cutting edge…lol if only because its ancient in car terms and only ever designed to be a little hatch back. The A3 is a nice car but the reason there is no RS3 and never will be in my view is Audi know that they would have to peg it up with the TTRS cost wise and they have taken the A3 as far as practice in the S3 anyway.
    Apart from that you are completely missing the Cayman joke anyway.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  23. #62
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    If Porsche can make a Cayman for Ł42k, a purpose build drivers car with an exclusive badge, a car that left the design board having been designed for the job ..then explain to me how a Aunty molly shopping trolley like an A3 which will be compromised to the hilt in RS form can ever be justified at more money than the Porsche ? Even on a good day the A3 chassis is hardly cutting edge…lol if only because its ancient in car terms and only ever designed to be a little hatch back. The A3 is a nice car but the reason there is no RS3 and never will be in my view is Audi know that they would have to peg it up with the TTRS cost wise and they have taken the A3 as far as practice in the S3 anyway.
    Apart from that you are completely missing the Cayman joke anyway.
    i don't think price is an issue. it didn't stop Ford selling out the RS500 very, very quickly indeed. People will buy an RS3. i know because if i had the money i'd buy an RS3. It's straight line speed will be as quick as the Ł80k R8. Yes it won't be the be all and end all on a track, but it's certainly going to have had its chassis improved so that it'll be good enough.

    yes it's "compromised" as such because it'll be heavier because of it's 4 doors and 5 seats and boot space, but at the same time i think cars like this are going to be the performance buy for the future. cars are becoming more and more expensive to run, and drivers are constantly being squeezed. i think having a car like this which allows you to drive to a track day, have a blast and then take the car to work in the morning and drop your 3 kids off to school in on the way will be the compromise people have to make.

    i agree the A3's chassis isn't stellar, but it's not terrible either. the TTRS seems to be a very good car, and the A3 has similar underpinnings so it's not unfair to suggest that it'll be pretty good, and very very able for a "shopping trolley". Car Magazine UK did a piece a few years ago where they tested loads of supercars. you'll have to forgive me because i don't remember the whole list but some of them were the R8, 911 GT3 RS, there was an RS4 kicking about, a Lambo i believe, but as a down to earth comparison they took along a Golf GTI and they said that during fast drivign on fast roads the GT3 RS, a purpose built track day car, wasn't convincinly able to lose the hatchback that cost 1/4 of it's price. yes it'll get mullered on a track but in the real world it's clearly adequate.

    so yes there's no point. yet. but there will be in the future and this car will be seen as relatively pioneering i feel. and it doesn't detract from the fact that it'll be a hugely desirable product.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  24. #63
    1animal1's Avatar
    The Clar!! it mouves!!!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    9,988
    i cant believe someone wrote Megane,Astra and RS3 for comparison sakes in the same paragraph

    it may or may not be competition on a track, but from a corporate perspective why the hell would Audi aim for the same 'boyracer' audience that Vauxhall and Renault are so commonly associated with - lunacy would be the word of that day
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

    Black FZ6 - Turbo car 'slapper'
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

  25. #64
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    i cant believe someone wrote Megane, Astra and RS3 for comparison sakes in the same paragraph

    it may or may not be competition on a track, but from a corporate perspective why the hell would Audi aim for the same 'boyracer' audience that Vauxhall and Renault are so commonly associated with - lunacy would be the word of that day


    Oh come on !! audi are aiming at the same boy racers...who else is going to buy hot hatches ? don’t tell me you have fallen for this Audi myth of charge twice as much get twice as much !! Given that Audi own Skoda and a Skoda mechanic works for half the hourly rate of an Audi mechanic that should give you a clue about the this corporate nonsense
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  26. #65
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    We are over analysing this gents (and lady when Sarah comes along).

    The `fabled` RS3 would be peerless, 350 ish bhp, pretty, compact, 4wd, safe, 4 seats, 5cyl Turbo, desirable badge.

    99% dont care about the original design philisophy, the Corrado was a parts bin mish mash, more than the sum of its parts. Expensive, sold in relative small volumes, but now a modern classic and lauded for its abilities and coolness.

    Besides, Paddy will have heart attack if AUDI release a 40K+ 8P based A3, hes a good sort, not sure if I want an RS3 for his sake!!!!

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  27. #66
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,043
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post

    Oh come on !! audi are aiming at the same boy racers...who else is going to buy hot hatches ? don’t tell me you have fallen for this Audi myth of charge twice as much get twice as much !! Given that Audi own Skoda and a Skoda mechanic works for half the hourly rate of an Audi mechanic that should give you a clue about the this corporate nonsense
    OOop North, Boi Racers dont have 40K to spend on a McDonalds chariot. You Southerners are must be far too privelaged.
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  28. #67
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Sorry Paul...Old men racers

    If you are spending 40k + on an A3 then you must have the house you always wanted and your kids in a decent education. a decent pension policy and no fear of redundacy .......like akash......
    Last edited by paddy; 2nd October 2010 at 21:41.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  29. #68
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Besides, Paddy will have heart attack if AUDI release a 40K+ 8P based A3, hes a good sort, not sure if I want an RS3 for his sake!!!!

    Cheers
    Paul
    Turning the pace maker up as i type mate .lol
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  30. #69
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Sorry Paul...Old men racers

    If you are spending 40k + on an A3 then you must have the house you always wanted and your kids in a decent education. a decent pension policy and no fear of redundacy .......like akash......
    I mentioned in an earlier post I would get one used! certainly wouldn't buy one new even if i could afford it right now.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  31. #70
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    An RS3 would rip a Cayman S in a straight line
    I'm intrigued as to how you know this, given that the RS3 doesn't even exist yet? And even so, let's assume an S3 with a remap and mods with 330bhp (the figure that people are banding about for the RS3), that'll not do 0-60 in sub 5 seconds.

    A TTRS manages the 0-60 in 4.6, but is a fair bit lighter than an S3, so an RS3 with the 5cyl engine will be even heavier, so I can't see the RS3 being as quick as a TTRS, so again probably not sub 5 seconds, or maybe just under if you're lucky.

    Having said all this, we don't know what the specs for this car will be, it even ever turns up. But, based on assumptions, I dont think that is going to "rip" a Cayman S, even in a straight line.

    Either way a few tenths of seconds either way is not why i'd buy a car anyway. My point was that there is an awful lot to life than an Audi, especially with around Ł40k to play with.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  32. #71
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier post I would get one used! certainly wouldn't buy one new even if i could afford it right now.
    what you mean if you could afford it ? my mate's looking for a place to work next year (2nd year out of dental school) and he wants to go for a job that "only" pays Ł50k so he'll have a chilled out life
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  33. #72
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    My dentist charges over Ł300 an hour ! so a 40 hour week brings in Ł12k a week less expenses or Ł600k a year......Even Audi only charge Ł150 an hour but then they haven’t a clue what they are doing so that would explain the difference
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  34. #73
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    I'm intrigued as to how you know this, given that the RS3 doesn't even exist yet? And even so, let's assume an S3 with a remap and mods with 330bhp (the figure that people are banding about for the RS3), that'll not do 0-60 in sub 5 seconds.

    A TTRS manages the 0-60 in 4.6, but is a fair bit lighter than an S3, so an RS3 with the 5cyl engine will be even heavier, so I can't see the RS3 being as quick as a TTRS, so again probably not sub 5 seconds, or maybe just under if you're lucky.

    Having said all this, we don't know what the specs for this car will be, it even ever turns up. But, based on assumptions, I dont think that is going to "rip" a Cayman S, even in a straight line.

    Either way a few tenths of seconds either way is not why i'd buy a car anyway. My point was that there is an awful lot to life than an Audi, especially with around Ł40k to play with.
    Mark is spot on, I used to know a motoring journalist who said that to get those factory 0-60 times they kill the clutch ( and car) in a matter of minutes. You can add a second or two in the real world with road tires and normal driver. Look at “what car” 0-60 true times! they never get the factory figures. The factory put out a basic car as light as possible, 1ltr of petrol and a midget driver, Ultra sticky tires inflated to 60psi and a super sticky track…then dump the clutch from 6k rpm. It’s a bit like factory mpg figures that they get under simulated driving on a RR with no wind resistance or hills…..
    People still quote these figures like gospel but the fact is its nonsense because a good driver can be worth a lot more in time saving than the second or two you see on quoted 0-60 times. I would say a good driver in an S3 will probably be quicker than Mr average in a RS3…if there was such a thing. I bet if you drove a S3 on the ragged edge on the roads you wouldn’t drive an RS any quicker because people bottle out long before they reach the limit of most cars.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  35. #74
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Mark is spot on, I used to know a motoring journalist who said that to get those factory 0-60 times they kill the clutch ( and car) in a matter of minutes. You can add a second or two in the real world with road tires and normal driver. Look at “what car” 0-60 true times! they never get the factory figures. The factory put out a basic car as light as possible, 1ltr of petrol and a midget driver, Ultra sticky tires inflated to 60psi and a super sticky track…then dump the clutch from 6k rpm. It’s a bit like factory mpg figures that they get under simulated driving on a RR with no wind resistance or hills…..
    People still quote these figures like gospel but the fact is its nonsense because a good driver can be worth a lot more in time saving than the second or two you see on quoted 0-60 times. I would say a good driver in an S3 will probably be quicker than Mr average in a RS3…if there was such a thing. I bet if you drove a S3 on the ragged edge on the roads you wouldn’t drive an RS any quicker because people bottle out long before they reach the limit of most cars.
    i was under the impression that the times quoted were with a driver and passenger, half a tank of fuel and a realistic luggage weight for 2 ppl. that's why they're often conservative and when ppl like Car & Driver test them they get better figures
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

  36. #75
    paddy's Avatar
    Audi=No fault code, no idea

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    5,135
    I think you will find there are a lot of people like Akash who set the standard by manufacturers figures so manufacturers tend to put the fastest possible figures down for their cars, it = more sales. If Vauxnall could get away with saying their new astra 290 is quicker than an S3 believe me they would ! I also dont think audi's quoted times for the S3 are conservative !
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

    Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

  37. #76
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Quote Originally Posted by sub39h View Post
    what you mean if you could afford it ? my mate's looking for a place to work next year (2nd year out of dental school) and he wants to go for a job that "only" pays Ł50k so he'll have a chilled out life
    Haha well I can't complain so far but next year have my eyes set on getting a much bigger flat or a penthouse so that will probably take priority first!
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  38. #77
    beanoir's Avatar
    Sharpest Tongue in the West

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    51 Degrees North
    Posts
    2,173
    Wasn't it Audi who had a few problems with the quoted 414bhp of the RS4, and actually not a single one ever made anywhere near that when people had them on rolling road sessions, I could be wrong but i'm sure there was some story like that?
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

    www.essexdriversclub.com

  39. #78
    S3RYE's Avatar
    Interior Next!!

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London/Essex
    Posts
    3,456
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Wasn't it Audi who had a few problems with the quoted 414bhp of the RS4, and actually not a single one ever made anywhere near that when people had them on rolling road sessions, I could be wrong but i'm sure there was some story like that?
    you are right!! they were all like 380ish!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

    Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon




 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO