Concert III Radio Problem...

jb0o

Reaction score
Website
jonathan-butler.co.uk
Afternoon all,

My Symphony II HU was in need of replacement, and whilst I have the RNS-E, I still need a decent replacement for the Symphony II for when the car moves on and I strip back to standard, so I managed to snatch up a cheap Concert III radio from a MY08 A3.

Because the Concert III uses the Quad-lock plug I assumed it would all be well using the cables that I use to power the RNS-E, but it doesn't seem to be.

The only thing that I can guess is that the Plug&Play plug that I have installed in my '04 car to allow the RNS-E to function is completely different to the setup of the Concert III HU, but surely if Concert III owners are able to install an RNS-E without any additional cables, then surely this should be working for me?

Hopefully I can sort this out but I need your help to help me with the plug diagram. Can anyone tell me which one represents the live feed from the battery?...

IMG00154-20100914-1327.jpg

Thanks,

+UB is one, I seem to recall... and "DI SENS" is another... I think they may possibly BOTH require power.

When you say Concert III I presume you mean Concert 2+...?

Thanks for the reply Keith, and yeah its the Double-Din Concert with the MP3 function.

I can't understand why its not firing up - the live feeds that you pointed out to me match up fine to my cars wiring....

I bet its something silly like the fuse, lol.

IIRC the concert 3 has a different antenna system to your 04 car, the 04 car has the rns-e compatible antenna system whereas the concert 3 is not, so beware when fitting you may experience degraded radio station signals.

Ah *****, I'm assuming that links with the problems that the MY07 chaps are having?

Everything checks out with the cables, so I can only assume that the fuse has gone, unless this chap has sold me a faulty radio, lmao. Off to Maplins.

Yes rns-e convertors with the newer DD radios are experiencing this issue which JohnS3 kindly did a writeup on to resolve, yours would be the opposite, just buy a cheap compatible radio mate, job done.

Anyway back on cue, have you even stuck a meter on the wires to see if live or not, assuming you turned ignition on aswell when testing.

I did the antenna system 'downgrade' on mine to work with the RNS-E... everything worked perfectly well even before I changed the antenna boosters (switched diversity versus phase diversity) it's just that I wanted to get rid of the "ZF antenna short-to-ground" message on my VAG-COM scans...

By the way, what I'm calling "concert 2+" is this radio:
IMG_7214.jpg

Here it is with the antenna boosters...
IMG_7212.jpg

just in case we're talking about different radios.

-What's the issue you're having? -is it just bad radio reception, or is it not powering up?

Keith

Thats the correct radio Keith.

Its just not powering up... I've tested the fuse and the wiring all seems to be fine, but it just wont power up.

The wire from the battery is working fine, as it powers up my RNS-E perfectly.

Have just checked again for the live feed from the battery, and there is NO pin going to the "DI SENS" pin, the 12v feed goes straight to "+UB"

You are nearly there. Just piggyback a cable from +ub to the di sens pin and it will work hunky dorey.

You will need to swap antennas over though , I did this swap and the reception rapidly degraded from terrible to non existent.

As NHN has said, better getting shot of the 2+ and putting and original back in if it is only for selling the car on.

Thanks for that Scottie.

I will probably just get shot then tbh, got it for £11 so should make a tidy profit lol.

I was just wanting the MP3 function, but oh well!

When I sold my Concert 2+, I included the antenna boosters precisely because I wasn't certain of the antenna issue... I'd done it the OTHER way round (removed Concert 2+ and put in RNS-E) but I hadn't put a Concert in place of an RNS...

But yes, that other 'permanent-live' pin (shown with me soldering to it in the first pic) is present in Concert-2+ equipped harnesses... Get the appropriate repair-wire and just link it over to the permanent positive right next to it (the red wire going to pin "+UB" and you should be good to power up the Concert 2+.

I remembered that there was something about this pin not beiong powered in all harnesses, which was why I mentioned it earlier, but I can't recall.

For what it's worth, my radio reception suffered -at MOST- a 5% degradation with the 'wrong' parts in there, so you too might not notice too much difference, if you're living in an area with decent signal reception...

All it's going to take to try it out is that one pin, and tapping in the security code.

Keith

...If I read it right, and the primary purpose if this is to have something in there 'that works' for when the car is sold on, so you can keep the RNS-E, you may find that the radio reception is adequate for your needs.

For eleven quid, it's what I'd do. -Don't forget that many people don't even use the radio nowadays, instead they use iPod/CD etc.

Keith

I will probably just get shot then tbh, got it for £11 so should make a tidy profit lol.

You wont make any profit as you've wasted alot of time trying to get it to work, what people forget is, Time = Money end of, even if its your own time. :)

Yawnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Maybe with some more foresight you'd get the fecking point!!!!

Hi guys,
I currently have a symphony II (one with tape deck) in my 2006 A3 and was thinking of changing to MY08 Concert or Symphony unit.

Are you saying that the RNS-e quad-lock adapters wont work for that?

Thanks

Yes quadlock adapter will work as it also goes from iso to quadlock, but with some wire moves possibly, but antenna system would be different, so you would possibly notice degraded radio signals, also why not upgrade to an RNS-E, PM if ever interested.

Thanks. I'll see how it goes and hopefully i'll find some help here if i need it with the wires.

Would like RNS-e but not quite got that much cash :(.

I did the antenna system 'downgrade' on mine to work with the RNS-E... everything worked perfectly well even before I changed the antenna boosters (switched diversity versus phase diversity) it's just that I wanted to get rid of the "ZF antenna short-to-ground" message on my VAG-COM scans...

By the way, what I'm calling "concert 2+" is this radio:
IMG_7214.jpg

Here it is with the antenna boosters...
IMG_7212.jpg

just in case we're talking about different radios.

-What's the issue you're having? -is it just bad radio reception, or is it not powering up?

Keith

hello vw addict could you help me please..

i am having the same problems with having poor reception on my concert ii+ which i changed from the original symthony ii. could you repost them pictures and explain in detail how to get half decent radio reception because at the moment the radio works ok without the engine/igntion on but as soon as i turn that key all the way it just goes into white noise

cheers kai

Hi! I have the same problem with my Concert3, it doesn't power on.
I had a mk2 rnse with the adapters from kufatec. I'm returnig as much as possible to stock and I want to replace the rnse with this concert.
I thought the adapter I had will also work with the concert but it seems I was wrong.
What do I need to do in order to have it working?
Is it enough to run a wire between +UB and DI SENS?