Sportback with Alu Rails- Akoya Silver or Silver?

cdb2

Reaction score
Trying to decide on the colour for my Sportback which will have Aluminium Rails and 5 Spoke Star Alloys. I'd be keeping it for about 4 - 5 yrs.

It's down to 2 colours and I basically can't decide between Akoya Silver and Silver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Some views I have had are that Silver is too common, Akoya is a touch girly, Silver may be better in the long term for resale, Akoya is more interesting, Alu Rails won't look right on a Silver Sportback....Not saying I agree or disagree with any of these, just some of the comments I have had, both good and bad about both.

What do you guys\girls think personally and what do you think of the comments I have received so far?

All comments re Akoya Silver and Silver on a Sportback with Alu Rails gratefully received, please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks!

I don't mean it! I like it, as I do Silver, was just what someone said to me!

So any views anyone on what colour?

In the photos Akoya silver looks really good but it definately has some pink in it when you see it in the flesh. Colours are always personal preference but I think silver looks better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Personally I think silver is boring (and everso common)and won't contrast with the wheels or rails. Also suspect that silver will become the "new white" - that is people won't touch it within a year or two for aforementioned reasons. Akoya is much nicer imo - but does look rather "purple" in the flesh. What about Dolphin?

In an ideal world I'd go for the de-chromed look. Maybe Lava grey with matt black rails and grill surround, with huge black wheels to match.
Personally I find the alu rails look too bling on darker cars (but would look fine on Silver / Akoya / Dolphin) in the same way that polished alu wing mirrors look very D5 on anything but silver cars. No offence to anyone with these combos, just my opinion!

(Sportback 2.0 TDi SE, Lava Grey, small crappy wheels)

You just got to follow your heart....
Personally the silver doesn't do it for me. Better to contrast with the alloys, Ebony or Dolphin.
Whatever happened to the old favourites like Merlin ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
steveb said:
Personally I think silver is boring (and everso common)and won't contrast with the wheels or rails. Also suspect that silver will become the "new white" - that is people won't touch it within a year or two for aforementioned reasons. Akoya is much nicer imo - but does look rather "purple" in the flesh. What about Dolphin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%.. silver is sooo boring...every golf out there is silver :) Didn't realise thta akoya is pinky... went for that :)

lol!.

I have to admit, I do really like Akoya, but it is a bit pink/lilac in some lights!...My Wife loves the colour so that says it all!

(ducks for cover! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The first time I stumbled across an A3(8P) it was an Akoya one. I loved it!

When the time came to order my own A3 (sportback) it turned out my girlfriend wasn't too keen on Akoya. I saw a plain silver one at one of the dealers. That definately didn't do it for me. The silver on my current car (Vectra /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif ) looks a lot nicer. I'm not sure if it was the shade of silver on the sportback, or the fact that it was the el cheapo version with the awful looking wheels, but it looked quite boring.

Anyway, had it been up to me alone, I would have probably gone for Akoya without looking any further. I test drove a Mauritius Blue 3 door A3 which looked the business, so I went with that color in the end. About a week later I saw a Mauritius Blue sportback at another dealer and that looked stunning, so I'm happy with my choice of color!

Second thoughts on the upholstery though. The matrix cloth is reasonable, but a few days ago someone posted some pics of the inside of their sportback with matrix cloth, and it seems that the doors are also covered with that cloth and I didn't like the look of that at all. I had expected the doors to be just black. The photo's were not very hi res and I think the jpeg artifacts & moiré made the checkered pattern look worse than it actually was (looked like tartan), but I now wish I had opted for leather.

Already tried to change my order to Leather/Alcantara two weeks ago, but it seems you can't change the order once the factory has confirmed the order and put the car into their planning.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Synthdood,

I do not know what colour you have gone from in Matrix... I went for grey, and it looks so cool, very sporty, even in the door panels... the extra cost of leather is really not worth it (in my opinion anyway).

I must admit though, I did change my order last minute as well, as originally I was going to go for blue matrix, until I realised that if I did that, all the dash board and everything would be a shade of blue... it looked so cheap and nasty... Yuk! (again... in my opinion)

Proline is package of options. The combination depens on which model you have (standard/attraction, SE/ambiente, Sport/ambition). I have the sports and in my case the proline contains climate control, Radio-CD and the center armrest. I get the impression that this is the kind of stuff that UK models kind of get as standard.

Us Dutch sods have to pay extra for everything. With the high taxes here, they keep the cars very basic so that the price doesn't get too high.

[ QUOTE ]
BravePilot said:
Synthdood,

I do not know what colour you have gone from in Matrix... I went for grey, and it looks so cool, very sporty, even in the door panels... the extra cost of leather is really not worth it (in my opinion anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

I though the cost of leather wasn't worth it too(I was way over budget anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif). In fact I'm not too crazy about complete leather interiors. It's okay when they are new, but once they start creasing and crumpling and become shiny, it gets kinda tacky. The alcantara on the other hand looked very smart too me (just too ****** expensive). That's why I went with cloth. BTW: I'm glad to hear that you like the cloth. It puts my mind at ease. Thank you! Do you maybe have any interior photos that show the cloth or maybe a high resolution one than the one posted earlier?

When the sales guy was entering my order in their system he didn't have an option for choosing the cloth color combination, so we just ordered a black interior. I later went back to them about this, because I wasn't sure what I was going to get and was slightly worried about this. He called the importer and they said that with a black interior it was black/grey cloth by default so that is what I expect to get now. After reading your reply about the fact that black/blue cloth also means a blue dashboard things start too make sense now. I guess that if had opted for the blue plastic I would have gotten the black/blue cloth. It looks like it works the other way round here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I testdrove a 3-door A3 that had the black/blue matrix cloth, but I'm sure the dashboard was completely black. Looks like the possible combinations of interior cloth and dashboard color is differtent between the 3 door and the Sportback.