Activating OBC

A3-ALF

Reaction score
My 07 A3 1.9TDi SE doesn't have the OBC activated and doesnt have a multi function wiper switch. This is probably a silly question but would changing the switch activate the OBC or is that too simple. I've seen a switch on ebay and if it's a straight forward mod then would like to go for it.

Similar question for front fogs are they plug and play I'd need to get a new switch for the dash but does anything else need to be sourced (other than lights and surrounds) like a relay or recoding at the dealers?

OBC, you're referring to the DIS, new stalk & coding as long as you have a DIS already then shouldnt be an issue, if no DIS then replacement cluster & this needs to be coded to the car as involves the immo aswell.

Fogs, well need to check compat with the central electrics board in the car, do you have access to vcds to scan the car?

Also, welcome to the site :)

Thanks for the welcome :sm4: Fraid I don't have access to vcds TBH I'm a real numptie when it comes to electronics and don't really understand what all the acronyms like DIS, immo etc mean :huh: but I'm keen and any guidance is very much appreciated.

Alan

Digital Info System as in digital lcd screen in your cluster.

Immo as in immobiliser that stops your car from being nicked without the keys.

OK so I need to identify if I have DIS already fitted? I suppose that would only become obvious by scanning the car, certainly all the trip and milage temp and clock displays are in separate panels either side of the centre display would that tend to suggest that the car doesn't have DIS.

Alan

Should be fairly obvious tbh mate, get a pic up on here of your cluster when ignition turned on then we can be specific, but in the center of the console does it show a lit up red lcd with digital info or just backlit lamp icons?

Here's what I've got

095.jpg

Alan

Yes I see the door open icons same as that picture on mine.

Alan

Then you dont have DIS & need a new or used cluster, I might have 1 for sale soon.

I've got an 07 1.9TDi SE without the driver information display but I have just installed fog lights. The physical side of fitting the fog lights is the easy part. Wiring them in was a bit of a pig. There are companys out there that will do it for you...at a price, Kufatec do the whole kit. The one part that is a bit of an obstacle is that options have to be activated on the cars on board computer. That's ok if you know someone who can do this for you, or you use the VCDS members list on NHN's post signature. Go to a dealer and they will charge you an arm and a leg.

When I first got my car I was a bit disappointed it didn't have DIS and I suppose given the choice now I would have it installed, but it just depends what your priorities are: I have installed bluetooth, an Ipod connector (both of which I know would be even better with DIS) rear parking sensors and the front fog lights. What would I still do, well... Shiny straight tailpipes, 18" BBS alloys, 30mm lowering kit, multifunction steering wheel and DIS I suppose, but these, other than the tailpipes I think are out of my league, certainly at the moment.

Shiny straight tailpipes, 18" BBS alloys, 30mm lowering kit, multifunction steering wheel and DIS I suppose, but these, other than the tailpipes I think are out of my league, certainly at the moment.

If you mean out of your league in actually doing, then thought process like that will get you nowhere mate, positive attitude & learning is how I have been able to do the things I do, you are more than capable of doing these things given what you've done already to your car, only thing needs dealer intervention is the DIS, rest give them a go.