turbo gone... absolutley gutted

Reaction score
hi guys just need some advice.

just went out in the car today, i have a 2006 2.0 tdi dgs 140 and had it remapped at awesome gti. wen i got home i went for a drive. didnt blast it at all on a quiet road had my foot half way down, when i heard a bang and smoke poured out of the exhaust. called my mate mechanic and he said it was definiteley the turbo.
previous to this whilst jsut normal driving in second gear i have experienced the turbo sort of spooling up, coming on boost like it should but then quickly cutting out. then coming back on then cutting out then back on again so it seems like it was on the way out anyway.
just after some advice on where to get a new turbo, how much it would cost and where is the best place to get one as i am absolutley gutted. i was thinking of contacting awesome however i get the feeling they will say it was down to me who chose to get the mep ect.

hope you can get back to me asap guys

regards and thanks in advance,

ian

TBH sticking vanes issue could happen anytime which is whats happened to yours, its a common issue on these ****** 8P's & as much as I cant stand awesome, I cant see them being to blame this time.

I would go for hybrid now mate, I know someone who can sort this for you aswell as map it for the better turbo setup, PM for more info.

Its an uprated version thats in your car now, they either supply a new one of your current & change the internals setup or they modify your existing with the internals mods.

Creates more boost thus more power when mapped correctly

Sounds good
Might need to look into that. Btw you said you would give me a price for the single to double din conversion I already have a 2din climate unit spare btw

Somebody mention hybrid turbo`s .....:eyebrows:

lmfao yeah wondered when u'd pop in for a chinner wagger

Yeah late on tonight. Was taking a friend out for a "enthusiastic" drive in my R32 when sort of blew something up. ***** happens as they say....

Noooooo you been too heavy footed again lol! Showing off no doubt!! haa haa

Sure you have the odd turbo lying around for sale!

I don`t bother with second hand turbos. More hassle then they are ever worth and scrappies want stupid money for them as people will pay stupid money for them. Ian if your turbo has blown you can get a good recon one with 12 months warranty for about £100 more then some grubby second hand thing that could be on it`s last legs. Even if people do give warranties on second hand turbos its only for the money back what you paid for the turbo not any labour charge for fitting/removing or if it happens to chew the turbo bearing and spit them straight into you engine. If you get a hybrid turbo you then need a remap,then a better exhaust,then a better airfilter,then better brakes,then better suspension then better ....

Yeah late on tonight. Was taking a friend out for a "enthusiastic" drive in my R32 when sort of blew something up. ***** happens as they say....

I missed this one, what did you pop?

If you get a hybrid turbo you then need a remap,then a better exhaust,then a better airfilter,then better brakes,then better suspension then better ....

It tends to go that way whether you want to or not huh lol

I dont like hybrid turbos at all, they will break sooner or later... to the OP, i would check for split boost hoses before blaming the turbo. What colour was the smoke, blue or black ? If it was black, most likely you blown a boost pipe. If it was blue, stop driving it at all and tow-it to the garrage as chances are the shaft broke and will take the oil seals wich will result in engine runaway ! You will only be able to stop the engine by puting the gearbox in 5th and stamping on the brakes to stall the engine... If you quick enough and dont panic you can save the engine if not, you can break the engine or at least bend a few rods !