JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance

Thread: DSG

TQS
    1st Gear

Status

DSG

Just wondering what folks' thoughts are regarding LOW mileage on a 6 year old 3.2 V6 with DSG - any warning signs to look out for, especially if it hasn't been serviced for around 3 years

I haven't been around for a while but may be coming back in to the Audi fold

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    When you go for a drive, just make sure that all the gear changes, up and down, are nice and smooth

I bought a 2007 2.0TDI with 23k on the clock, and i had the get the DSG box replaced under warranty due to a fault with it
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks - 23k isn't that low for a 3 year old car...! does anyone have any experience of buying an older low mileage car?

Do these cars (3.2s) all have a service indicator? Is the servicing done based on mileage or should (must?) they also be serviced every 12 months?

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Bump - i am aware that the car is due a service although i'm not aware of any service indicator lamp being on - what sort of things should have been serviced on a car of this age/mileage??

Any input would be most appreciated

6th Gear

Status
    You haven't specified the mileage....
    Currently driving a 55 plate Ford Mondeo ST. But as Arnie once said...

I'll be back!!!

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Just over 30k

Audi=No fault code, no idea

Status
    Pull the knob sticking out of the Speedo and you will get the service info. If you dont like pulling knobs get a lady friend to do it.

Sit in it in Neutral and try and hold the revs at 2k rpm.....
    Other than that it will need a gearbox oil change sooner rather than later and personally i would recon on a full service anyway if its been standing around for 3 years. Check for perished tires etc. At 30k miles it should give you years of fun.
    Ibis white Revo S3 and now matching Vivaro LWB HR 2900 :-)

Many people are alive because its illegal to shoot them.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the advice - I will def make sure it's serviced if I buy it - is the servicing based around age or mileage on these cars?

Also, is there a big difference between an 04 and the sportback that is worth paying a premium for? As far as I can see he changes are mostly cosmetic??

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Also, what are the key servicing milestones on this car - are they age or mileage related?

Really appreciate all advice

Audi Heaven

Status
    Difference between 04 (by that I assume you mean 3dr?) and Sportback were that the Sportback came with the full grill at the front and later steering wheel.

That car should be set to time/distance servicing so because of the low mileage it should be serviced yearly. The original owner from new should of been given the option in relation to how many miles they would do in the car. Why has it not its services done is more the question?? Brake fluid every two years. I am not sure what BIG services are on the 3.2 but I think the 40k (or 4 years) is a biggish service. The 3.2 has a timing chain so that not such a worry though they do stretch which cause idle problems. With 30k on the clock it should be tight and probably not quite run in even! Ring the dealer who last serviced the car for any information. I assume you have or have seen MOT's to verify the mileage??
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    The 3.2 has 2 chains and can be checked via VCDS regarding stretch.

Check with previous dealers the car has been to, even Audi UK Customer Service may have info on it too!

If its sat that long, all oils will need changing, DSG and Haldex for the Quattro. Test drive it well, take for quite a drive if you can so it warms up but also try from cold. Try turning locks for steering rack issues and as Said above check for the hesitation.

TBH there have been a few threads on various 3.2 issues in the last few days, read those too.

If you do get the car, you will love it, I do.

Good luck

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

Status
    TQS
    A sportback is a 5 door A3. A 3 door A3 is not a sportback.......for sport back read estate.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the tips - will fully check the history when I see it
    It has been driven regularly ovethe last three years but just not very far! Only a few thousand miles per year and the owner has unfortunately neglected to service it because of he few miles which is what's putting me off
    On the flip side the sportback I'm also looking at is newer, fully serviced but a high miler - > 70k miles

Dilemmas eh? Still, it's a nice position to be in I suppose

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    TQS
    A sportback is a 5 door A3. A 3 door A3 is not a sportback.......for sport back read estate.
    Surely a 5 door sportback isn't an estate?
    I thought that was an avant!!

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    Pull the knob sticking out of the Speedo and you will get the service info. If you dont like pulling knobs get a lady friend to do it.

Sit in it in Neutral and try and hold the revs at 2k rpm.....
    Other than that it will need a gearbox oil change sooner rather than later and personally i would recon on a full service anyway if its been standing around for 3 years. Check for perished tires etc. At 30k miles it should give you years of fun.
    So i test drove a high miler earlier today - the car drove fine and felt tight enough although the interior was a little tired but i spose that is to be expected given the +70k miles it's covered - i also tried the holding revs at 2k and it struggled to be honest - it managed to hold for a couple of seconds but it then wavered about and steadily dropped before increasing again - does this sound like an engine pressure issue? Would you be concerned at buying this car??

Petrol Feet

Status
    Hi there, another point to look at is how rusty the brake discs are if the car has been sat for some time they will be quite heavily pitted and may require replacement to obtain full brakeing efficiency, i dont mean light surface rust either that you get after the car is washed that wears off instantly if after you have test driven it they are still very rusty.Negotiate 5oo off the asking price for this, the front discs and pads from Audi are 260 ish just to buy. cheers.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    It has been driven regularly but just not very far so I'm told.. Will check the brakes out thoroughly though

What's the deal with the trouble I was having holding the revs at 2k? Should that be something to worry about?

6th Gear

Status
    some 3.2s have issues with their mapping so they develop an intermittent misfire/hesitation around 2k. a good quality remap will sort it
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Ok, this is the thread on the Hesitation, its a long thread of 20 pages and the fixings start around page 15 I think (ish!)

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/new-a3-...-~-2k-rpm.html

Basically not any map fixes it, you need an ecu map from Audi that updates the ECU. Some Dealerships are charging but it is worth it. Read the thread, all you need to know is there and thanks to a persistant member who never gave up and alot of help and head stratching from other, lots of us all benefited and got ours sorted

Mauritus Blue 3.2 V6 S Line Quattro DSG Xenons Sunroof Leather Sat Nav/Changer/TV/Text W8 & Int Light Pack Dark H/Lining Tints PDC S3 Kit '11 Rears Sachs/Eibachs & more... Build Thread

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Will give that a read, thanks a lot for mentioning I shd be looking out for this, the car I drove today drove well and pulled fine but, as you mentioned, it struggled to hold 2000 rpm..

Am seeing a another to tomorrow, are the any other key elements to look out for? I'm not necessarily looking to beat the guy down on price, I just want to make sure that if I buy it, none of he major components go pop due to something obvious I didn't check

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Oops just clicked on it and see what you mean will give it a good read!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    TBH if it does have the hesitation it wouldn't put me off. Its an easy and cheap fix. The Timing chains are the biggest issue if they need changing! Big big job. Mine will be due soon I guess but im willing to do it as the car is worth it.

5th Gear

Status
    Hi Sarah, Don't know why you say your chains will need doing soon??

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Well when mine were checked it showed -8 but after an oil change dropped to -7 but not checked them since. I'll keep doing a few oil changes to clean it up as the 3.2s can be dirty engines so im told. If they stay at -7 then the stretch is fine lol and tbh i'm in no rush to do them. I can get them done cheaper than the stealers but still dear!

5th Gear

Status
    From what i,ve read those reading mean nothing as they are self adjusting.........

Also from what i,ve read regular oil chainges are key to extending engine life.... How many have you heard of actually snapping tho.... not many hey!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Yeh thats what I though, hence not rushing lol

I had decided when I bought the car to do a few oil changes and I will do it to clean it up, its easy enough to do so I dont mind.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Sarah - will I be able to tell if the timing needs changing?
    I suppose it could be an issue if the car hasn't been serviced regularly but my purchase is subject to service

5th Gear

Status
    Yeah i'm chain(ing) my oil this weekend. I read that an issue is that the long life oil can put a layer of crud on the engine and that it can increase oil pressure and stretch chains.

For the price of a mid. oil mid. service life oil change I think it's well worth the bother!

Come to think of it if yours is giving a lower figure that reading cant be useful can it as a chain cannot un stretch. Wonder if that oil change has changed that figure... interesting hey. Mine were at 0 and -1 last time i checked.....

5th Gear

Status
    TQS if there are no VAGCOM errors and it's not rattling like a ***** i would forget all about the chains.

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    Yeah i'm chain(ing) my oil this weekend. I read that an issue is that the long life oil can put a layer of crud on the engine and that it can increase oil pressure and stretch chains.

For the price of a mid. oil mid. service life oil change I think it's well worth the bother!

Come to think of it if yours is giving a lower figure that reading cant be useful can it as a chain cannot un stretch. Wonder if that oil change has changed that figure... interesting hey. Mine were at 0 and -1 last time i checked.....

Nope cant UN stretch but can adjust lol! You on the beers already Jon lol!

MODERATOR V6 S3 Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by TQS View Post
    Thanks Sarah - will I be able to tell if the timing needs changing?
    I suppose it could be an issue if the car hasn't been serviced regularly but my purchase is subject to service
    If the chains are stretched the chains become rattly and the cams are out so the idles rough. Hence why some thinks it that when it was the hesitation. Dont overly worry.

5th Gear

Status
    I guess that makes sence S but I guess there is a range it won't go back to. Does yours rattle?

Yeah might have had a tipple

Status
    My chains were shot.....but there was no rattle. the rattle is more likely to be the tensioner and there lies the problem. People change the front tensioner because its an easy job ( the second tensioner is part of the timing cover and is a lot of work and 500 FOR THE PART alone) Changing the front tensioner pulls all the slack in the chain to one side of the sprockets and that throws the cam timing out so a stretched chain usually starts to show as a fault code for cam position sensor ( set point not reached etc) Your variable timing cams/sprockets will compensate a little for chain stretch but really you are on a slippery slope at that point.
    These chains should last the life of the engine but early ones were prone to stretch because the maker stamped his name so deep in the side plate/links it weakened them. Audi policy is up to 3 years , under guarantee, up to five years possible good will, over five years you’re really on your own. If you do the job you need to change the chain ( just one) tensioners (both) Cam sprockets and drive sprocket/ Cam solenoids, Recon on about 1500 for parts and be aware they will need to drop the engine and gearbox to replace them so the bill will be Expensive at 150/hour at a main dealer

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    Eek - how do you define an early one?

Status
    04-05, Its not a problem with the later 3.2 lump in the A4 and A5 but it shows up in the R32 MkIV's as well i think.
    Last edited by paddy; 11th September 2010 at 13:18.

TQS
    1st Gear

Status
    i test drove the 04 car and it seemed to run fine - would this be picked up at an Audi full service? Is there a fault code?

Status
    If there is a fault code it will be a knock on fault, as i said the first sign on mine was the cam position sensor.

16395 - Bank 1: Camshaft A (Intake): Retard Setpoint not Reached (Over-Advanced)
    P0011 - 008 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent