R8 brakes on s3

s3 harry

Reaction score
Thought it was time for a brake upgrade so got some R8's from ebay.
Wanted to fit them under standard rims so sent them to dave brown
and he sent it back as a kit ready to fit so big thanks to dave.

Fitted yesterday think it looks good:yes:

100_0586.jpg

100_0587.jpg

100_0585.jpg

100_0589.jpg

Links, approx prices, any difficulties in fitting, how long it all took, who's Dave Brown, where's he based? Basically any info would be good, rather than just a "look what I've done" kind of thread.

smiley-rolleyes010.gif

Looks good! Are they the same calipers as TTRS,RS4? and price?

First go at this so bare with me

The brakes came from ebay. It took half a day to fit but that was mainly getting the rim to fit back on
had to use a 15mm spacer, still a bit close so going to try a 20mm spacer. Would prob be easer with after market
19's but i wanted to keep std rims.
The price havn't added it all up but will be around £1500

Does changing brakes change the needed ET as well?
[/QUOTE]

Can you explane what ET is.

As far as i know rRS4,RS6 and R8 are all the same brembo 8 pot callipers with different disks TTRS are 4 pot i think

That's great, makes it a far more useful thread with info like that in it. It means other people have an idea how to follow in your footsteps.

ET is offset. The fact you needed a 15mm spacer means that the offset of the wheels was too high, the spacers corrected it. Also, why change to 20mm? Either they catch now or they don't.

They are very close there needs to be about 3mm clerance because the callipers could expand when they
get hot. So going to try 20mm idealy could do with being 18mm

did you use the R8 carrier (metal bracket between calliper and hub) or the orginal S3?

Had to have custom carrier's made to fit s3 hub and r8 calliper.
Std s3 callipers don't have removable carriers

Thanks for the reply. I guess thats whats dave did for you (custom carrier's)?

My only worry would be 20mm spacers will look a little odd as the wheel will be pretty much flush with the arch. You will need some spacers on the back for it to look right!

I have R8 rear calipers on my A3 along with S3 rear, via Dave Brown as well, he is a ledge.

I'm sure someone will enlighten us eventually. Who the hell is Dave Brown?!!! Apparently he's really good at what he does, but nobody seems to want to tell anyone what that is, where he does it, or how much he charges for doing it!!
:banghead:

I'm sure someone will enlighten us eventually. Who the hell is Dave Brown?!!! Apparently he's really good at what he does, but nobody seems to want to tell anyone what that is, where he does it, or how much he charges for doing it!!
:banghead:

uk-mkivs

That's his Uk-Mkivs.net Username he can be contacted there, BUT he is no longer doing any kits as far as I know it says this on his Sig on that forum as he is too busy with his day job. I have seen some of his stuff in the past and I know of him from when I had a Mk4 Golf.

HTH Mitch.

Joe

Cheers Joe, it's nice that someone actually wants to let people know what/who they're on about, for those of us that aren't psychic.
:icon_thumright:

I find this works a treat
crystal-ball.jpg

....or drop Derren Brown a text.

Paul

Yeh just a guy who sells brake kits on the side of his job being a pilot, I've never known anyone in my life who knows more about brakes, my cousin now has 6 pot Carrera GT calipers on his TT! Guy is a ledge.

Yeh just a guy who sells brake kits on the side of his job being a pilot, I've never known anyone in my life who knows more about brakes, my cousin now has 6 pot Carrera GT calipers on his TT! Guy is a ledge.

any pics nath?

hmm how much would a set of r8 fronts cost?, im considering ditching the saings for miltec with butterfly valve or summer bbs for them, and throwing my s3 fronts on the back, any problems with pressure in the pedal?

So N8 you have R8 rears & S3 rears, interesting setup.

was interested in going r8 fronts with s3 fronts on the rear if possible

the R8 rear uses a separate caliper for brakes & handbrake, the foot brakes are radially mounted like the front & the handbrake is like conventional attachment.

Which may give us ideas of how to achieve that handbrake mod huh Ew.

Feck me Nate, your rear braking must be out of this world lmfao

Nice brakes!

NHN - Are you going to sell this wing mirror to me or not you ******? Drop me a PM if it takes your fancy!

Yes mate, sorry I wrote a poxy pm & that got deleted when laptop shutdown, then the poxy adsl which has taken 2 months to work at new apartment was being worked on, so now at missus parents place using there internet, yes I would be happy to offload a mirror to you.

Feck me Nate, your rear braking must be out of this world lmfao

Braking is immense, no pedal travel whatsoever, absolutley perfect, just what I was after.

wow theyre ermmm.... small :ninja:

Only running 334mm discs to save weight, the calipers are quite big, they are the rear caliper of a Carrera GT.

Only running 334mm discs to save weight, the calipers are quite big, they are the rear caliper of a Carrera GT.

sarcasm nath.. they look massive! i cant believe they are the rears!! but then i remembered the Carrera GT has Carbon Ceramic fronts...