Tyre Size

B111COR

Reaction score
Used the search but just cant find what I'm looking for:unsure:
Would I have any issues with a 235/40/18 tyre on 8" rims on a standard set-up Quattro S-Line, I know 225 is the way to go, but I really need some rim protection for the wife :laugh:

Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.

Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.

Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim

Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim

It won't just be the width of your tyre that increases, it will be the side wall depth also.

225/40 has a wall depth of 90mm
235/40 has a wall depth of 94mm

Last edited:
Ahh, didn't know that, thanks guys, may just stick with the 225's and ban the wife from driving !!

Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??

Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??

I already have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 225/40's, they do have rim protection, but just not enough:crying:

someone said once that you can code your tyre size in vagcom. so if you do go for a different tyre you can code it to make the speedo accurate. you have to have the same width of tyre on all 4 corners as well cos you have a quattro, and you may get some rubbing but it depends on the make cos they all have different shoulders and some rub and some don't - apparently.