AH FabricationsBadger5

Thread: Tyre Size

Reverse Gear

Status

Tyre Size

Used the search but just cant find what I'm looking for
    Would I have any issues with a 235/40/18 tyre on 8" rims on a standard set-up Quattro S-Line, I know 225 is the way to go, but I really need some rim protection for the wife

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
    Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
    The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
    Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
    The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.
    Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B111COR View Post
    Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim
    It won't just be the width of your tyre that increases, it will be the side wall depth also.

225/40 has a wall depth of 90mm
    235/40 has a wall depth of 94mm
    Last edited by Ads; 3rd September 2010 at 14:41.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Ahh, didn't know that, thanks guys, may just stick with the 225's and ban the wife from driving !!

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
    Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??

5th Gear

Status
    My Eagle F1's have a bit of a rim protector

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by three View Post
    Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
    Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??
    I already have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 225/40's, they do have rim protection, but just not enough

6th Gear

Status
    someone said once that you can code your tyre size in vagcom. so if you do go for a different tyre you can code it to make the speedo accurate. you have to have the same width of tyre on all 4 corners as well cos you have a quattro, and you may get some rubbing but it depends on the make cos they all have different shoulders and some rub and some don't - apparently.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors

GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!