AH FabricationsBadger5
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Tyre Size

  1. #1
    B111COR's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Andrews, Fife
    Posts
    26

    Tyre Size

    Used the search but just cant find what I'm looking for
    Would I have any issues with a 235/40/18 tyre on 8" rims on a standard set-up Quattro S-Line, I know 225 is the way to go, but I really need some rim protection for the wife

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    akash_sky1's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Glasgow (Sheffield occas.)
    Posts
    1,209
    Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
    Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
    The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.
    A3 2.0TFSI quattro Sportback Lava Grey | | GIAC K03 Extreme Map | Autotech HPFP | RS4 Fuel Regulator | Neuspeed P-Flo | BSH PCV Fix | MV Sport DP | S3 Intake Cam | 285 BHP & 320 lb Ft Torque
    Votex Kit | TD Pro race 1.2 | Schwarze Audi Rings | Alu Rails | Sachs Clutch | H & R Now gone. Current- A5 Cab 2012


  4. #3
    B111COR's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Andrews, Fife
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by akash_sky1 View Post
    Your speedo would become slightly inaccurate, as the rolling radius would be grater, your speedo would under-read slightly more.
    Go on Tire-Rack and it will tell you the percentage change in your speedo accuracy.
    The steering would become a bit more numb as well and there would be slightly more sidewall flex.
    Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim

  5. #4
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Quote Originally Posted by B111COR View Post
    Surely the width of the tyre wouldn't affect the speedo? Its 225/40/18 on at the moment on a 7.5" rim
    It won't just be the width of your tyre that increases, it will be the side wall depth also.

    225/40 has a wall depth of 90mm
    235/40 has a wall depth of 94mm
    Last edited by Ads; 3rd September 2010 at 14:41.

  6. #5
    B111COR's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Andrews, Fife
    Posts
    26
    Ahh, didn't know that, thanks guys, may just stick with the 225's and ban the wife from driving !!

  7. #6
    Ads
    Ads's Avatar
    License to drive

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,223
    Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
    Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

    Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??

  8. #7
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,245
    My Eagle F1's have a bit of a rim protector

  9. #8
    B111COR's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Andrews, Fife
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by three View Post
    Yeah, I didn't realise this either at first.
    Basically, changing the width has a knock on effect that changes the whole tyre (diameter and circumference, but not the rim that it fits).

    Why don't you buy some 225/40's which are designed with rim protectors already??
    I already have Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 225/40's, they do have rim protection, but just not enough

  10. #9
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,502
    someone said once that you can code your tyre size in vagcom. so if you do go for a different tyre you can code it to make the speedo accurate. you have to have the same width of tyre on all 4 corners as well cos you have a quattro, and you may get some rubbing but it depends on the make cos they all have different shoulders and some rub and some don't - apparently.
    2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line.
    DSG | 18" BBS Pescaras | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | Symphony II | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
    MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Weitec Hicon GTs | RNS-E 2010 | Controls Pack (Red Stitching)
    PLANS: Dumbos | 8P3 S-Line Rear Bumper | OEM Parking Sensors


    GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN:
    2005 Ebony Black A3 1.6 Sport tiptronic. You will be missed!
    1997 BMW 316i Coupe M-Sport. You won't be missed quite so much!

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO