Whistling Noise Under Acceleration?

taylorc

A4 BE Quattro S-Tronic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I noticed today that under hard acceleration I can hear what can only be described as a slight whistling noise, it almost sounded like air either rushing in or out of somewhere within the engine bay (although it's not very loud).
Has anyone ever encountered something like this or have any idea on what it could be?

Thanks

Turbo spooling up or might be an air leak somewhere on the pressurised pipes.

It does seem to increase with engine load (although on normal roads it's hard to test properly), if it was an air leak how much impact would it have on performance because I can't say I have noticed that much of a drop in straight line pull tbh

Thanks

How do you know if you are loosing boost through one of the turbo pipes ?

How do you know if you are loosing boost through one of the turbo pipes ?

This is why I can't understand why Audi don't fit a boost gauge onto their performance vehicles, when I owned the Focus ST it was easy to see if there was any change in how the car was boosting but with the S3 you have to rely on VAGCOM (which I don't have)!

I believe that you can use it to data log boost pressures (as well various other feedback signals) whilst giving the car a run (although I have personally never done it myself, my car was data logged by the Revo dealer (not sure what software he used)).

In answer to your original post and like others have said, it sounds like the Turbo winding up mate. Mine does the same.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm going to keep my eye on it but as some of you have said it does sound like the Turbo spinning up but if it starts to feel sluggish i'll take it in to get it looked at.

Cheers