Chris NottVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Michelin PS3 review, not sure it suits the S3!

I have now completed 1000 miles with the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres on the front. I had the existing Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric tyres moved to the back during the PS3 fitting, they had 6mm left so a good comparison.

Pros:-

Softer sidewalls make the ride slightly more comfortable over the Goodyear.
    Wet weather performance feels better than the Goodyear in standing water.
    Road noise less compared to the Goodyear.

Cons:-

They are more expensive.
    They look very average.
    I am not sure they suit the S3, I have never seen the traction light come on so much in the dry since they have been fitted. Mostly over camber changes or ripples with significant power applied. Not sure if the softer sidewall means the tyre is moving around more than the Goodyear but if it doesnt improve I will be moving them to the back. My S3 is due the Haldex oil change in 2,000 miles but can believe this would affect it ?
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Interior Next!!

Status
    yes they look average... (in terms or tread pattern) i think the sidewalls are smart on them...

with regards to the traction light...
    1. turn it off!!
    2. i use PS2's and they are no joke twice as grippy as the contis that came on the S3, they are the grippiest tyres ive ever used!!
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

Rarely neutral

Status
    I had Bridgestone RE010s on mine when it arrived and changed to the F1s,before making another little change.

The reviews of the PS3 all seem to reflect what you've found in that wet grip is excellent and probably the best in the class,but the dry grip has been reduced over the PS2,which I've also used.

I don't think that changing the Haldex oil will make any difference to the grip levels though.

Onto the little change I mentioned....I kept my F1s for winter use,and bought a set of Toyo R1Rs....the dry grip is as you might expect,markedly better than any of the tyres I've used so far,and the wet(not standing water) grip is actually not far behind the F1s,although you do need to be careful with standing water around.

One other point....for what it's worth,youre now running a setup with different grip levels front and rear,which may have some bearing on your findings.

1st Gear

Status
    I was thinking the same thing, the mixed tyres may not be helping and is not recommended on haldex equipped cars

08 Ibis S3, REVO stg2+, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, ITG intake, BSH catch can, H&R springs, 19" MTM's, Lamin-x'd
    ???bhp, ???ft/lbs

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JustCharlie View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, the mixed tyres may not be helping and is not recommended on haldex equipped cars
    I cant believe they would be so sensitive, when you have fronts at say 4mm and the reers at 7mm it never did it and I cant believe the grip on the PS3 in the dry is loads worse ! Who knows very odd.
    Audi S3 (8P) most of the extras apart from the bucket seats.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4CAB View Post
    I cant believe they would be so sensitive, when you have fronts at say 4mm and the reers at 7mm it never did it and I cant believe the grip on the PS3 in the dry is loads worse ! Who knows very odd.
    It doesn't relate to the tread depth as much as the tyre compound and pattern,and I'm quite sure that two different tyre grip levels front and rear can result in changes in handling.

The PS3 as I said before,in some reviews is noted to have very good wet grip levels,but is certainly no better than the PS2 and possibly worse,under dry conditions.

5th Gear

Status
    Not an S3 but remapped 170 TDI and I've had 2 sets of PS2's and now a set of PS3's on mine now and think they are fantastic. Loads of grip in the wet and dry and I get about 18k out of the fronts despite 310+lb/ft of torque going through the wheels!
    Sold: A3 2.0 TDI 170 S-line | Full leather | BOSE | Phantom Black | Bluefin
    Now: Mini John Cooper Works

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Not an S3 but remapped 170 TDI and I've had 2 sets of PS2's and now a set of PS3's on mine now and think they are fantastic. Loads of grip in the wet and dry and I get about 18k out of the fronts despite 310+lb/ft of torque going through the wheels!
    That's very good mileage from those tyres,as compared to F1s for instance,and I'm trying not to think about what the R1Rs will do!

2nd Gear

Status
    i have had ps3 fitted for around 1000 miles also .i had ps2's all round before and the ps3 is better all round than the ps2's i had on before!
    for the first 100miles until the new tyres had scrubbed in yeah traction light come on but since then its not been on since and i have been out a chucked it around county roads around me to see just how good they are!
    oh my a3 is a 2.0t quattro

Yey :)

Status
    I have an S3 and I think that the PS3 are leaps and bounds better than any other tyre I have used in anyother car.
    Audi S3 '07 Sprint Blue
    In the process of modding :D

4th Gear

Status
    l had ps2s on for 24k, good tyre. had the traction light on quite a few times. got ps3s on now, never had the light on. good tyre, a bit noisier l think, but l cant fault them other wise.

3rd Gear

Status
    Same here had ps3 fitted after swearing by conti sc2's or eagle F1's before and i think there better in any condtions,never really had a tyre grip from day one before as normally they have the greasy surface on the rubber which takes a good few hundred mile to get off but not with these 500 for 4 through work i got them

Phantom Black S3,Giac stg 1,Evoms intake,Lamin-x
    (to do list,update signature pic)

Rarely neutral

Status
    I'll remember all of the good feedback here for when the F1's I'm saving for winter wear out.

Right now I'm delighted with the Toyo R1Rs for summer only!

1st Gear

Status
    Changed from 050A to PS3.
    A huge difference specially steering feel & dynamics. Overall a much better tyre.
    Highly recommended.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us